You down with AIP, yeah you know me!

Several of us have decided to do a post w30 miniature version of the AIP to get an idea if the restricted items are causing problems and to just sort of...clean house. Start date is Wednesday May 15.

Everyone who has already discussed doing this, or anyone who wants to please just start commenting and let's get this ball rolling. :D

Edited to Add- Some in the group, and some newcomers have decided to extend their AIP, or start a new AIP and we all loved this thread so much we decided to keep it going past our original 10 day period. All are welcome to join and discuss!

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Is everyone doing the same version of the protocol?

My plan is:

no eggs

no nightshades

no nuts and seeds (including my beloved cumin)

Anything I missed that others are eliminating?

NO GHEE?!?!?

I've been phasing out nightshades, eggs. The ghee will be hard for me. My go-to emergency meal is meat + sweet pot + ghee. I've been ignoring the fact that I will soon have to cut it out.

Hi

I'm thinking if joining you. I'm on day 46 of a Whole 66 (or so) and I'd like to see if the AIP had an impact.

I have to think about what I'm going to eat and if I can continue it through company and my daughter's graduation.

Here is the list of what seasonings are seeds/nightshades and which are flowers/leaves/barks/roots

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/spices-on-autoimmune-protocol.html

Also, it doesn't say it on this list, but paleomom has listed cacao and coffee on the seeds to avoid list for autoimmune, though ISWF makes no mention of avoiding coffee until the IBS protocol. I will be avoiding both regardless, but was wondering what other people think of those substances.

Also, if anyone is interested in following the IBS protocol alongside the AIP, I'm game to do that again too.

Hi

I'm thinking if joining you. I'm on day 46 of a Whole 66 (or so) and I'd like to see if the AIP had an impact.

I have to think about what I'm going to eat and if I can continue it through company and my daughter's graduation.

You can hop on/hop off at will. I think even a few days wo eggs/nightshades/nuts will give you an idea if you need to follow. I don't think any of us will come after you if you don't do the whole 10 days ^_^

Moluv - Thanks. It's about reintroduction for me. I'm going 66 days cause 60 puts me smack in the middle of company and graduation weekend. If I do the mini AIP then it ends right before company arrives. Ack. Trying a shorter version might work better. I'll figure it out.

I'm going to need a lot of handholding for re-intro. I'm doing fine with soaked nuts (I think) but want to test them in isolation. Then I want to test seed-based spices for several days in a row, as I fear it may be a cumulative reaction. Though, really, I don't need to eat spices several days in a row as I have already been avoiding them and not caring. I actually have grown to love herbs more anyways. Then testing the bell pepper and tomatoes. Seperatiely? together?

I'm afraid of eggs still, not ready to go there.

When I have attempted re-intro before I just lump everything together and then have no idea what's what. I don't want to do that this time, especially with the nightshades and soaked nuts, which are the things I care about the most.

• Moderators

Thanks for that link, Mo. Cumin is the only one I'm concerned about. I've phased out everything else. Same deal with ghee. But yes, for 10 days only I can switch to cocknut ( ;) ) oil, no need to color it with saffron. My concern, though, is that excess coconut in all its forms may, in part, be to blame for my constipation lately. I hate these sneaking suspicions. But should I cut coconut in all its forms for the 10 days, too, and do a proper introduction afterward?

Also, my aversion to cutting ghee comes not just from my love for its delicious goodness, but also from my ayurveda training and pancha karma experience in which ghee is the nectar of the gods, the thing that heals like no other, the thing that's truly tridoshic and not dairy because the milk solids are gone. But whatevs. I want to play with the cool kids, so I'll give it up for 10 days!

Still deciding if I'll keep going with the BP coffee or not, though without the ghee it doesn't hold the same appeal. . . .

• Moderators

Love that paleomom website. Thanks for directing me to it, Mo. I found this article, about having patience with AIP, super helpful, and though y'all might find it useful, too:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/how-long-is-this-going-to-take-finding.html

It put my own experience with W30 in perspective and helps set me up for the fact that 10 days is a start, not a magic bullet.

Oh... what about coffee? I cannot (will not) give that up yet.

ISWF makes no mention of coffee so it's a go. And we can all decide for ourselves what we are or are not eliminating. No need to eliminate ghee if you don't want to test it, IMO.

I'm dropping the coffee for the 10 days. Actually started today - which is unfortunate as I'm sooooo tired... which is probably a pretty good reason to not have it for 2 weeks! And a cup of tea on the drive to work is nowhere near as satisfying as a coffee with coconut milk :(. But I'm not going to give up my ho' cho' (hot chocolate made with raw cacao, stevia and coconut cream) - I don't have one every day, but sometimes it's nice to have a warm, semi-sweet drink at night).

And I'm using up the last capsicum in the fridge today/tomorrow - that'll be hard to go without, I love my capsicums. I hadn't thought about not having chilli or curry though, that'll be a toughie! Prawn curry for dinner tonight, I think!

Am I the only person who doesn't like ghee? Give me coconut oil any day! If I could find some way to offload the bucket of ghee I bought, I'd be quite happy!

I am sure you can find a paleo folks whe you live and actually sell it.

I hear you with coffee, but it gets better. I love everything about coffee and I haven't had it in about 5 days. I miss it, yes. I just think I am sick enough to put health first. That's just my situation. Taking coffee is an extra tweak that is not obligatory. I feel that if you want to give it up leaving cocoa doesn't make much sense. I am not sure of your reasons of doing AIP, so sorry if I come across harsh. Both coffee and cocoa are gluten cross reactive, that's why they are out for those who want to take it further.

Personally I just want to get a very clear picture of the way certain foods affect me. My idea is that 10 days without any potential gut irritants is doable and will give me opportunity for a proper and more precise food test.

Anywho, welcome and let's rock these 10 days.

Btw,I've posted these links like everywhere, but for recipes go to autoimmune-paleo.com, thepaleomom.com, acleanplate.com one more resource is Mammoth Kitchen, author did AIP too.

I do love ghee. If we are talking about roasting veg, beef or lamb tallow tastes better. But on a sweet pot? No contest for me.

Lady M, I had this whole thing written about ghee and Ayerveda but my phone lost it. I am giving going without a try for 10 days, but I am with you.

I was looking up ghee and auto-immune and came across this:

http://chriskresser....gent-of-disease

I hadn't eaten raw bell peppers in awhile and tonight ate a few slices with mayo I whipped up hoping my kids would eat more veg. Was it the egg or the pepper I'm not sure, but I immediate felt my worst psoriasis patch on my shin itching. Psychosomatic? Maybe. But I swear I felt the same last time I ate tomatoes.

I need to figure out my parameters. After this weekend of eating dairy and sugar and alcohol it could be anything. I think I need to do a W30 again just to do proper eliminations.

Archived