Still feel that the health benefits of juicing and smoothing should be ok....

Deborah Brommer

I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday, and I'm just not able to get paste the whole no-juice no-smoothie thing. To counter the "too sweet" responses: my juices and smoothies are 95% vegetable, they are not full of sweet fruits. I make my own so I am in complete control of the ingredients. I really feel strongly about being able to juice some vegetables in order to get the living enzymes and nutrients that disappear when cooked. And, I just can't consume that many raw beets, carrots, and kale! I really prefer those veggies cooked. I understand that the W30 plan wants you to fill up on veggies and meats, and I intend to do that as well, I'm not talking about replacing my meals with juices and smoothies.

I guess my question is, if my juices and smoothies are heavy on the veg and not used as meal replacement is there any "chemical" reason I should cut them out.... will they adversely affect the hormonal balance and detoxing I'm trying to achieve from the Whole30?

Food that's broken down into juice will digest and transit your system differently. I suspect that if you were really doing all-veg, non-sweet smoothies, it probably wouldn't be actively harmful to drink them...but that's not the program. The size and timing of meals (the meal template) is actually a significant component of the plan because it can impact your hormonal regulation. So, if you want to do the Whole30 and see the impact it has on you, really do the Whole30. It's only 30 days. We can give up anything we're attached to for 30 days. Even kale juice. :)

Deborah -

The caution against juices and smoothies is more of a "best practices" than a hard and fast rule. In our experience, folks who are willing to give up the juices and smoothies and shakes for a month are more likely to find success on the program. This is likely because their meals follow our suggested meal planning template and include the appropriate amount of veggies, protein and fat for each meal. Folks who advocate juices and smoothies are often tempted to replace the veggie serving of a meal or even an entire meal with a smoothie. If you are willing to keep your juice intake moderate, veggie focused, and include it with a meal that meets the template, you're probably fine to continue.

Deborah,

I thought the same thing when I started my first Whole30. I was so used to juicing and had really like the benefits and didn't see any reason to stop. Until I did. ;) And I really, really like where I am now!! I agree with befabdaily, just give it a shot. You can do anything for 30 days!

Thank you for the nice replies. I have spent so much time defending my juicing and so much time making juicing into almost a habit that I'm afraid to give it up! I feel like I'll be falling off of a GOOD habit that I've worked hard to add to my diet. But you're right, it is only 30 days and I'm excited about getting my system in order, getting my hormones working right, detoxing my system, and getting my thyroid under control. (My juicing did amazing things for my cholesterol numbers and is what led me to looking into the Whole 30 plan.)

Thanks for the support!

Deborah, I know where you're coming from because I used to be a raw foodist so the two most used kitchen gadgets were my champion juicer and my vitamix :) I've done the Jason Vale 7 day juice fast and the Wigmore 21 day juice detox and to be honest, I'd rather have W30 any day. I feel more nourished on it than any other program.

I gave juices up entirely for my W30 and at first it felt strange and I panicked a bit that I wasn't getting enough raw nutrients but I felt better than I had and my health improved. I'm not totally anti juice outwith a W30 but I do believe the best results come from following the meal template if you can. As others have said, it's only 30 days and then you can play about reintroducing what you want and get a true picture of how you feel with it. good luck

Thank you for the nice replies. I have spent so much time defending my juicing and so much time making juicing into almost a habit that I'm afraid to give it up!

There's the key right there.. the word "habit" would make me want to try giving it up for 30 days for sure. How are you doing?

I'm doing well thank you. Today is day 5, and I have had one green smoothie as part of lunch one day. And that was because my son, who eats mostly raw right now, was over and asked for one. But, my eating issues are not about "getting off of juices". :). And I may have one or two a week as part of my other meals, because it is such a great way to get raw veggies in my diet, but I do understand the need to follow the meal plan.

Archived