Don't Want To Eat

I have been trying to get past this for the past 3-4 days, but it has become so bad that, after a couple of bites, food tastes like sawdust in my mouth. I just don't want to eat. I am struggling to keep my caloric intake up high enough that I don't trigger my body's famine response (it is very sensitive, due to a preexisting neuro-immune disease). Food that I have always enjoyed, food that smells, looks, and tastes great, now completely turns me off. I have no desire to eat, and I'm worried.

Anyone ever experience this? Suggestions?

During my first whole30, I experienced something similar. The difference was I did have a desire to eat, but after a few bites I felt very full. I got over it about 10 days in.

I would say do the best you can, and make sure you are staying hydrated.

Today, I managed to eat breakfast and dinner, but totally missed lunch. And I didn't even notice, until I began to feel hungry at 4:30, and tried to recall what I ate for lunch, only to realise that I didn't! I really hope I get over this soon!

I have just had a eureka moment!

We were away for the weekend at a sporting event, and I knew that eating was going to be challenging, so I let my self off the hook regarding planning and recording calories.

To be clear, I'm not doing this to limit my caloric intake. Just the opposite, actually. I've been counting calories on the advice of my GP to ensure that I eat at least 1200 per day. I have a problem with dropping below this for a few days and triggering my body's famine response.

So, I tackled each meal individually and forgot entirely about counting calories. I've just realized that I didn't miss a single meal and had no trouble eating! All weekend! My food aversion seems to have gone away!

(extremely happy girl here!)

My conclusion: the more effort and attention I have to pay to food, the more I resent it, and therefore don't want it. I want to focus on my partner, our family, our friends, and the activities that I'm able to participate in. Managing my illness takes up enough of my energy. Giving a bunch more of it up to food was more than I was subconsciously willing to do.

I may be completely off base here, but food and I aren't enemies anymore, and I'm delighted!

Archived