1 week in and experiencing joint pain

I'm 1 week into my first W30 and I feel better than I have my entire life except for one strange thing: my hips started hurting today. They feel like the day after a serious workout...but it's JUST my hip joints and glutes. I have no previous hip and/or joint issues to speak of. Because of a coconut allergy and the fact that my body responds amazingly well to all things almond, I have been using a lot of almond butter. Almond butter was on the occasional list; could this be related to almonds? One of the main reasons I'm on this diet is because I HAVE to ditch gluten; could this be related to clearing out the problems caused by the gluten? Honestly, my gut feeling is that it has something to do with detoxing in some way, but I don't really know. Does anyone have information that can shed some light on what's going on here?

• Moderators

One day of joint pain may be one of those mysteries of the universe that is never solved. I have aches and pains occasionally - some that make me limp - that just pass and I never know what was causing it. If you are eating something that is causing the problem, then I would expect the pain to persist. Hopefully you will just feel better tomorrow.

I've never heard of pain or inflammation related to almonds, but using a lot of almond butter is a problem. Nuts and nut butters can add a surprisingly high number of calories to your daily intake - like 1000. The Whole30 is not a calorie-counting program, but you can eat too much of some things. The solution is not to count calories, but to avoid snacking on nuts or nut butters and to include them in recipes only occasionally.

I hear people talk about detoxing as if a wild animal is thrashing around in their bodies as the last vestiges of something they ate exits, but I am not convinced that "model" is how things work. If you are sensitive to gluten, you might experience aches and pains related to it being in your body, but I don't think feeling pain a week after the last time you ate gluten is very likely.

Maybe the thing to do is just take it easy today and see how you feel tomorrow.

• 11 months later...

Sadly, this is a very old topic with no update from the original poster :(  I could have written the first sentence.  I've never had hip pain in my life.  I've had no flu like symptoms since starting Whole30.  I've felt great from day 1, EXCEPT, on day 5 I had horrible hip pain that lasted about 24 hours, eventually driving me to take pain meds so I could get some sleep.  This morning, day 9, I had the same pain for a couple hours, but seems to have gone.  

Update: the pain came and went all day.  It woke me around 4 am and I had to get up and take some meds.  Can't fathom what could be causing the pain.  I haven't added anything to my diet, only subtracted things.  I will chalk it up to "detoxing" unless it sticks around much longer.

Archived