How do I make avocados not so gross?

So I like guacamole. And I like avocado in a salad or on a sandwich. But I tried eating 1/2 of one for breakfast this morning and I couldn't get past the texture. Or taste. Or lack thereof. I'm not really sure what it was but I need something else.

Avocados seem to be quick. And in the morning I need something quick.

What can I do with my plain old avocado to make it tastier and more palatable?

• Moderators

I can't imagine eating an avocado like an apple. Yuck. Most of the time, I mash ripe avocado with a splash of lime juice (I keep a bottle in the refrigerator) and eat that on top of eggs or mix it with pulled chicken, diced tomatoes, and chopped onions.

I like to make an avocado salsa: Chop up avocado, white onion, cilantro and cherry tomatoes (or regular tomatoes). Add a little olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon or lime, salt and pepper. Sorry I don't have amounts - I just sort of wing it, based on how much I want to make. Great with eggs, chicken, shrimp, etc. Even better the next day.

I love it chopped into bits in a salad with my simple vinaigrette. If it's perfectly ripe, it is quite yummy with just a good balsamic. Or, of course, guac flavors. On top of chili: mmm. Or in a lettuce taco with pork or whatever taco meat.

Plain? No.

A light dusting of sea salt goes a long way towards bringing out the nice flavor. It doesn't do much for the texture though.

I've taken to chopping avocado and throwing it on whatever other veggie I'm eating. Right now it's topping my sauteed spinach and it's delicious!!

I echo everyone else-I can't imagine eating it like an apple! I chop one up and put it on my eggs in the morning or in my salad at lunch. Seems to be the easiest way to eat it for me! I adore guacamole, but have to stay away from it because it can lead to bad choices....like tortilla chips...copious amounts of them, with lots of salt....followed by margaritas, also with salt! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I don't know what I was thinking! I guess when people said they had 1/2 an avocado at a meal that's just what I pictured. And yes, it was very gross.

Thanks everyone. I don't know what I was thinking! I guess when people said they had 1/2 an avocado at a meal that's just what I pictured. And yes, it was very gross.

I grew up with 40 avo trees in my backyard. I love them straight out of the shell. Love!! :0)

I love to eat it out of the shell! But it needs to be perfectly ripe and have some salt, pepper and probably a little lemon juice on it. I score the flesh so that the lemon juice gets to more of the avocado. I've also sprinkled a bit of paprika and/or cumin on top.

I love to eat it out of the shell! But it needs to be perfectly ripe and have some salt, pepper and probably a little lemon juice on it. I score the flesh so that the lemon juice gets to more of the avocado. I've also sprinkled a bit of paprika and/or cumin on top.

I do mine plain, but I might have to try this...

Nope. On the salad is just as gross. It feels like my salad is mushy in my mouth. Like it's rotten lettuce or something. I really think it's the texture that grosses me out.

Nope. On the salad is just as gross. It feels like my salad is mushy in my mouth. Like it's rotten lettuce or something. I really think it's the texture that grosses me out.

I don't mean to giggle about your avocado trauma, but I can't help it. ;0) You may just decide to skip them. More for me. :)

I can definitely eat avos straight up - yum yum .. but sometimes if I need a quick snack I mash half an avocado in the shell with cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt and dash some hot sauce on top, maybe even a squeeze of lime.

If you are looking for fat sources, there's quite a long list.

Olive oil

Coconut oil (unrefined has the coconut flavor, refined has no flavor)

Ghee (from grassfed butter)

Clarified butter (grassfed)

Grassfed tallow or other animal fat

Coconut butter

Homemade mayonnaise

That's off the top of my head. I know there are more. So no need to deal with avocados if you're not a fan. There are other options. (You still win for best thread title ever. :lol: )

I have issues with the texture as well (the person who suggested dipping them in egg yolks made me literally shudder... I don't like runny yolk, either!) so I've found that I do best with them mixed into things. I do like them diced on top of chili or sliced and put in lettuce wraps with other veggies and some type of meat. Any thing that would benefit from that creamy texture. I think it would probably be good on crackers as well...if crackers were acceptable, of course.

I consider putting it on top of salads as more of an advanced use - I can do it now, but it's taken me two years of learning to accept the texture before I could stand it that way.

Eating out of the shell with a spoon sounds dreadful. I don't even like to lick the spoon that I used to scoop it out!

If you are looking for fat sources, there's quite a long list.

Olive oil

Coconut oil (unrefined has the coconut flavor, refined has no flavor)

Ghee (from grassfed butter)

Clarified butter (grassfed)

Grassfed tallow or other animal fat

Coconut butter

Homemade mayonnaise

That's off the top of my head. I know there are more. So no need to deal with avocados if you're not a fan. There are other options. (You still win for best thread title ever. :lol: )

I started implementing coconut oil today. Had a spoonful in my coffee this morning. I have also been eating eggs almost everyday.

I have issues with the texture as well (the person who suggested dipping them in egg yolks made me literally shudder... I don't like runny yolk, either!) so I've found that I do best with them mixed into things. I do like them diced on top of chili or sliced and put in lettuce wraps with other veggies and some type of meat. Any thing that would benefit from that creamy texture. I think it would probably be good on crackers as well...if crackers were acceptable, of course.

On top of chili sounds good! I agree, though, it has to have a creamy texture to be acceptable. Salad just tastes gross. I could always eat it on a sandwich, no problem.

There are a lot of folks around here who absolutely swear by coconut butter. I'm a little a'skeered to try it because I have a feeling it might become an addictive substance for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, if I don't eat at least one whole avocado if not two per day I consider the day poorly spent. So, technically, I'm meeting my fat requirements quite well. :lol: )

Archived