Beets, any squashes? Is it their sweetness or texture you don't like? I love them so much it's ridiculos. Mased (makes nice dip too), stuffed (perfect plates for ground meat and spinach) roasted (wedges with nice herbs crust) and added to the stew. Add roasted chunks to a salad mmm. Soups too, for sure. I have made all combos possible. +spaghetti squash is a lifesaver.

More for me and Mo, we know what to do with them ;) Btw, so proud of your ghee victory!

I love plantains with avocado and garlic. They also pair up with bacon, but that's me, I love my happy pigs local bacon.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I am trying to wrap my head around AIP and day 1 and I already flubbed....walnuts in my lunch salad!  :o  I knew I wasn't supposed to have them as of yesterday but somewhere between then and noon today, I forgot!  Guess my 10 day AIP will start tomorrow!  It really bums me out as I thought I had this in the bag!  Guess I'm not as perfect as I thought I was!  :lol:

I am going to the store after work and will be cooking meals for this week and for some reason I feel so much more restricted since I can't use my ghee and I don't really care for coconut oil.  I left my book at home so I am using this time to find out all the stuff I can't have... :wacko:  You all have definitely given me a lot of ideas in this forum as well as some good entertainment!

Yeah. Thread sure did get quiet. Maybe it was all the attention. It got shy.

I was also wondering about you, Kirsteen. And anyone else who started AIP? Curious about the book but the description and illustration are telling me not very much.

Oh and I just plain do not like the texture of squash unless it's puréed. Even in something like soup or chili when it's diced small I just won't eat it because I hate to get a mouthful of it.

Checking in. I came off AIP on Monday after a month so that I could test egg yolks. On day 43 today and giving yolks a second go of it today. I'm sticking to template and close to AIP. I want to see how I feel.

I am back on w30/AIP/IBS. I'm on day 8 I think. With the exception of a bit of cacao nibs on day 1 or 2, and 2 slices of bacon prob @ day 3 or 4, I have been strictly compliant. I feel like my recent offroading with alcohol and a few non-gluten grains really sent my skin into a frenzy- keratosis pilaris worse, pimples, dry heels, and a strange itchiness all over my body- not all at once but a little itch here and then a little itch there, relieved by scratching, but constantly one after another. I look like a spaz- and it dawned on me that I used to feel like that all the time and thought it was normal. It's not normal! I have also eliminated high histamine foods, mainly kombucha and sauerkraut. The itching has subsided already and I'm 3 days into that experiment. I hope to add 4oz of kombucha daily, and a small bit of kraut. It's very possible I was overindulging in both. Enjoying a delicious breakfast of beef and broccoli, not a nightshade or spice in sight nor missed.

post-14185-13710427213037_thumb.jpg

Looks yummy. How did you season it?

I'm on Day 1. Back to the old is calling it a whole--- helping or hampering? argument in my brain, but right now I need to start counting because I'm getting frustrated with myself.

Some day I'll be able to off-road and get back on track the next day. Actually, I believe I can if it's just one single meal that's planned ahead. But days of a nebulous eating agenda leaves me falling further away from my goals. Still on template, but those extras start to creep in.

Last night I had a lovely walk, enjoying the full June-ness of the evening. But then I came home and had wine thinking I'd prolong that feeling. But it just gave me a headache, which was pretty disappointing.

Along with an idea floating on Lady M's and Mo's threads, I need to find a way to prolong that feeling in myself. Read a great piece on Stevie Nicks yesterday. At one point she was saying she sometimes finds herself on stage "sober as a judge" and is surprised she enjoys it as much as ever. Bad paraphrase but you get the drift.

The feelings I used to get from food (chocolate, sugar) and wine need to come from myself.

Double Tapatalk post. I'm really done with having to come onto Safari to edit my posts and add back line breaks. Do we think this is a permanent part of the spam busting? I like how Tapatalk organizes the threads but I can't let the no line breaks thing stand.

Anyway.

I also ate some dried fruit yesterday am. Got an order from Fresh Direct (grocery delivery). I hate the boxes it comes in but they have a pastured local chicken for around $13 (v $23) and it's easier for me to stay on budget since I can delete from my cart if the tab gets too high. There's always a free-for-all when the delivery comes, with kids grabbing whatever treats they see.

Yesterday the treats were fruit and dried apricots to make their wallerbars. I had one because I hadn't eaten breakfast and had zero will. Thinking that little dried apricot set me off for the day.

Last: I went to the community garden yesterday and planted my blue red-spotted legs in the sun. Despite off-roading my psoriasis looks better today.

• Moderators

You know what's super cool? You're achieving that feeling, period, Beets. That in itself is a victory.

"The feelings I used to get from food (chocolate, sugar) and wine need to come from myself."

Honestly, I think this might be a bit harsh. You deserve some help and support. Expecting ourselves to simply generate happiness, peace, serenity, sexiness, June-ness, whatever you want to call it, might be too much. I think instead we can do the things and/or be the things that help bring about that feeling. Yes, the feeling is inside us, generated by us, and it really is a matter of surrendering to that part of ourselves that is that feeling . . . but accessing it requires some guidance, if you ask me. Sounds like walking does that for you right now. What if you just kept making time and space to go for a nightly walk?

I liken it to yoga and meditation practice. Asana was originally designed to prepare the body for long periods of sitting in meditation. We shouldn't expect ourselves to simply be able to sit for long periods of time without proper preparation. I think of your nightly walk as preparation for the kind of feeling you hope to sustain. It's all practice.

Thanks for the Stevie Nicks quote. It's a nice reminder. I so often drink when I go dancing, but I don't need it. In fact, I don't like it. And I flat out HATE the way I feel the next day when I've overdone it. New goal this summer for me: dance without getting liquored up. My biggest obstacle is peer pressure. Dang.

• Moderators

BTW I'm definitely riding my own bike with AIP right now. I'm including egg yolks, coffee, butter/ghee, and seed spices but excluding fruit, nuts, other dairy, nightshades, starches except post wo--and the usual haters: grains, soy, sugar, etc.

• Moderators

Hooray for better looking psoriasis and hanging out in the garden. Nature is so good, even in small doses.

Something that's helped me break the dried fruit habit. I've simply put it in the category of "candy" in my mind. Because that's how it behaves in my body and mind.

I'm not by any means suggesting this is you, but I've learned (finally) that any "trigger" food/food without brakes/food I might binge on is simply not good for me. The fact that they are without brakes gives me a clue that they're poison to my body. My favorite binge food for years was trail mix. I thought it was healthy because it was fruit and nuts. Uhhhhhhno. I'm so much better off sans nuts and dried fruit.

I don't have time to type much but, oh, MY BELLY HUUUUUURTRRTTRS. All night. It's sticking out and very tender. And so much farting! I know this logic is thin but I'm going to try bulletproof coffee today for two reasons: 1: IF, less food has got to help this sitch. 2: digestion stimulation. I'm regular now but I think I need to speed things up today. LadyM seems to be doing well with, perhaps I can handle it today. 4 days of caffeine. Is it worth going back?!

*4 days of NO caffeine. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TAPATAAAAAAAAAAAAALKKK!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbeets have you been back in the App Store to read the reviews- there may be an explanation there, or at least the proper place to lodge a complaint

• Moderators

I'm  not totally in love with BP coffee because I'm not entirely convinced it's the healthiest route. What I do love about it, though, is the predictable pooping that directly follows (though not yesterday for some reason. weird.), the less food (not necessarily for any crazy diet-y mentality, more because I feel better eating twice instead of three times a day and I think it helps my blood sugar, strangely enough), and the less thinking about food (one less time every day to have to make a choice about what to eat).

If caffeine is a problem for you, then I'm not sure breaking your 4-day coffee fast is worth the possibility of becoming dependent again. Let us know what you choose and how it goes!

Just wanted to say good morning. I love reading the self exploration. I have to agree, books, mags, tv, movies all make it seem like we should automatically be radiant, serene and delightfully pleased with ourselves. So not true, we carry so many stories in our head. We need to sift through to write our own story and practice the aspects we love the most until we truly own them. meditation and self reflection seems to be forever, at least if we want to keep fresh and grow and develop new thoughts.

Opps,that was more than good morning! :)

Real Stevie Nicks quote: "Sometimes I'm up onstage and I'm going, ‘I can't really believe you are actually up here, sober as a judge, having a great time.' †The piece is here. I really enjoyed it. http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/06/stevie-nicks-on-life-at-65-with-fleetwood-mac.html

If you do Instapaper or Pocket or one of those, it's a good thing to save. It's a good read and addresses, thoughtfully, Nicks' age, weight, love affairs past-tense, being not romantically involved, creativity, shawls.

I don't think I'm being harsh with myself when I say I want that feeling to come from something besides wine or chocolate, though I appreciate your thoughts. I have no expectation that sense of calm (chocolate, wine) or being able to lose myself in the moment (wine) will come right away. Just something (else) to shoot for, just an idea that occurred reading the feeling idea running through the threads these days. I also love the idea of walking as a stand-in for yoga. (Of course doing both would be ideal.) I always felt that running was my meditation, and without being able to run my exercise as self-fortification has been foundering. I have been considering finding some walking meditation tracks.

Oh and I hear your on the dancing without booze. I went to a couple weddings pregnant and it was slow-going, but I occasionally found myself dancing with almost as much joy. Especially when I realized everyone else around me was drunk. But, yeah, it's easier to get yourself in that joyful dancing place with a few drinks.

Last, I haven't had dried fruit in almost two weeks. (I have repeated to myself your thought that dried fruit = candy.) Or nuts. And yes, I'm also way better off without. I'm a little sad about the nuts (and the fruit is always such an easy grab). But since my psoriasis hasn't flared despite my off-roading I can only conclude that nuts are a major player. :angry:

Calee, I think you're right to remind us that this is a lifelong journey. I'm just happy I started down this path because my old path was definitely not working anymore.

M, I think the Tapatalk issues are related to the site issues (quoting, etc.). They started on the same day and whenever I try to edit Tapatalk posts I get a doman error, leading me to believe things are being blocked or forum functionality is disabled in an effort to stop the spam. This is my mostly uninformed guess. 

It's a major issue for me because I'm a compulsive re-writer and hardly ever leave my posts as is--major PITA swapping between the app and the website on my tiny phone with my tiny keyboard. 

Oh my. I had some black coffee this am and now I cannot stop typing. Also: the joy of using an actual keyboard while my kids watch TV. :ph34r:

Apropos of the caffeine question: I was off coffee from April till last week. I'm not sure why I started drinking it. But I started having maybe a half a cup of iced black in the morning last week. This weekend, I had some black with my MIL. She always wakes up early with me and the kids and we chat over coffee. She's had some physical and mental issues (early stage Alzheimer's) but she is most herself during those am chats. (Never thought I'd drink black coffee!!) Monday I drank some in the car. McD's black coffee is vile. Obvs. But I drank it.

Tues I bought a black iced Americano from the coffee shop. Drank most of it. Couldn't sleep. Yesterday tried sticking with iced green tea. WAs ok. Today it's rainy and I made coffee for my husband and am drinking a cup of it black. I think it would help my psoriasis to be off it. But, honestly, without the dairy it doesn't seem to bug my stomach. If my psoriasis improvement stalls I'll have to quit it again--which is a brutal thought, and hence : regret.

And, oh, the beef and broccoli was just a throw together but it went something like this: cast iron, beef tallow, thin slices red onion (lots), dehydrated carrot, dehydrated ginger, broccoli, leftover steak all sautéed and browned then I added some very gelatinous brothy drippings from who knows what meat and salt and reduced it down. I think that's all!

Also I visited TX twice to see a guy. He lived in Dallas but was in a band I liked and we drove to Austin and Houston and out to somewhere in West TX to see his dad. I really liked the sky there and the feeling of openness.

• Moderators

"I don't think I'm being harsh with myself when I say I want that feeling to come from something besides wine or chocolate, though I appreciate your thoughts."

No, I of course agree that it's a good thing for it to come from something besides wine or chocolate. What I thought was harsh was what I interpreted as your saying that you should generate that feeling from within yourself rather than using something else outside yourself . . . "The feelings I used to get from food (chocolate, sugar) and wine need to come from myself."

Archived