• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

Day 1 was ok. Missing eggs and tomatoes. But I'll survive. This is what I ate:

This is what I ate:

1: ground meat, sweet potato, kale, coconut oil, coffee, coconut milk

2: chicken, olives,carrots, cherries

3: chicken, lettuce, olives, avocado, sweet potato, cherries, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tea, coconut milk

Happy eating everyone!!

Uggggghh. Brutal, long day.

Lost keys outside with my kids and son's friend. Day turned from cool and cloudy to sunny and humid. Had a wool shirt on and no sunscreen. Sun-sensitive skin burning. Parched. Dogs pulling one way, kids running the other, daughter fussing. Husband pissed at me. Kept looking in tall grass, dragging kids back and forth.

Other mom let us in, dogs and all, and fed kids dinner while we waited for frustrated husband to come home from work. Came home too late to order from butcher and had to drive after kids went to bed around 8pm.

Crap, I was so hungry (late half-a$$ed breakfast, no lunch, no snacks except a few olives left in son's lunch) I absentmindedly put a cashew in my mouth while making dinner. Spit it out but damage done. They'd been drying in the oven. Two mins later I took my cinnamon tingle fCLO--with stevia! I'll extend my thing for an extra day.

Disaster. Had no joy. Sorry to say. Was last multi-lock (multiple-sided) key we had and costs like $60 to have new ones made.

Oh. Got my period. Mildly joyous. During W30 it took days and days for it to come. That means my PMS was relatively mild.

Dinner: roasted chicken with lemon, tarragon; half sweet pot with smoked salt, kale anchovy salad

Also, just to make ourselves more crazy, have you guys red about oxalates? Thoughts? I don't have IBS symptoms so I ignored the oxalate stuff I'd read. (Plus it takes out pretty much every veg I enjoy.) But it seems to have importance wrt leaky gut. Ack. It's hard to tell, when you get into these more obscure dietary topics what's real and what's borne of pure desperation.

Just curious. http://health.groups...g_Low_Oxalates/

I just saw a client of mine who is in a very similar digestive boat as us after she had to undergo some treatment to break up kidney (or gall) stones which her doctor told her very well could be due to oxalates from the green leafies. I get very tired when I eat greans, especially raw, but lately even cooked and I wonder. Though I have to be honest I haven't looked into oxalates more, I just don't eat much leafy greens. Occasional- not a staple of my diet. I don't care if they are supposed to be the holy grail of clean eating, if they make me feel like garbage after, I don't need it.

post-14185-13686234145632_thumb.jpg

AIP safe "curry"- butternut squash, coconut milk, fish sauce, coconut aminos, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, onion powder and Celtic sea salt topped with a sprinkle of dried green leaves.

You have a recipe for that squash curry? Looks like a tasty thing to have in the fridge. Love your graphics.

That WAS the recipe :blink:

Today I ate:

Meal 1: broth, butternut squash "curry", lemon pepper chicken

Meal 2: leftover parsley salad (not cooked this time), lemon pepper chicken, black olives

snack: ginger kombucha

Meal 3: ground lamb with garlic and onions and oregano, sweet potato fries

After dinner my husband made a cocktail for himself and made me a club soda with lemon wedge and smashed cherries. I sip it with an air of superiority that I don't need alcohol to relax. Not that I'm perfectly relaxed, no, but I'm ok with sitting here with my little bad moods and irrelevant stresses and just going on my merry little way towards better health. That is something I feel proud of.

Ha! Yeah. Duh. I just never ever cook with squash so I have no idea how to season it. I guess just go by taste.

I suppose I could be a bit more specific and tell you I opened a CAN of squash, dumped it in a pan, opened a can of coconut and added about a third of that, then just dashes and sprinkles of all the other stuff. It really is pretty tasty.

Option A, family's choice (BF really likes making pizza, homemade crust and all):

post-13243-0-62901900-1368674384_thumb.j

Option B, my choice,

Sunny Paris in the 'crust,' (after making sure green peppercorns aren't a FODMAP), mashed turnips for the 'sauce':

post-13243-0-98082800-1368674346_thumb.j

Beets, sorry your day sucked :(. Better tomorrow!

• Moderators

Had another verboten food dream last night, but this time it was related to AIP. I was in San Francisco eating a prix fixe meal at a vegan farm to table restaurant with my best friend. What was on the menu? Japanese eggplant ragu among other delicious nightshade bombs. I ate it trepidaciously, figuring I didn't want to make a scene and it was better than gluten, dairy, sugar, soy. . . .

Oh Beets, that sounds horrible. I really hope today will be more peaceful :unsure:

Babywizard, as a big turnips lover (cow's chow as my Dad calls it, he is a sweetheart) I'll take your version! Offal bootcamp is happening in SC, I swear :) I don't mean to bring panic and paranoia, but peppercorns on the cautious list, just saying.

LadyM, so funny, is that the Australian hypnosis taking effect?

Calee, good for you! I love walking too.

My eating and well being report. My fridge is eeeeeempty as I've commited to clean it first. Big shopping trip on Friday.

Yesterday I had three handfuls of cherries (heavy on fruit lately, brrrr) and bottle of kombucha.

I had sardines episode before rehearsal because I felt I will get hungry and needed extra energy for dancing. Ate this can on the bench outside the cafe with the friend. People were giving me weird looks. Oh well, I feel the same when I see you are Subway sandwich, stranger, so whatever :) Rehearsal was good, but I was crashing several times.

null_zps87a5369e.jpg

Than we walked for couple hours with same friend. She is asking every week if I am still "not eating". Every week I say - yes. Well, she brought me two bars of chocolate and a chocolate peanut cup from her travel. Not so bright for someone who does cyber crime research for living :) Gave it to my co-workers and felt a bit guilty. Here, take some poison, friend. Bok choy, orange endive and tuna for dinner as planned. Two handfuls of coconut flakes. My KP flared up so bad. My skin is getting worse, especially scalp. Simply embarrassing. Had terrible stomach pains all night, woke up 5 times. Got out of bed at 5 am. Whaaaaat.

Today - mighty breakfast with extra time. Mashed cauliflower/celery root topped with bacon and mushrooms, cucumbers, re-worked garlic mayo recipe and it turned into creamy heaven and pan seared pork heart. Peppermint tea and a glass of kombucha. So good!

null_zpse12d2892.jpg

Spaghetti squash, l/o endive and pork roast for lunch. Ballet or gym and/or sidewalk salsa tonight. Maybe I should pick one activity and chill out. Hope my tummy won't let me down.

Happy Day 2.

Babywizard, as a big turnips lover (cow's chow as my Dad calls it, he is a sweetheart) I'll take your version! Offal bootcamp is happening in SC, I swear :) I don't mean to bring panic and paranoia, but peppercorns on the cautious list, just saying.

Haha, you looked up dukun bayi. And here I was trying to be obscure. It's actually what traditional birth attendants in Indonesia are called.

Anyhoo, offal bootcamp only if my chickens' livers are not involved.

Thanks for the warning about peppercorns.

Damn, I have to stay with one thread to ramble. I linked in my first log here. MAYO!

Mine has separated overnight (makes sense just as every can of cm milk), so I've added more oil and cream, drained liquid and whipped again. Mnom. Too garlicky for me, so I'll prob thin it out more.

Upd. No separation at all after draining liquid. Gooood.

I can't believe I am saying this but I want to do this with you all! :huh: Unfortunately, it will have to wait until June 10th as I will be traveling every weekend and others will be cooking for me. I plan on staying as Whole30 as possible but was going to allow for a few re-intros. I'm going to keep following this topic though so I can see how you all do and find any tips for when I do mine. ;)

Good luck all!

• Moderators

I've decided I need to step up my game in the herbs and spices department. Mo, you seem to be doing a good job at this so far. I'm finding myself overly reliant on salt and lime/lemon juice for pizazz. And it's not so pizazzy. I'm also tired of eating the same 3 proteins, but I get this way just about every Thursday. Gearing up to start thinking about what new recipes I'd like to try for next week--and cleaning out my fridge. Doing both simultaneously can feel limiting. Oh well. I need to eat my salad greens, a purple cauliflower, a squash and sweet potatoes, half a cabbage, lots of zucchini, frozen kale--and in the freezer I have all kinds of liver, a heart, some kidneys, shrimp, a steak. Now to make it all tasty, interesting, and AIP.

• Moderators

But of course, Nadia. You are the most creative cook around! What, pray tell, are you making your salsas from if not tomatoes or fruit? Please help me brainstorm good tapenades and dips.

LadyM, I'm with you. Got to get some good sauces and toppings going.

Do any of you have http://autoimmune-paleo.com/cookbook/ ? Like it?

What about a cookbook for AIP with low FODMAPs? Any suggestions? I don't have the energy or desire to experiment and modify any more than I have to, and I would love a cookbook that's done most of the work for me. In fact, if the book could actually cook the food, that would be just terrific. I think that's probably called 'a restaurant' or a replicator, or a personal chef. A girl can dream.

Another question, or maybe just something I've been mulling about...if autoimmune disease is associated with a host of vague symptoms, and these vague symptoms are also associated with other disorders, and if I have some of these other disorders, how do I tease out what's causing what? I have the autoimmune disease (Hashimotos hypothyroid) and I have a host of vague symptoms. How do I know they are connected? It sounds really kind of stupid asking the question but... ok for example, I know this: already, without nuts and seeds for a few days, my gut is soooo much happier. And so are the people around me :rolleyes:. Direct cause and effect, easy. But for things like freezing cold hands and feet, brain fog, sluggishness, low motility... I understand it might take months to notice a change in symptoms, and maintaining this manner of eating is challenging to say the least, so how do I know if I am down the right rabbit hole? It feels like a big can of worms.

I'm not looking for easy answers (well, maybe I am), just a conversation about it.

What are your experiences?

I have some mangoes I'd love to turn into a salsa. Mangoes, cilantro, garlic and ? Lime? If I added Thai basil it'd be Thai-ish.

Last night I seasoned my chicken w tarragon, lemon and smoked salt. Flavors went very well with the anchovy kale salad. Love tarragon. And smoked salt (legit smoked, not smoke flavored) makes everything good--almost didn't miss ghee on my sweet pot today.

M1: lamb burger, sautéed nappa cabbage

M2: l/o roasted chicken, kale salad, olives (SAHD I'm friends with was, at the playground, marveling at my salad, "Did you make that yourself? It looks amazing." Adorbs.)

M3: chicken just doesn't cut it for bf or lunch. Was hungry. Ate a couple prunes, more olives.

M4: decided to actually eat dinner when I should! With my kids, instead of waiting to eat w my husband. I was starving and ate sautéed ground lamb over a sweet pot, w smoked salt and all the pan drippings.

Husband came home with a decent Sancerre, my fave white wine. He somehow missed that I'm not drinking and was all happy and proud of himself, getting the wine for me. :( I almost had some. Had a few frozen raspberries in mineral water instead.

Eating early was a revelation. Seems obvious, but i never managed to change my eating sched on my W30. It worked today. I was able to take a lovely dog walk in the gorgeously warm, dry air. post-19355-13687569887204_thumb.jpg

Also finally managed to listen to a guided mediation. I found one called Forgiveness for Depression. Really stuck with me for the rest of the day, and during my walk I was better able to enjoy the moment, the flowers, the pink sky instead of wallowing in self-recriminations. Found some Joy.

Beets, salsa would be mango, avocado, cilantro, lime and onions. Strawberry kiwi cucumber salsa is awesome, but again strawberries (and kiwis) and their potential to be on a no list...pineapple salsa might work (basil, lime, onion and pineapple).

I have a list to try myself. What I've tried alreadyvor could be modified so far:

- tapenad. Classic olives, capers, anchovy olive oil.

- artichoke hearts pureed into sauce + lemon parsley. Optional spinach.

- aip pesto with just basil olive oil and garlic (fire roasted one would be best) mint pesto is awesome too!

- bagna cauda. Classic without the butter. Sigh.

- horseradish root and vinegar. Option chopped beets.

- thyme and cinammon are perfect for roasting carrots or in general

- worcestershire kinda thing - apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, onion powder, garlic powder, cinamon and ground ginger.

- pickles chopped with carrots into a relish

- apricot basil relish (pork siiiings with it)

- caper relish with onions basil parsley oil lemon and garlic

- everything with chestnuts! Puree with avocado, lemon, olive oil. Mmmm

- toasted coconut flakes

- shiitake mushrooms pate

- saffron. One of my loved ones.

From the top of my head. Sleepy, so lots of typos I guess. Goodnight :)

Another question, or maybe just something I've been mulling about...if autoimmune disease is associated with a host of vague symptoms, and these vague symptoms are also associated with other disorders, and if I have some of these other disorders, how do I tease out what's causing what? I have the autoimmune disease (Hashimotos hypothyroid) and I have a host of vague symptoms. How do I know they are connected? It sounds really kind of stupid asking the question but... ok for example, I know this: already, without nuts and seeds for a few days, my gut is soooo much happier. And so are the people around me :rolleyes:. Direct cause and effect, easy. But for things like freezing cold hands and feet, brain fog, sluggishness, low motility... I understand it might take months to notice a change in symptoms, and maintaining this manner of eating is challenging to say the least, so how do I know if I am down the right rabbit hole? It feels like a big can of worms.

I'm not looking for easy answers (well, maybe I am), just a conversation about it.

What are your experiences?

I don't have an autoimmune condition, but I do have many symptoms which are inflammatory in nature and/or associated with leaky gut. As I understand it, when these undigested particles cross the gut lining, your immune system mounts an attack. After enough of these attacks, due to biomimicry, eventually your immune system begins attacking your own cell tissues which resemble those particles crossing the gut lining, and that is what autoimmunity is. Which disease and symptoms one gets is just a matter of many variables coming into play and deciding which body system is weakest. For some it's the nervous system, some the endocrine system, some circulatory or skeletal and so on. Because so many things can inflame the gut lining and/or cross the lining, I think the list of symptoms is quite long and comlex. Some of the symptoms are probably downstream effects of other symptoms. What I do know is that the autoimmune protocols (which are largely the same) have identified what are the most obvious offenders and eliminated them and many with autoimmune (or simply inflammatory) conditions have seen full remission of their diseases. Now, I know that modern society makes it difficult to follow such a restricted diet, but I believe that it is not the restricted diet that is wrong, it is society's widespread accepted and love of foods that are known to cause bad effects for anyone who eats them. I think native people would never have continued to eat a seed or nut that cause gastrointestinal (or any other) distress if they could not find a way of preparing it that would make it palatable and easily digestible. It goes against common sense. We didn't make it this far as a species by slowly poisoning ourselves.

When I did a short IBS/AIP protocol before, I was coming off of spending a little too much time under the tyranny of W30 rules- this AIP protocol is post w30, it's by our own choices, it is exploratory in nature, it is a healing time. There is an abundance of wonderful food, which I have found being more restricted makes cooking even easier, and more creative and exciting. While dining out and socializing is hindered, eating is but one way of connecting with others or getting out of the house. Maybe this time can open our minds to new ways of relaxing and finding joy with others, without food that harms. I find a lot of freedom in restriction. I gain a sense of calm and clarity that allows me to better estimate how I will feel throughout the day, it's more predictable and I love that. I love the food too.

Archived