• Moderators

I want to devote the next couple weeks to:

ditching sugar for real,

getting solid sleep and

moving my body.

If I can do that, it doesn't matter what number is after the "w." I am stuck in a cycle of feeling confused about what I need or don't need to do. I think it's great, inspiring that so many people do these long or frequent whole---s, but for me it's triggering ESCAPE feelings in my brain and I need to stop stressing about it.

(Or is that just an excuse?) (See? I can't even trust my own instincts now.

These are fantastic goals, Beets. I want my head in that game.

Funny thing is I haven't had any impulses to escape from the program, just from its failure to produce the results I want in the timeframe I had in mind.

I should probably see this as a gift.

I'm totally with you on the moving goal. Seriously. Any day I don't move deliberately is a bad day until I do move deliberately. Hmm. Just gave myself a clue. Movement first thing is best for this body.

I've been doing well on the sleep front, but as I learned yesterday, fruit is not my friend right now. I know this and yet it tempts me time and again, like I'm friggin' Eve or something. Sheesh. Dried fruit is candy full stop, so I drew the line in the sand on that one and am convinced.

OK, so my goals are to:

*move every day first thing, balancing weights, smart cardio, and yoga

*focus on eating the things that nourish me (more high-nutrient veggies) and eliminating the things that destroy me (fruit, nuts, coconut flesh, butters, nightshades). Basically getting back to the template for reals.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am finding it very nurturing to lean into my WholeWhatever. I am so content to have boundaries around my food and the knowledge that I'll probably feel good in the morning after following template.

Moving is important for me too. My body feels a bit restless if I don't move. That said, just a lovely long walk nurtures me just fine.

I slept great last night and had a wonderful walk with a girlfriend.

I have cooking left to do today, then I get to chill.

Not enough movement = over thinking. Or, rather, hamster on a wheel thinking.

I'm glad I didn't start my w-- today because I wasn't fully invested. Over the course of the day I've decided I really want to give my psoriasis a chance to heal, and I really want to feel energized and positive.

So I will start tomorrow but I am going to include sporadic egg yolks. I ate them (added them back in cleanly after not eating eggs for a couple weeks and felt no ill effects. Read a bunch of Paleo Mom today and she mentions egg yolks are probably the AIP food most people can add back in. Giving myself this little bit of freedom suddenly makes it easier to breathe and imagine myself inhabiting this AIP space for the next few weeks--or however long. (I will mostly eat them as mayo, which expands my cold veg horizon.)

Lady M, I also do not so well when I don't move. And I haven't been moving much at all since my monthly yoga deal expired. :( Tomorrow: no excuses.

Calee, I don't mean at all to imply I don't see the value in the W30 and beyond. Hope you don't read me that way. I am sure I'd be resisting this a lot less if I hadn't eaten coffee with cream, wine, potato chips, and ice cream in the last week. Fortunately I've eaten otherwise on template so I'm not too far out of the mental loop.

I tend to get lost in decision making, miss the forest for the trees, etc. But decision made. Moving forward.

Beets! I know you will come up with the perfect plan for you, as each of us will. I don't have judgement about the paths we choose, only about how kind we re to each other.

KALE! I have a huge bag of organic baby kale. What do I do with it? I've never cooked it before. This was my foray into cooking something new.

Suggestions?

Susan, don't tempt us :) Seeds are oooout.

I can confirm that Beet's salad is awesome!

I love it sauteed with garlic and lemon or apples and onions. I love it in Caldo Verde too. I just throw a handful in my breakfast kitchen sink skillet.

You guys I have a couple of little pink indented kind of spots on my forearm, that have been there a while and have not gone away. Mostly I don't think about it bc I can't really see it, but my husband noticed it and asked and the first thing I thought of was psoriasis. Then I google imaged to see and now I'm practically having an anxiety attack because I just saw the most extreme photos ever. Beets, your legs wouldn't even register on the radar compared to what I saw. Green stuff! This is why I could never work in the medical field. It doesn't help that I'm hopped up on coffee. I doubt I even have it, maybe it's fungal. But what if its the Big C?! You would laugh if you saw these little spots compared to the size of fit I am having just from looking. But it's enough to start making another go at AIP more and more appealing.

Beets! I know you will come up with the perfect plan for you, as each of us will. I don't have judgement about the paths we choose, only about how kind we re to each other.

Now if only everyone thought like that the world would be a much better place. I love the fact that we're all at different stages in our journey, that having a solid W30 behind us all we're working out what's best for each of us individually.

I'm a baby at AIP but so far I'm enjoying it, although I'm really missing my chipotle powder which, since I had to buy it by the kilo, I was adding to everything.  I'm seeing it as another challenge and the swelling in my knuckles has gone down and they don't hurt anymore so that's good. Wait til I start craving chocolate chili and then i'll stamp the foot and have the temper tantrum ;)  Right now, I'm hooked on Tom's suggestion of sardines and sauerkraut :wub:  I think it could become my go-to breakfast. I also found some Swedish smoked salt in Wholefoods and it's really good.

I really envy you all being able to move. when I was younger, I worked in a gym and never envisaged not being able to exercise. In fact,when I first got ME, I know I made it so much worse by refusing to accept that I couldn't exercise and spent ages flat on my back as a result. I have seen small improvements with W30. I managed out and round Wholefoods on Friday and I'm going out again today to visit my father and hopefully the AIP will improve it even more :)

No, Susan we can't have tahini so my kale chip recipe is redundant which knowing how many of them I could eat is probably just as well ;) so here's to us all getting healthier and doing the best we can.

• Moderators

Kirsteen, that sure puts things in perspective for me. My mother is all but housebound from diabetes and heart conditions and my stepmother is managing her MS, so I have an awareness. But it gives me more reason to be grateful that I can move freely and deliberately.

Sardines and kraut are my go-to packed dinner on nights I teach. So easy, tasty, and filling.

I'm glad I quit nightshades before I ever tried chocolate chili. From all I've read, I would be addicted.

so here's to us all getting healthier and doing the best we can.

YES! This.

That does indeed put things in perspective. Makes me feel I need to be appreciating and moving my body more everyday. I'm often impatient that my body isn't the same body that used to run regularly (knee issues) but I can still move in other ways.

I will be brief bc Tapatalk is taking out line breaks today and I can't go in and edit (so I will have to use code for my breaks).

Intended to get to bed early but futzed around too much. That has to be a bigger priority. It was during my w30 but I've let it slide. Then my son woke up fussing for water. Also my piriformis/SI joint pain is acting up. This is what happens when there is no yoga for two weeks. I will do my little viniyoga low back routine today to try and nip that in the bud.

Food is good. I made an extra burger patty last night and had that with l/o cole slaw. Green tea. I actually ate within an hour of waking! Yay me.

Day 34: woke up feeling good. Sipping jasmine green tea. Long day. Work from 7-3:30 but at least I get to walk to and from work. My bag of breakfast and lunch is packed for several days. Barre class at 5, then meeting with friends for an hour. Maybe I can make the kale salad between work and Barre so that it's ready when I get home at 8.

A tad nervous about Barre class. Always a bit nervous at new things. A friend is coming with, which makes it fun. So what if I can't quite do what the 22 year olds can do!

I was so confused when I saw a new title in my notifications that I didn't sign up to follow!  :blink:   I was excited to see that you all decided to change the name and to see so many doing another AIP challenge!  I have been reading your posts from the beginning and am in awe and admire all of you as you take the time to get to know your bodies and how what we eat affects us.  You all are amazing, beautiful women!

I am planning on starting a Whole24 AIP (realy an Whole14 AIP with 10 days to try some re-intros) on June 10th and look forward to joining you all on a daily basis.  Since finishing my Whole30 at the beginning of May, I have added in a few things here and there and am finding a lot of crappy things happening again.  :(   Since I have RA, I really wanted to try AIP but didn't think I could do it.  After reading about your experiences, I know I can do it!  I think the hardest part will be cutting out the Ghee for 14 days since I don't use coconut oil to cook. Luckily, I have bacon fat and some tallow.  I will be having a cookfest a few nights this week so I will plan on making some GF beef and bone broth and save the fat that cooks off.

Who knew I'd be getting excited about restricting my food even more?!?!?!   :D

I try to use my pressure cooker and slow cooker as much as possible, but the thought of eating slow-cookered winter vegetables is completely :wacko:.

So. Anyway. I will be eating a lot of meat + salad. .

Beets - The only crockpot thing I can deal with in the summer is to dump some salsa on a beef or pork roast and call it tacos.  I know you can't do that because of AIP, but maybe you can come up with a variation that would work.  I also LOVE butternut squash soup cold.  I suppose you could cook the squash/carrots/celery/broth in the crockpot and then blend it with the rest (my recipe has cashews and coconut milk and spices added) and then chill it.  Good luck with the heat!  We're not seeing any heat yet!  We have a new geothermal system, though, that should keep us cool if the heat ever does come.

I want to devote the next couple weeks to:

ditching sugar for real,

getting solid sleep and

moving my body.

I love how you stated your intentions for the next couple weeks!

My intentions for the next couple weeks are:

ditch the anybutter habit

move my body

KALE! I have a huge bag of organic baby kale. What do I do with it? I've never cooked it before. This was my foray into cooking something new.

Suggestions?

I LOVE raw kale massaged with olive oil and a pinch of salt and then drizzled with balsamic.  Yum!

I was so confused when I saw a new title in my notifications that I didn't sign up to follow!  :blink:   I was excited to see that you all decided to change the name and to see so many doing another AIP challenge!  I have been reading your posts from the beginning and am in awe and admire all of you as you take the time to get to know your bodies and how what we eat affects us.  You all are amazing, beautiful women!

I am planning on starting a Whole24 AIP (realy an Whole14 AIP with 10 days to try some re-intros) on June 10th and look forward to joining you all on a daily basis.  Since finishing my Whole30 at the beginning of May, I have added in a few things here and there and am finding a lot of crappy things happening again.  :(   Since I have RA, I really wanted to try AIP but didn't think I could do it.  After reading about your experiences, I know I can do it!  I think the hardest part will be cutting out the Ghee for 14 days since I don't use coconut oil to cook. Luckily, I have bacon fat and some tallow.  I will be having a cookfest a few nights this week so I will plan on making some GF beef and bone broth and save the fat that cooks off.

Who knew I'd be getting excited about restricting my food even more?!?!?!   :D

I have RA that's been in remission for over a decade but wanted to see if I could feel even better following the AIP.  I too don't use coconut oil for cooking.  While I love the coconut smell in suntan oil or other lotion, it grosses me out in cooking.  I discovered last month that coconut meat really isn't my friend except very occasionally when I don't mind looking pregnant.  

I think that you will find this easier than you think!  I test a teapsoon of Ghee after 15 days of AIP and had a stuffed up nose within 5 minutes.  I hope that changes because that sweet potato was heavenly, even with just a teaspoon and some cinnamon.

Definitely join in our conversation!!  :)

Howdy, I'm jumping in to introduce myself and subscribe to notifications.  I'm considering doing AIP for my next Whole30 (which will be in July). 

I'm Amy and I did my first Whole30 back in September-October of 2012.  Since then I did another Whole30, a Whole66, and a Whole60.  I'm taking a break while I do some summer traveling.  I plan to do a Whole30 during the month of July. 

Obviously, I've had great results, since I keep coming back for more!  My ultimate goal is to make Whole30 eating the basis for my daily eating, and branch out from there for special occasions.

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and the results I've gotten from the regular Whole30 have been quite remarkable.  In looking over the AIP Whole30 list, it looks like the only thing I consume regularly (not to say constantly) that's prohibited is tomatoes.  I do occasionally eat peppers and sometimes eggplant.  Leaving out curry powder and chili powder will be something to remember too.  I'm not really an egg person, and the fact that eggs just don't sit well with me is what made me think I might like to try the full AIP in July.  At the moment I really don't consider it a meal unless there have been tomatoes in it, though, so changing that will be my biggest hangup (and, quite frankly, the only reason I haven't dived in yet).

I'll be reading the thread to catch up and hanging out here to learn more.  Nice to meet y'all!

Beets - The only crockpot thing I can deal with in the summer is to dump some salsa on a beef or pork roast and call it tacos.  I know you can't do that because of AIP, but maybe you can come up with a variation that would work.

I make a salsa that I found somewhere?? It's chopped avocado, cucumber, spring onion and mango with lots of chopped coriander and lime juice. As far as I'm aware it's all AIP compliant :wub:

Hmm.  I'm seeing different AIP lists wherever I turn.  Is there just one for everyone and I've missed the good one, or is everyone on a different protocol depending on their issue(s)?

Also, a frisson of horror over the idea of giving up cumin.  I actually came over here because I read an AIP list that allowed cumin.  If cumin is out of bounds I will need to reconsider.  My results have been awesome without doing AIP and I was just hoping to make them slightly more awesome.  No cumin?  Hold me!

Amy, I'm a baby at the AIP so I still get confused. I've seen cumin allowed on some AIP lists but I don't know why 'cos it's a seed. I believe Paleo Mom (brilliant site for AIP stuff I tend to go by her lists) lists it as a seed therefor banned - yes I sobbed over that one too.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/spices-on-autoimmune-protocol.html

Archived