So tired during my runs......

Ok, I'll be honest here. I ate a low carb diet for several months a few years ago and my running sucked the entire time. It just never felt as good to run on fat as it did to run on glucose.

With the Whole30 I run better because I am not as fat adapted. I am a big advocate for adding in sweet potato or starch veg until you feel a bit ligher on your feet. You will still eat waaaay fewer carbs than someone on the SAD diet.

I'm in the midst of 1/2 marathon training and currently on day 29 (woot!!).

The first 2 1/2 weeks of Whole30 my runs suffered. I kept with the mileage increase per my training plan, but my runs were a full minute per mile, sometimes even more, slower than pre-Whole30. My legs felt like they were full of lead and might just fall off mid-stride. 

I usually don't have a pre-WO meal (hurts my stomach), but if I do, it is not a source of carbs, but a little protein and fat. I make sure to ALWAYS eat a post-WO meal immediately (within 15 minutes) upon finishing my run, whether I'm hungry or not... a sweet potato or plantain and protein. 

My recovery after runs started to improve first, and then my runs themselves started feeling better. Then my times started to improve.

This past Saturday, I ran 8 miles (for the first time in my life) and felt great the whole. My times were back to normal, with the last 2 miles actually faster than my pre-Whole30 average! I had NO soreness the day after.

Yesterday I went out for 5 miles, and my times were even faster and I felt even better. 

All this just to say, for those who are feeling discouraged, HANG IN THERE! Listen to your body. Don't expect it to preform the same the first few weeks. Ease off. Just make sure you are following the plan, eating your post-WO meal, and getting enough starchy carbs.

It will start to come together and feel better. The timeline will be different for everyone, but it does get better. Better than the first few weeks of Whole30, and even better than pre-Whole30!!!

Ok, I'll be honest here. I ate a low carb diet for several months a few years ago and my running sucked the entire time. It just never felt as good to run on fat as it did to run on glucose.

With the Whole30 I run better because I am not as fat adapted. I am a big advocate for adding in sweet potato or starch veg until you feel a bit ligher on your feet. You will still eat waaaay fewer carbs than someone on the SAD diet.

There is a difference between a low carb diet and Whole30 though. Ideally when you are fat adapted you should only need to tap into those glucose stores when you get into the Lactate and Anaerobic zones. What I've found in my own running is that I can sustain a much longer/faster low heart rate run than I used to be able to. I train mostly in the recovery and aerobic zone as my body can actual use fat as fuel in those zones. Definitely we want you eating starchy vegetables, especially right after your run, just not right before your run. :)

I agree Beth. Have the starchy veg after the run, not right before.

I also agree that there is a big (HUGE) difference between low carb and Whole30. Low carb worked well for my tummy (I have ulcerative colitis) but I had constant leg cramps, smelled like ketones, lead legs when running and overall didn't feel so good. Also the food I ate was not as varied or "fresh from the farm" as it is now. Whole30 works much better for me on so many levels! :wub:

I am on day 7 and am so tired during my runs. I was running 4x a week 3, 5, 3, 6 or 8 miles. Now my 3 mile runs (which were my easy/quick/26-27m) are now my hard/slow/29-30m runs.....it's really frustrating. I haven't even ran more than 3 miles since I started. I was hoping to run/train for a 1/2 marathon at the end of June and I need to figure out the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I should just give it more time?

I"m on day 3 and I'm a runner and  I thought I was going to die last night on my four mile run.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there that is having the same problem.  

Does anyone have a list of foods that they ate during their training for a 1/2 marathon.  Pre & Post runs.  I'm on day 3 and I'm struggling here> :o

Follow the template suggestions for pre and post workout fuel. Expect your runs to be hard the first 2 weeks. This is normal. Take it easy you will make the gains later. 

I'm on day 18 and most of my runs have been sluggish.  I think that's partly due to the increasing temps where I live, though! With the heat index, we've had temps this week in the 90s.  Between transitioning to hot weather running and transitioning to fat adapting, that's a lot for our bodies to deal with! I'm maintaining my usual mileage and giving myself plenty of grace to slow down. It's just going to take as long as it takes to make those transitions.  

• 2 weeks later...

Day 22 and I finally had a good run!! I had given up hope on being able to have a decent run during my w30.  I especially thought today's was going to be horrible. I was already feeling hungry and forgot to bring a pre-workout snack with me to work. I was really hoping my coworker would decide not to run today so I could be pathetic without an audience. I am glad we went anyway. This is the first time I have been able to finish the entire 30 minute run with him (he started joining my lunch runs on day 1 of my w30). I held back a bit in the beginning today, trying not to be dragged along but in the end I might have been pushing the pace. Either way I ran the whole 30 minutes and we even negative split the run! 30 minutes used to be a piece of cake for me but I have only barely been jogging that for while now and have needed walk breaks during most of my w30 runs. It helped a little that it was overcast and only 85 but it was still very humid. 

I am chalking it up to Tiger Blood! This makes the idea of another 8 days of w30 eating so much easier to take. 

Interesting reading.....I have not yet started the Whole30, but am doing as much reading and preparing for my start next month (after a family vacation).  I am a runner and hadn't realized how much it will likely impact my running.....not exactly looking forward to this part of it.  I'm curious what you all are taking with you for fuel during long runs...?  Up until this point (pre-W30), I have used Gu and Sport Beans.  What do you use now?

Interesting reading.....I have not yet started the Whole30, but am doing as much reading and preparing for my start next month (after a family vacation).  I am a runner and hadn't realized how much it will likely impact my running.....not exactly looking forward to this part of it.  I'm curious what you all are taking with you for fuel during long runs...?  Up until this point (pre-W30), I have used Gu and Sport Beans.  What do you use now?

Hey there!  I bring a little baggie of chicken breast, sweet potato or cubed turnip, and some dried fruit and nuts with me on runs.  The sugar and fat are not ideal, but I have found that it's what helps me the most during emergency blood sugar spikes, especially early on.  Larabars can be helpful too, although I don't rely on them either, they are emergency fuel.

Later in the program, I really find that if I have a pre and post meal, I am ok without additional fuel.  My body just feels more efficient and I don't need it.  But I have ready that cricket protein bars are awesome, if that sort of thing doesn't freak you out. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I am struggling too. I'm on my 7th day of the programme and during this week I could not do my training runs. the two times (rather than 4) I managed to get out I felt nauseous and light headed and I had to cut it short. I normally run as soon as I wake up and I don't eat. svery helpful thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

I run 2-3 days a week right now...anywhere between 3-5 miles each time. I just started my Whole30 yesterday, and plan to run tomorrow morning. I am a little nervous about how I will do. I hope my breakfast after will fill me up enough. The days I run, I am more hungry as I am continuously burning calories all day. Any suggestions for how to stay filled up after running?!?!

I run 2-3 days a week right now...anywhere between 3-5 miles each time. I just started my Whole30 yesterday, and plan to run tomorrow morning. I am a little nervous about how I will do. I hope my breakfast after will fill me up enough. The days I run, I am more hungry as I am continuously burning calories all day. Any suggestions for how to stay filled up after running?!?!

Eat a small amount of protein and fat before you run (like a hard boiled egg). After you run have some lean protein and starchy vegetable (like chicken and sweet potato), take your shower, and then have your 3 template sized meals through the rest of the day about 4-6 hours apart. If you can't make it 4 hours between meals without being truly hungry than have some protein and fat and veg as a mini meal and try increasing your portions at your main meals. Keep tweeking things until you find your sweet spot. All these things should help you stay satisfied throughout the day. On the days you don't run just drop the pre and post workout meal and start with your first meal within an hour of waking. 

• 1 year later...

I'm on day 13 and I am still finding that I am running slow :( for the first week my usually easy after-work 7 mile route felt like twice that distance and I was at least a minute a mile slower than I usually expect to be. My endurance is back to more normal levels now but I am still slow, ten miles this morning took around seven minutes longer than it should, also I had to walk on the steepest section (only for around 50 metres but it's the principle.....). Is this normal and to be worked through or am I somehow not eating enough? I do not feel hungry between meals and I am following recommendations re. adding fat to meals.

I'm on day 13 and I am still finding that I am running slow :( for the first week my usually easy after-work 7 mile route felt like twice that distance and I was at least a minute a mile slower than I usually expect to be. My endurance is back to more normal levels now but I am still slow, ten miles this morning took around seven minutes longer than it should, also I had to walk on the steepest section (only for around 50 metres but it's the principle.....). Is this normal and to be worked through or am I somehow not eating enough? I do not feel hungry between meals and I am following recommendations re. adding fat to meals.

This is still within the normal range of feeling off in workouts. If you want feedback on your food though post a few days of your food including portion sizes, liquids, sleep/stress, and activity and we can see if anything needs tweeking.

Archived