Oh and my husband whines too about the lack of normal flavors in our food. To which I reply that he can make his own. (Which he will not do.) I can't stand making separate food for everyone in this house.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been like that too. And it's how I felt for so long. And why I self-medicated anxiety and ADHD with pot. It made me a highly, er, moderately functioning human being. Now, without it, I clearly see when my natural blissful state starts slipping away from me. My microbiome is in protest, I hear their demands for irritant free provisions, I must abide!

Oh and my husband whines too about the lack of normal flavors in our food. To which I reply that he can make his own. (Which he will not do.) I can't stand making separate food for everyone in this house.

That's part of what made the AIP harder the first time. I love that my husband can notice a change in me with my diet too- I know I'm not just imagining things.

. I lent my book out if anyone has it handy and doesn't mind giving me the list I would appreciate it.

The IBS list is eat plenty of fibre rich veg, thoroughly cooked and chopped small. be cautious with fruit. Peel it all and avoid what you can't peel. Eat it as ripe as possible. Avoid fruits that have seeds and a rough exterior like berries. avoid citrus and dried fruits and fruit juices. Avoid all nuts and seeds (that's AI anyway) and coffee. Drink plenty of water but not with your meal and finally consider taking a high quality fish oil.

Good luck

• Moderators

Mo, your husband sounds like a doll right now. I'm glad he's being sweet and giving you confirmation. I hope you get back to feeling great and that you both get laid more soon. :)

Beets, I like your attitude. Eat what I cook or cook for yourself. Seems entirely reasonable to me. And choosing to cook food that is healthy for you is such a huge step in taking care of you, who also cares for everyone else. Thinking of the oxygen mask metaphor here.

I'm pretty dang sure that tomatoes are a no go pretty much forever for me unless I'm willing to hurt for a little while. What I know about ayurveda teaches me that there are ways to balance their ill effects occasionally, but right now it's just not worth it. Especially as we enter summer I think it's really important to eat foods that have a cooling effect (cilantro, cukes, celery, lettuce, coconut, apples, watermelon to name a few) and minimize those that create heat in the body (all nightshades, garlic, onion, parsley).

I am really enjoying eating super simply at the moment. It's an effect of my measuring experiment while using a website that's super tedious and slow! I don't want to enter more things than I have to, so rather than eating a big mix of veggies at each meal I'm sticking to one. I've read that this can be good for digestion too. I know it won't last long since I need to mix things up for myself sooner rather than later but I'm happy to roll with it for now.  Yesterday I grilled a big ol' GF NY strip and ate half of it for lunch with a pile of green beans topped with guac and the other half for dinner on salad greens with kraut and more avo. Easy peasy. Satisfying.

Coffee date guy and I got together last night after I finished teaching and had a fun time. He made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes. I don't want to jump the gun, but if this means I start dating again I need to think about how that might affect my approach to my diet and how rigid I want to be. I actually think this is a healthy pondering for me.

Last week of teaching until January almost done. The great vista before me almost makes me giddy.

post-14185-13705250668421_thumb.jpg

Feels good to be on this healing path once more! For breakfast I baked 2 pieces of flounder with chopped green beans and herb de Provence and olive oil on top, then whipped up some avo mayo with onion and garlic powder and dried cilantro. Leftover sweet pot fries. Doesn't look to pretty, but it tastes good and I know there is nothing in there but clean fuel.

LadyM, that's great about coffee guy. I've been dating during this W30. What I figured out is that I easily sway towards others needs/opinions etc and that I need to find my core balance and stay there. The first guy accepted all meals of W30 just fine and loved how healthy it was. New guy was kinda funny. On Day 30 I got a text saying.... Are you still off wine because it's may? Yup, and for June as well.

Once on vacation, my son said. Mama, your real victory with food will be when you're on a food plan that works for you, whether on holdiday or in your day to day. I often cave to less than optimal on holiday because I feel carefree and want that "party in my mouth". So I'm really working on figuring why I'm willing to feel less than vibrant at anytime in exchange for a few minutes of luxury in my mouth. It's crazy to think about but I have gone there so often. I trade away my health by making poor choices for myself. That's why WholeWhatever rather than W30 for me. I have lots of internal dialogue to work though.

I spoke too soon yesterday about feeling great at 1:30. At 2 I ate 1/2 sweet potato with 2 oz chicken breast. 3:30 throwing it up. Walked a 5k, thn went to Pilates. Kept it simple last night with chicken broth and a bit of fruit salad. I think I'm fine this morning. No beef today! But I have a feeling it was a fluke. I used to eat beef once a day before W30, or sometimes 2x a day.

Mo, happy to see you back!

Nadia, details about he flash mob please!

LadyM- I hope this isn't too personal or prying but I'm curious about your healthy pondering about how rigid you want to be with your diet in lieu of dating. Do you mean you might be less rigid for social reasons? To make eating out easier? Are you worried about seeming neurotic about food and explaining that to someone? I have been pursuing my health though diet changes for over a decade and dated a lot of that time. No matter what plan I was following at a time I would be so easily swayed from my ways by what the man I liked wanted. I'm just kind of puny that way. When my husband and I first got together I was swayed towards homemade bread and Mexican food- delicious- but made my ADHD unbearable which led me to meds which led me to here. Now it's amazing to watch him take cues from me- he has given up gluten and his beloved home brewed beer and cured his sleep apnea. Anyways, I'm fascinated to see your thinking process on this as you are coming into dating following an extremely restricted woe.

I'm moving to a new house in a couple of months (buying rather than renting) and I'm thinking an herb garden would be a perfect accompaniment to some very clean eating.  I am pretty deeply in love with fresh basil...

For the moment I'm still following along with you folks.  Doing some traveling and taking a planned break from Whole30 until July.  (Also engaging in some of Calee's internal dialogue about what I choose to indulge in and why.)  Since I have cleaned out the fridge for travel, I know I can eat as clean as I choose when I get back without being concerned about using up leftovers.  Ha!

• Moderators

Your real victory with food will be when you're on a food plan that works for you, whether on holiday or in your day to day.

This right here, Mo.

I think that a re-emergence from isolation is a good thing and makes me think about how I want to live in the world, be social, and take care of myself. I prefer eating home, drinking a little now and again, and not calling attention to what I do or do not eat. I've been off gluten, sugar, dairy more or less for a year now and have managed fine. I don't expect to throw caution to the wind and start back up on all that crap just because I'm dating.

But if I'm honest, one of the reasons I started W30 was to get beyond food obsession--not become more food obsessed. I've learned a lot in this process, and a significant lesson is I'm not willing to make myself or anyone else crazy with what I do or do not eat. There's no magic here just as there's no magic eating off the rails. Bottom line is I know what makes me feel good, and part of feeling good is having the freedom to be social and not anxious about it. Off roading for me is not about eating whatever whenever anymore, but it is about figuring out how to live my best life balancing optimal nutrition with exercise, meaningful work, stress reduction, and yes, pleasure and fun. It's that last piece I'm worst at and am willing to compromise the rigidity of W30 to get. Not at too great a cost to my nutrition though.

You see? It's figuring out the right balance that I'm pondering. I want to have a cocktail now and again during summer. I want to eat out occasionally without freaking about seed oils. I want to relax and have fun while still inching closer to optimum health, something that's way bigger than food. I want to keep that in mind. Because I deserve to live a happy and carefree life.

Does that make sense? Do you think I'm fooling myself or is there a balance to be found?

That was me that said that LadyM. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. We are at different points in The food journey. Social at my age looks different than at your age. Getting older and seeing my parents health diseases ( heart disease, kidney disease, stroke, celiac and Alzheimer's) make it important for me to be really going for optimal health. Neither of my parents were overweight. Short people, each under 120 pounds at 90 and 88 when they died. If I'm going to live long, I want to live vibrant with my brain intact. It's the least I can do for my son to at least give it my best shot.

Dating on a food plan is challenging, if we make it so. Include those occasional cocktails in your plan. If they don't work for you, reevaluate. :)

• Moderators

I totally get that, Callee. Thanks. I get to make it up as I go along, and that's a good thing to remember.

I knew I was quoting you--I was using it to answer Mo's question. :)

I totally get that, Callee. Thanks. I get to make it up as I go along, and that's a good thing to remember.

I knew I was quoting you--I was using it to answer Mo's question. :)

Lol, the new quoting system makes it tough for me to know who's taking about what.

I have a food question. If you fry a small plantain in coconut oil, how much is a serving?

Please remember that this ? comes from a person who thinks a watermelon is a serving. :)

Thanks Beets and Nadia. I probably ate more than 1 serving in an F it moment. I felt rebellious and tired at dinner. A chicken thigh and a mid sized plantain. It wasn't even that yummy but I finished it. I don't think I will buy it again. I need to eat heaps of veggies today.

I figured out something yesterday. Last year I was unemployed from December to November. All those months to play and hike daily for 2-3 hours. Now I'm back at a computer typing 8 hours a day and also now doing accounting for the first time in 20 years so I'm back on a big ten key calculator. My fingers are 20 years older and not quite as nimble. I'm fast on the calculator. Yesterday it struck me the my fingers feel a bit inflamed in the morning. Perhaps it's the keyboarding and not food causing he inflammation. I didn't get it last year and ate eggs and beef daily. Sometimes 4 eggs a day while low carb.

I don't feel inflammation or bloat anywhere else in my body. I've been AIP for a month or so. I wonder about testing egg to see how I do. I haven't had an egg in 40 days. I miss them most in salad, particularly the yolk. I don't eat mayo but a Yolk smashed in EVOO is so yummy to pour on salad.

Opinions?

• Moderators

Calee, I think your observation about your fingers is brilliant. I'm of the mind that it's really healthy for us to start looking at factors other than food when the cause isn't super obvious. I say reintro yolks. I'm thinking of doing it again, too.

As for plantains, they definitely have abuse potential for me. I only tried them in the past couple of weeks and when I made chips by slicing one large one (approximately 8 oz I see now, roughly 72 g of carbs) thinly and frying the pieces in coconut oil, I ate the whole thing dipped in guacamole made from a whole avocado. That plus a burger patty or two was a meal a couple times. And I wonder why I haven't lost weight on this plan! :rolleyes:

Here's a helpful article from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446647-low-carb-diet-and-plantains/ Very eye opening!

Also, sorry for the bean counting if it's not helpful. I'll only keep it up for another week or so!

Calee, I think your observation about your fingers is brilliant. I'm of the mind that it's really healthy for us to start looking at factors other than food when the cause isn't super obvious. I say reintro yolks. I'm thinking of doing it again, too.

As for plantains, they definitely have abuse potential for me. I only tried them in the past couple of weeks and when I made chips by slicing one large one (approximately 8 oz I see now, roughly 72 g of carbs) thinly and frying the pieces in coconut oil, I ate the whole thing dipped in guacamole made from a whole avocado. That plus a burger patty or two was a meal a couple times. And I wonder why I haven't lost weight on this plan! :rolleyes:

Here's a helpful article from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446647-low-carb-diet-and-plantains/ Very eye opening!

Also, sorry for the bean counting if it's not helpful. I'll only keep it up for another week or so!

Haha!  At work I'm known as Ms. Beans!  I've been counting and tracking calories for so many decades I could do it in my sleep.  I think MyFitnessPal is missing me since I started May 1st.  I understand why you're counting and I totally support you.  You've done your W30 and know where that got you.  You have some tweaking to do in a healthy manner and that's what I see you doing.  This is your Post W30 and yours to dance with, however you choose.  I'll support you in whatever way you need to nurture your body. 

Ok, we can both add yolks and compare notes.  I've really stayed away from coconut meat since we decided to go off it last month.  Last night was the first time I fryed with it.  I just bought Avocado Oil but haven't opened it yet.  EVOO is just too heavily scented/tasting for some things.

I'll go read that article about plantains.  I bought a bag of plantain chips.  Just plantains and oil.  I could have put away the entire bag so gave them away.  I could see loving them fried if I could add some sweet to them.  I never thought about avocado.  I think I'll still stay away from them until i drop a few more pounds, unless I eat them at a great restaurant, which makes them one time.

Have a fun day!

• Moderators

Now that I've figured out one oz of plantains has 9 carbs I think I'll slice and fry the three ripe ones sitting on my counter and throw them in the freezer. One ounce at a time used as chips with guac will do nicely now and again.

Thanks for understanding, Calee. I appreciate the support! You have a fun day, too!

Maybe the plaintain tostadas and sweet potatoes are why I've stalled out at 5 lbs.  I probably need to experiment with skipping the starchy veg at each meal.  But I don't wanna!  Sigh. 

I learn so much every time I read this thread! 

Calee - I'm an accountant, too.  I can totally see how getting back to the 10 key after a break would cause some inflamation.  Make sure you are set up ergonomically, too.  I had some issues with my wrists when I started a new job (i.e. new chair, desk, etc) that lasted until I got a new chair and adjusted some things. 

I thought the plantains fried were a letdown as well. I never liked them but thought I was missing something or my taste would have changed. Everyone seems to love them just fried. Now the other day I fried an overripe banana-- that was amazing. My kids chowed it.

I haven't been eating much starchy veg at all. I'm wondering if it's contributing to a down mood. I'm avoiding sweet pots bc of potential SIBO issues (no overt symptoms but PM says most ppl w skin issues have it). I really don't dig squashes at all. I mean, blended into a soup fine. But otherwise not. Speaking of which Jen you mentioned a cold soup? Would you share the recipe?

Jen, I had to really make some adjustments going back to work. My desk/chair setup isn't he best but at least I have an ergonomic keyboard.

I feel like I've been sloppy with my food for a few days. The beef episode derailed me a bit. Not in the foods but in straying from the template. Too many cherries and not enough veggies. I've also been exhasted every nite from the workouts. I just want to grab something quick for dinner. Tomorrow is a run to the market for veggies. I hate this slumpy feeling.

I cancelled my dinner plans tonight because I'm wiped out but also didn't want a walk downtown as my turned ankle is not optimal. I wanted to rest it because I have Pilates in the morning. The classes are so challenging for me. Much more difficult than my last studio. It's probably good for me. My balance appears to be quite wonky. I'd really like a square of dark chocolate right now. Just sayin. Definitely not doing it!

Did I say too many sweet potatoes? Yeah, those too. They are s o darn comforting.

Archived