Tuna contained soy. Do I have to start over?

Got home late, didn't feel like cooking, so I brought out a can of tuna and tossed it into a salad.

Then I saw the label and it says "contains soy".

Specifically this brand: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starkist-Solid-White-Albacore-In-Water-5-Oz-Cans-Tuna-4-pk/13398022?findingMethod=rr#Ingredients

Do I have to start all over again, i.e. this slip up is serious enough? Or is this a very minor slip up that I can do the 30 days as planned?

I'm so upset about this.

How far along are you? No matter how far you are, now is the time to check and re-check your labels. This kind of slip can be avoided.

Depending on how far along you are, there is a chance you might be able to recover from an exposure to soy during the program, although I'm guessing soy would definitely be something you'd want to add some days on for, if not adding 30 more.

Hopefully, a moderator will step in with a definitive answer.

• Moderators

I wish I had a definitive answer. It is probably okay to keep going with this one soy exposure. The tricky thing is that some people are very sensitive to soy and even a little exposure can make a noticeable difference. If it were me, I would keep going, but if I did not feel good at the end, I would consider extending for a while.

I was on day 13 when this happened. I'll continue, and maybe delay the reintro a week or so.

I do think I have a sensitivity of some sort to soy. I know it's too early in my W30 to tell, but I feel something not agreeing with me in my gut. Plus I have hormone issues (estrogen dominance), so I'm pretty sure I will be needing to avoid soy indefintely.

I feel terrible right now. This morning I had a stomach ache and minor diarrhea which I attributed to the soy. Felt ok throughout the day, if not a little low on energy. Now this evening I have a major headache, lying in bed and not wanting to do anything.

If this is really due to the slip up with soy, then wow I had no idea how it really affects me. It seems extreme for such small amount in a can of tuna. Can it really be?

• 2 weeks later...

Gahhhhhhhh. SO frustrated to read this! I had been eating canned tuna the past week and a half (plus a few other times during the rest of the time on my W30). Today is day 14 for me... All last week I'd have a can as my post-WO meal with 1/2 sweet potato plus I had tuna salad yesterday and today for lunch (3 cans over 2 meals). Plus I had a batch of tuna salad during my first week of W30... I'd say 10 cans of tuna spread over the past 14 days, with most of them being over the past 7-8 days.

So, should I just modify and change this into a W45 instead of 30? I should have known better to read the label, but honestly I figured that canned tuna *in water* would be safe. Any words of wisdom (other than the lecture-sounding "read the labels" speech) on how to proceed?

Bethany.. do you have any cans left? I got the Nature's promise and they literally just Tuna and water.. so maybe yours are too?

Yes, I checked them yesterday when I got home from work. :( I'm going to turn my W30 into a W45. Mentally, I can't fathom "starting over" at day 1 again. I figure if anything, extending into a W45 will only help me in the long run to make this into a total lifestyle change. I will have to look for Nature's Promise tuna... I really liked the tuna salad I made (a couple different variations of it), so I will find a compliant tuna and just get it every 2-3 weeks instead of having it every week, since I'm sure its more expensive. :blink:

Archived