Log of 1000 Truths

AaronD

So let's give it a shot, what the hell?

Day 1:

Breakfast - Egg white omelet w/ peppers and onions, mixed berries, black coffee (I know, eat the yolk!)

Lunch - Salad (spring mix, baby spinach, watercress, radish, cucumber, scallion, carrot, cabbage, bell pepper, jalapeno, evoo, balsamic vinegar), grilled chicken, granny smith apple

Dinner - EDIT: Two organic 85/15 Trader Joe's burgers, 1 salad (similar to above) and a small sweet potato

Happy Day 1 to you! That salad sounds delicious and flavorful. May I suggest more fat and protein at dinner? 1 (or maybe 2) beef or lamb burgers, roasted or baked sweet potato, and more salad. I am a big fan of having many burgers or meatballs already cooked and handy. I was squeamish about touching raw meat at first, but I got over it in a hurry. You got this!

Great name. And bravo for jumping in!

Agree 100% with Amy. More fat. When I rely too much on chicken I feel tired and snacky. The fat in a piece of slow-cooked brisket or ground beef /lamb powers you through. With chicken you'll want to add more fat from avocado, etc.

I have plans to make a stew I found on a paleo site yesterday tonight, but it's crockpot so it'll have to cook overnight. I'm just concerned about dinner today, I guess. Maybe I'll stop by the store on the way home and pick something up. I'm really trying not to stress over what I'm going to eat but easier said than done.

Welcome and happy day 1! Just curious why you did not eat the yolks if you know you should? A meal 1 with no fat usually sets you up for a hangry day. Plus all of the nutrients in the egg are in the yolk.

Used to the old way of dieting... Yolks were the enemy :)

Yay, you started!

One of my go-to dinners is a baked chicken breast. If I decide early enough (as in, an hour before I want to eat), I'll chop up a sweet potato and a potato (that's for my husband who won't touch sweet potato with a 10 foot pole) into small chunks and put those in the oven to roast. After 30 minutes, I put chicken breasts on an oven tray, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with garlic powder and cajun spice. 5 minutes before the hour is up, I blanch some broccoli or beans, or make a salad (whatever I have in the fridge to cover the veggie part). It's easy - you can't whip it up in 5 minutes, but you're just putting things in the oven and letting them cook.

Husband loves chicken cooked like that and he's not even doing the Whole 30 or paleo. And, most importantly, I like it!

Anywho, find yourself a couple of meals like that which work for you and those days when you're not sure will take care of themselves :)

Thanks everybody for the great advice and motivation! I was able to successfully complete day 1 yesterday without cheating! WOO! Day 2 I've tried to plan a bit more.

So for breakfast: 2 eggs over easy, tabasco, salt/pepper. mixed berries. 1/2 an avocado

QQ: Avocado is so BLAND! Any suggestions on making them easier and tastier to eat? I also can't be eating eggs everyday. Don't need my cholesterol spiking. What else can I eat for breakfast? I don't have time to cook in the morning so the work cafeteria can work but it's hard to find compliant stuff there.

For lunch, I made Beef Tajine from FastPaleo.com:

http://fastpaleo.com...-inspired-stew/

Was really easy and just threw it in the crock pot overnight. Also had a salad similar to yesterday with grilled chicken.

Also brought some fruit, granny smith apple and a banana just in case.

Dinner will probably be more beef tajine and a sweet potato and salad. But I need to go grocery shopping. Dinner might be light.

EDIT: Lunch

EDIT 2: Had 2 hard boiled eggs before my run today.

It has been pretty well debunked that dietary cholesterol has any effect on blood cholesterol. I eat 4 eggs for breakfast many days during the week. If eggs are your primary protein for a meal you should eat as many as you could hold in your hand (whole of course)

That said remember that meal 1 doesn't have to be breakfast foods. It can be leftovers from dinner too. I personally love eggs so I eat them most mornings but I mix it up sometimes.

Avocados are something I had to make myself like but I do now. But I can't eat them straight up. You got lots of good advice on that in your other thread.

Have you invested in any Paleo cookbooks yet? Read It Starts With Food?

Have you invested in any Paleo cookbooks yet? Read It Starts With Food?

Not yet. I am going to Costco tomorrow to see if they have ISWF. Also looking into getting "Well Fed". Looks like my kinda book!

Not yet. I am going to Costco tomorrow to see if they have ISWF. Also looking into getting "Well Fed". Looks like my kinda book!

Both great! Check out Practical Paleo as well. It has some great recipes and lots of great information. Not all Whole30 compliant but most are.

Congrats on getting started. I don't eat eggs because I have a sensitivity. I had been eating Greek yogurt for breakfast prior to Whole30. What I'm doing now is cooking up ground sausage from the butcher. I eat that with some veggies that I cook the night before. It makes an easy throw together to take to the office. Any leftovers are good. When it's warm out I enjoy a morning salad with some chicken and apple cut into it.

Nomnompaleo made a bunch of different great looking frittatas during her Whole30. She has pictures of all her meals on her site. Very inspirational.

I think I totally screwed the pooch on my log from yesterday. I started it in the morning and edited it during the day. At one point I totally lost track! LOL :P

So today I am going to wait until the evening to even try to update it.

I tend to 'label' my meals: meal 1 meal 2 meal 3. It is much easier to rock out a steak and broccoli for meal 1 than 'breakfast'. Do you like olives? I have found and made some olive tempanade to put over avocados... with some cooked & seasoned ground beef or pork... and some salad greens and other random veggies. Stick to the meal template! Good Luck :)

So here's day 3!

breakfast:

2 cups of coffee w/ a spoonful of coconut oil

2 eggs w/ peppers and onions

mixed berries

lunch:

salad w/ avocado, oil and vinegar

beef tajine from yesterday

hard boiled egg for a snack

dinner:

seared ahi tuna cooked in olive oil

oven roasted asparagus w/ olive oil

sweet potato

picked a couple grapes since the bowl was out!

EDIT: Had a handful or two of raw macademias before bed because i couldn't stand the hunger anymore!

you need to eat more for sure. 2 eggs for breakfast? I KNOW it's hard, but you should have at least four (as many as you can hold in one hand). I eat four eggs for breakfast and I'm pretty sure your hands are bigger than mine.

if you are concerned about cholesterol/etc I can tell you that after 4 months of eating 3-4 eggs for breakfast every single day and some days with additional eggs my total cholesterol dropped by 17 points, my triglycerides dropped by 70 (!) points. the pre lab work was actually from about 3 years ago, I would guess that these numbers were actually higher (I would guess my total cholesterol decreased by much more than 17 and my triglycerides as well). my HDL:triglyceride ratio changed significantly (ratio which is more indicative of health). it should be below 2. originally it was 2.5, now it is 1

I eat A LOT of fat per day - maybe more than "recommended" but I feel satisfied and full. I love avocado and coconut milk, I make hazelnut milk and eat nuts. I was eating coconut butter the other day when one of the doctors I work with came up and looked at the nutrition label and shook his head in amazement. since starting whole30 I never even THOUGHT to look at the fat content. now I know why. HOLY COW! and guess what...I've lost over 25 lbs and 20 inches.

eat up buttercup.

just out of curiosity, I decided to see how much fat was in my meal that I was eating as I was typing. two spicy sausages (16 g fat each) and a handful of macadamia nuts (21g fat) plus butternut squash soup (with coconut milk so I would say an extra 4 or 5 grams)...OH, and I put a little ghee in the bottom of the pan when I make the sausage (let's add another 2-3 - especially since once it's cooked I make sure I drain ALL the fat into the soup...it tastes better that way. don't know why :lol: :lol: ) so that's...about 60 grams of fat?! in ONE meal? ok, they aren't all like this, but you get the idea. I can promise you I will not be hungry for the rest of the afternoon and most of the evening. dinner will likely be light just because I won't be as hungry, but there are days when I am still hungry for a good dinner and have something substantial again.

and I can promise you I will NEVER add my fat grams from one meal up again. DANG, I had no idea. my poor brain needs to go sit down and forget this conversation ever happened before my old weight watchers brain comes in and calculates "points"

Archived