I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday (5/13)

Hi! I'm Deborah and I'm excited to see what a Whole30 will do for me :)

I'm really glad this forum is here for support. My biggest fear is that I will get too lazy to get to the store or to cook and I'll fall back on easy food which tends to be starches and grains. And I'm afraid, of course, of my sweet tooth.

Ooh, sweet tooth. Feel ya there. We did like a Whole 26 last month (gave up early after a particularly bad day), but I'm back on the Paleo/Primal wagon. When you eat your fill in good, nutritious foods and avoid the sugar, the cravings will subside. Planning is key.

Hi Deborah,

I'm starting on Monday may 13th as well. I'm hoping I can do it! I am lucky enough to live in the bay area so we have lots of choices for buying great organic meat from local ranchers and farmers markets. Today I bought some Whole 30 compliant bacon from Prather Ranch Meats...so good.

Good luck to you! Let me know how it's going.

Oh man, I'd love to find compliant bacon at my food co-op, but at least they have grass-fed everything else. I'm starting today for my first Whole30 after a week of "95-percenting" it to see how onerous it really was (and to clear out lingering yogurts and such from my fridge). I relished donating my canned beans to the food bank and throwing away those odd ends of cheese. I even tried bulletproof coffee, not that I plan to make a regular habit of that -- yummy though it is. My "95-percent" week has been pretty remarkable in itself: I'm sleeping much deeper (though still tossing a bit at first), my skin has cleared up, and totally unexpectedly I've lost about 4 pounds of that stubborn "last 10 pounds" I've been hanging onto the past couple of years after a bigger weight loss. I'm not overly attached to the scale (see ya in a month) but I can't help but feel good when the numbers go down. My Whole30 approved meals have been delicious and my husband has been eating along with me so surely he'll benefit even if he's not committed to the program. So I'm already pretty thrilled with the results and haven't started yet. Happy Day One!

So much luck to you! I'm starting today as well. The only things I'm really sad about giving up are the cream in my coffee and almond milk in my green smoothies. Guess I'll have to make sure I get the really good stuff from Stumptown Coffee Roasters. I'm worth the extra bucks.

Be well, all!

It's the sugar I am missing in my coffee, but I started today, too and had been splurging on just a little sugar while doing Paleo. I did make some coconut milk coffee creamer yesterday, but it does have a small amount of dates processed with hot water into a paste. Now I am wondering whether that's okay or not. I have a feeling I will be drinking less coffee anyway.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone - I'm starting tomorrow, 5/14.

I, like gingerrox have been doing W30 for about a week, being about 90% compliant to ease myself into it. I planned to start today but we finally had decent weather yesterday and had a lot of yard work to get done and not enough time to prepare more meals.

I'm doing recipes in bulk and freezing the majority so I'l have lots of options/variety and always have food on hand.

I lost 4lbs last week (without being totally compliant, mind you!) and would like to lose about 9lbs more total, but could care less about the number on the scale if I feel good and look slim. I started eating 90% Paleo a few weeks ago and already have a TON more energy.

I plan to do P90X in addition to W30 eating. Anyone else have any workouts planned?

Good luck to everyone! I will need support to overcome my sweet tooth as well!!!

-Brandy

Hello everyone! I'm Deb and I'm starting my Whole30 today too. I typically try to eat healthy but my biggest downfall is that we travel ALOT!. I love to cook and don't mind spending time in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to seeing how you are all doing!

Wow! So many of us starting together, that's great! I am actually starting one day late (Mother's Day dinner got moved to Monday) so TODAY the 14th is my day number one. I'm actually really excited about it for the most part, I spent a fortune at the store(s) and I'm headed into the kitchen now to get a bunch of make ahead meals started.

In a week and a half I have to go out of town and stay in a hotel for 5 days, that is what I'm most concerned about!

Glad to meet you all! If any of you are on Instagram (and like food photos) I am posting photos of every meal and snack I have on there - feel free to follow if you are so inclined: @gingerrox. I planned on it just to have a document of my W30, but it has the added benefit of bringing focus to the *intention* of eating, and not mindlessly snacking. Plus I have extra motivation to make my meals pretty.

All good so far. I don't really miss anything or feel deprived, but my body is definitely going through some transitions - I felt really fatigued days 2 and 3, headachey today. And the food-guilt dreams started immediately! Every night I eat something forbidden (something I don't even want) and then feel SO terrible because I have to start the W30 all over, lol.

Hello!

I started on Monday and so far so good. I'm so glad we have a lot going on over the weekend so I won't have to time to graze or eat any junk. I feel great. My mood has totally improved, sleep is great and I'm more energized in the morning. Great forum with so much support!

Today is my day 4. I'm feeling good, but like gingerrox I was pretty lethargic and groggy yesterday, I'm really hoping to pull out of that soon. I have so much trouble eating the size of meals that are on the program! By the time I eat my palm sized protein and my thumb sized fat I'm too full for any veggies, so I force them down and feel yucky..... and that distresses me. After years of growing up to "you have to eat your plate of food" I finally got to the point where I felt ok leaving food on my plate, and now I feel like I'm back to forcing myself to eat more than I want.

Last night I dreamt that I ate some fudge. I also dreamt that robbers stole ALL of our appliances in the night and we didnt' hear anything. Fridge, stove, washer/dryer, TV all gone.

Hello everyone! I'm Deb and I'm starting my Whole30 today too. I typically try to eat healthy but my biggest downfall is that we travel ALOT!. I love to cook and don't mind spending time in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to seeing how you are all doing!

Hi Deb,

I travel a LOT too! Let me know if you think of any good tips for maintaining whole 30 while traveling. I leave in a week for 5 days in a hotel.... and I'm nervous!

I have food dreams EVERY NIGHT, it's getting kind of ridiculous. I don't crave things or feel deprived during the day so I guess I'm working out deprivation anxiety in my sleep or something. Last night I moved on from "accidentally" eating something off-program to a magical fairy-type person appearing and transforming a sheet of cookies into W30-compliance. But I still felt guilty because I knew I shouldn't be eating "desserts" anyway. Hahaha - I can't escape the guilt no matter what!

Hi everyone!

I'm Valerie and I started on May 13th too! I'm having a litte trouble trying to find something to eat for breakfast besides eggs but I'm making it through. I don't eat meat but I do eat fish (with fins) and even fish is getting a little much 2 - 3 times a day. Any suggestions?

We all have made it over a week! Yay!!

I for one am feeling really good. By that I mean I really haven't had any cravings at all! I've had moments where I thought, "it would be nice to have a dish of ice cream", but then remembered I'm not eating that now and just let the idea float away with no obsessing. However, I am still feeling kinda heavy and bloated, I'm hoping that goes away soon.

I am a little tired of eating eggs for breakfast, and I don't really like dinner for breakfast that much. I saw something on Pinterest where someone mashed a banana and added two eggs to it and scrambled it. That was interesting, nice to have a little sweetness, but I don't know that I'll do it again soon.

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow for 5 days in a hotel and I'm pretty nervous. I don't want to accidentally eat something I shouldn't.

How are the rest of you doing??

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been on the Whole30 for over a week now as well. Overall sleeping better, but still feeling shaky and lightheaded during my 5a workouts. Anyone else feeling this way?

And Deborah, for a great non-egg breakfast try browning either ground turkey or pork (or whole30 approved breakfast sausage) in a little coconut oil. In a separate pan spray a little coconut oil and add 1 whole diced apple mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg until apples are tender. Add the meat and mix together to blend the flavors. It is a yummy treat in the morning and the meat can be done ahead on Sunday and preportioned in your fridge for the week!

@LVW - great breakfast idea!

I've finished a week too. Feel great so far. Thinking some odd symptoms might pop up but they have not. Feeling healthy and full in a good way. No cravings for snacks - especially at night - yea! Love using coconut milk and flakes for fat - a few times a day with fruit with my meals.

I've finished my first week - yeah! My cravings for sweets after dinner are gone and I don't miss bread as much anymore. I'm flying out of town this Thursday and I'm kind of nervous about what to eat. I'm taking some boiled eggs, fruit, carrots sticks and nuts on the plane.

I'm very conscious about my portion control so that is a great plus for me. I'm going to start looking into ways of using cocnut milk ~ sounds good! Still a little tired of trying to find different meals for dinner; since I only eat fish and eggs dinner can be boring.

I am curious how all you travelers have been doing while on the road! It's all I can do to manage to bring lunch and pre-/post- workout meals with me to work. Godspeed!

Day 10 for me and to be honest I feel like crap. Sometimes I feel good, and I had a great workout this week, but more often I'm tired and headachey, and my stomach feels off. I usually go to sleep soundly and sleep more deeply, but if something wakes me up in the wee hours - especially if the sun is starting to come up - I have a terrible time getting back to sleep. I was going to try to do W30 sans non-prescription meds or supplements, but my husband practically forced pain-reliever on me last night after I complained my head had been splitting open all day, and I'm thinking of getting that magnesium CALM supplement the Hartwigs recommend for night time.

I know the food I eat isn't *causing* these bad feelings but I'm concerned that maybe something in the proportions is working against me somehow. I try to follow the meal map but I am pretty bad at judging the proper portion size (how big is a palm when it is not palm-shaped?) and I can't stand leaving food on the plate, so sometimes I feel I am eating more than is optimal. Other times I don't want to eat AT ALL but I do anyway because I haven't had a meal three yet.

All that said, I'm really enjoying the food and the cooking (not so much the dishes) so I'm not tempted to eat off-plan, I'm just getting anxious for the "feel better" part to get started already.

Archived