today I ate:

M1: leftover ground lamb and leftover "curry" butternut squash, tulsi tea

M2: just a little more of above as I didn't quite eat enough to go the distance to lunch, 2 quarts of cucumber blackberry water

M3: cold leftover chicken, 1/2 avocado, there may or may not have been a veggie here, also 2 dates with 2 dabs of coconut butter

M3: went out to Red Lobster (not my idea!) for my SIL bday. I had a lobster tail, a couple of crab legs and plain steamed green beans and broccoli. I wrestled back and forth about whether or not I'd eat the butter. When the time came, I did. It was the only fat I had so it seemed better than having nothing. Especially because I had already sort of tested myself on butter and done ok. I passed on the salad, because I know for a fact that iceberg lettuce and I don't get along, so I felt good about making that choice. My husband started talking about ice cream after dinner and I was like...oooh mayyyybe I could just have a little coconut bliss (coconut milk ice cream sweetened with agave), that it would not be too damaging. But when I got to the store to shop, I decided on a lemon kombucha instead and got him a pint of haagen daaz. Watching him eat it, I felt no desire to have that (choc+milk+sugar can f*ck off), though I did jokingly ask if I could just dip the tip of my nose into it. Drank half my kombucha then made a cup of tension tamer tea.

Maybe a little tmi here though I know everyone secretly loves reading about other people's butt stuff- night before aip started I ate a lot of cholula hot sauce, the first and most spicey stuff I'd had in a while, and guess what, now I have a little tiny (but annoying) hemeroid. :ph34r: I felt my innards burning that night and really kind of into the next day, but now I feel like as that substance worked through the length of my intestines it is really inflamming everything. I'd been a little thicker through the middle too. Not from eating too much either because I have cut my portions down. A client of mine with celiac (the one who sort of roundabout led me to w30, bless her little heart I lover her) is very allergic to tomatoes, gets irritated from the spicy nightshaddes but tolerates sweet bell peppers just fine- just something I'm keeping in mind for re-intro. I won't be testing spicey stuff again for a long time. My butthole was perfect until that hotsauce. :angry:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided I need to step up my game in the herbs and spices department. Mo, you seem to be doing a good job at this so far. I'm finding myself overly reliant on salt and lime/lemon juice for pizazz. And it's not so pizazzy. I'm also tired of eating the same 3 proteins, but I get this way just about every Thursday. Gearing up to start thinking about what new recipes I'd like to try for next week--and cleaning out my fridge. Doing both simultaneously can feel limiting. Oh well. I need to eat my salad greens, a purple cauliflower, a squash and sweet potatoes, half a cabbage, lots of zucchini, frozen kale--and in the freezer I have all kinds of liver, a heart, some kidneys, shrimp, a steak. Now to make it all tasty, interesting, and AIP.

Last time I went at this thing, I seperated the spice shelf into "spices" on one shelf, and herbs and aip safe on the other. I didn't have much on that shelf. So I read the paleomom list of safe seasonings and little by little stocked up. I now prefer the taste of herbs over spices, even when I was offroading there was only a handful of times I chose a spice. Herbs are delish- and coconut aminos, and coarse salts- I'll be on the lookout for smoked salt as Beets is talking about. One of my favorite food flavorings is simply the carmelazation that happens from cooking- this holds true for veggies as well as meats. I use mainly cast iron or enameled cast iron, stainless for some things. The w30 initially changed my taste buds so drastically that I love the flavor of the food on it's own.

This seems like as good a place as any to mention something I learned from doing aip/ibs (even for a short time)= once I went off of them it made following the regular w30 guidelines (or paleo, what have you) seem downright reckless and wild. I also was able to reintroduce vegetables that had previously been unbearable to eat (cabbage, onions, garlic, broc) and I credit eliminating eggs for that. So strict elimination times can have a positive effect in that once you expand, you feel that as an abundance, rather than as a limitation itself- making following a paleo diet long term that much easier.

Happy Day16 Whole30 and Day 2 AIP. I've loved reading everything that you all were up to today.

Doing the AIP feels so similar to my W30 because I was limiting so much the last two weeks. But now I definitely can't munch any nuts, which is good. I hit another exhausted wall today. I didnt have any coffee but did have a cup of tea. I walked to work, spent 8.5 hours in the office, then walked home. Still ok, but when I went up to walk in the woods I just felt all my energy drain out of me. It felt like the longest hour!

The patch of eczema that I get by my nose when I eat eggs, beef and oranges is worse than in a long time. Thing is, I haven't had those foods in 16 days. Why is it getting worse?

I sent my scale home with a friend. I'm going to stop weighing my food and my body. I started all of this to heal and learn to trust my body. This is turning out to be my real challenge. I'm so afraid of being morbidly obese again.

Did I mention that my copy of ISWF arrived today? Oh YAY!

Bites today:

1. 2 pork ribs, green beans.

2. Trout, salad, sweet potato, watermelon

3. 2 pork ribs, salad w EVOO, balsamic, handful of cherries

I'm hoping for more than six hours of sleep.

Beets, I almost googled legit smoked salt Toronto :) What makes it legit? Is there a particular brand? I have black salt and love it.

Moluv, having rules is making life easier for sure until brain start to rebel. I really hope that later than sooner. It's just happening even if I am happy with what I have. Is there a hypnosis thing to fix this :D

Ouch for the bum trouble. Good that it's summer time and no need to layer clothes, should heal soon, right? When even a small amount of some kind of food irritates me I can't help but wonder - how the hell was I living all this time? The less stress we put on the stomach the more sensitive it gets. Can I expect that soon I'll be having troubles from carrots.

My dream is to buy cast iron ones. I keep promising myself but then there is a ballet/circus class/whatever else to pay for. I remember your egg frying story about the skillets. I am a bit scared to cook with them, but I guess it's just the adjusting period.

Yes, yes and yes for the passage about the taste of veggies. I've read somewhere that taste sensors on our tongues renew themselves every 20-30 days or so. That's why coffee tasted like garbage to you after abstaining from it for a while, remember?

Calee, hold on tight there.They say it gets worse before it gets better. This is what I am telling myself, because my skin conditions worsened too. Moreover, reactions can appear up to 4 days after you consumed something that doesn't agree with you. I just decided to wait and see instead of scrutinizing my food.

I think the skin things def seem to get worse before better. When I started my W30 my psoriasis got insanely itchy! My scalp got so flaky and gross I had to spend minutes picking big flakes from my hair before leaving the house. I imagined all the little psoriasis genes or cells or whatever it is clawing and screaming, not ready to give up.

Not that it really happens that way. But shortly after it started getting better. Still there, but better. (I have two different kinds of psoriasis, one kind on my knees and elbows is drastically reduced; other kind that sprouted up on my shins post having kids is the more stubborn kind. My scaly scalp is better, too.)

I do think coconut oil applied topically helps my psoriasis. My daughter has a small patch of eczema on her knee and a dab of coconut oil makes it go away. Obviously it's too greasy to have on your face if you're going out, but maybe at night?

I'm going through some kind of intense catharsis of psyche. Short version: I have been walled off from many emotions, thoughts for the last year or so because I was so pathologically sleep-deprived and subsequently anxious and depressed.

Drinking coffee and staying in a state of near panic all day was brutal, but it also meant I didn't have to deal with many of my deep-seated issues. Now that my adrenals are healing (?) I am suddenly getting a flood of thoughts and feelings. I think the meditation I did yesterday brought a lot of old stuff to the fore. I keep dreaming about my high school boyfriend (wtf?? he isn't someone I pine for) in a really intense way and I'm not sure what that's about.

Maybe I should write this longform journaling in my own log.

Also, I just meant legit smoked salt v a salt with smoked flavor. I found it at a little specialty shop but it's a major brand and it's sold in a bunch of places online. Maldon Smoked Salt: http://mobile.seriou...moked-salt.html

I use coconut oil as a skin moisturizer after shower, it really helps. My skin is so dry it takes it all. My worst kp is on my forearms. Second issue is scalp. Jeeze. Can't apply oil to it I think. I'll just wait for it to calm down and keep eating my fish oil.

It starts with food, but leads to healing way more than a gut. Beautiful.

Hitting my favorite spices store today. Mmmm. Dreaming about smoked salt over halibut steak. Good call, Beets!

Calee, hold on tight there.They say it gets worse before it gets better. This is what I am telling myself, because my skin conditions worsened too. Moreover, reactions can appear up to 4 days after you consumed something that doesn't agree with you. I just decided to wait and see instead of scrutinizing my food.

UGH!!! Last night I laid in bed for hours trying to sleep. Finally fell asleep around 2 but had to wake up before 6. Not acceptable. I am wondering if it might be the cup of cherries I ate earlier in the evening with my dinner. Cherries are difficult to digest? I know that I don't sleep well if I eat heavy or too late in the evening, but can cherries do this? I wasn't full after eating and could have eaten a lot more.

I've been figuring it would all get worse before getting better, but I have to be optimistic and visualize how I want it to be, Right?? I'm a big fan and meditator on Laws of Attraction. I want to call attention to what's going well. I'm proud of myself for sticking with this stricter Whole30 AIP because it feels like an act of self love.

So today I'm a self loving tired zombie. There must be a story in there somewhere!

Organic unsweetened flaked coconut from Whole Foods. Any reason not to eat it on AIP? Is it acceptable to toast it in a hot pan for added flavor? I need yummy flavors to add to food. Please say it's so. Don't hold out the good stuff on me please. Even us noobie's need flavor! :)

Oh Beets!! I hope the meditation helps you heal and be able to rest better. I have a ton of guided meditations on my old ipod. I used to be in a women's meditation group. We met once a week and did long meditations. Mostly based on Laws of Attraction. Some were about calling ourselves home which I always loved being taken on the journey back to my core where everything begins. I hope it helps you. I'm cheering for you!!

I will dab some coconut oil on the patch of ezcema skin and see if it helps. I'll try to remember to do it until the 31st when my Whole30 will be over. That will be my marker to look for improvement. Over 10 days should hopefully show signs of improvement!

Haha, you looked up dukun bayi. And here I was trying to be obscure. It's actually what traditional birth attendants in Indonesia are called.

Anyhoo, offal bootcamp only if my chickens' livers are not involved.

Thanks for the warning about peppercorns.

Of course I did. I needed the reason behind breaking fingers trying to type your user name from the first try :D I decided that baby wizard from translator is way more funny.

• Moderators

According to ayurveda, coconut has a cooling effect, so it makes sense that coconut oil would be very good for inflammation, even applied topically to fiery skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. Ayurveda also encourages abhyanga (topical warm oleation/self massage) of the body for health, de-stressing and antiaging. It's done from head to toe, allowed to soak in a bit, and then rinsed out in a steamy hot shower. It helps to shampoo the hair before getting wet to get the oil out. Anyway, that's all to say that putting coconut oil on your scalp is not only doable, but it could be very beneficial.

• Moderators

I'm going through some kind of intense catharsis of psyche. Short version: I have been walled off from many emotions, thoughts for the last year or so because I was so pathologically sleep-deprived and subsequently anxious and depressed.

Drinking coffee and staying in a state of near panic all day was brutal, but it also meant I didn't have to deal with many of my deep-seated issues. Now that my adrenals are healing (?) I am suddenly getting a flood of thoughts and feelings. I think the meditation I did yesterday brought a lot of old stuff to the fore. I keep dreaming about my high school boyfriend (wtf?? he isn't someone I pine for) in a really intense way and I'm not sure what that's about.

This is awesome. Bringing forth the horror, like the Borges quote, so it can be processed and released. That's worth celebrating fo' shiz.

• Moderators

The w30 initially changed my taste buds so drastically that I love the flavor of the food on it's own.

This seems like as good a place as any to mention something I learned from doing aip/ibs (even for a short time)= once I went off of them it made following the regular w30 guidelines (or paleo, what have you) seem downright reckless and wild. I also was able to reintroduce vegetables that had previously been unbearable to eat (cabbage, onions, garlic, broc) and I credit eliminating eggs for that. So strict elimination times can have a positive effect in that once you expand, you feel that as an abundance, rather than as a limitation itself- making following a paleo diet long term that much easier.

Every day eating this way feels like abundance. There really isn't any part of me that longs for what I "can't" have right now. I am so right there with you on this and pretty dang content. Simple clean food is interesting enough for me these days. Added bonus: it makes me crave the best possible sourced foods. I needed nothing on that gorgeous little chicken I roasted except sea salt and pepper with a few garlic cloves and half a lemon in the cavity.

I won't multi quote here because I'm on my phone and I am talk texting. I have to say that most of the time I feel just fine with the choices I'm making and I totally get the kind of freedom that comes with restriction. I cannot tell you how many times I have stuck a fork full of food in my mouth while doing whole 30 where I shouted out OMG, this is unbelievable! That sense of joy in healthy, delicious food and the absence of guilt while eating is very powerful. And I don't question the legitimacy of working hard to ingest the best that this earth has to offer. But let's be honest, it takes a lot of work a lot of thought and a lot of action and a lot of learning. It has been in large part the focus of my days the last several months. Adding on top of that AIP and being mindful about FODMAPs is extending that learning curve. And so I guess my question is how will I know if I'm barking up the right tree in terms of treating or simply addressing the vast array of symptoms I have been experiencing for decades and which are getting more pronounced as I get older. I think really what I need is a health coach or practitioner, like calee said, to help me work through the tweaks and still feel like I'm doing it in a focused way. I hope you all don't read this as looking for instantaneous results, because of course I know that's not realistic. But I'd like to know that I'm on the right track. I know theoretically I am but sometimes I question.

Today I ate:

M1: had cooked a pork shoulder on low oven overnight- prepared by embedding garlic clives and ginger in the meat then rubbing with dried Valencia orange peel and dried sage, liberal salt. It was delicious. It was not pasture raised. Also steamed a whole head of cauli in my slow cooker in a little broth. It was nice to wake up to prepared food. Also had tension tamer tea because, kids.

M2: (post wo, hot yoga) small portion of pork and small banana, Kombucha

M3: a picnic under pines with my honey, mason jar salad with carrots, avo, olives, blueberries, lettuce, chicken and oil and vinegar.

M4: club soda mocktail, yet more pork roast with demiglace, mashed cauli with coconut milk and squash and zucchini sautéed in coconut oil, 2 homemade marshmallows (prob 1/2 teaspoon of honey)

Felt a teensy bit over fed, but the roast with demiglace was just so good, and the marshmallows were during movie time, def these things were eaten more for enjoyment than pure nourishment, but I enjoy that from time to time, and I'm not stuffed so its all good.

Yay for the weekend! I managed to stay out of my cranky pants today. After less than 4 hours sleep with a full day of work ahead, those cranky pants were calling my name.

I made it through my day but decided to skip my woods walk. Just too tired.

I feel like I learn so much reading this forum!

I hate confessing because nothing I do needs confessing about, but.......

I'm a freaking scale addict. Body and food. I couldn't let go of it the first two weeks but reading here and ISWF, I felt inspired to try. I was going to lock it in my car since I only drive on the weekend. But I'd be down in the parking garage getting weighed. I've gotten honest about food, but the scale....]}{<^~}*,€|\£¥\{]!! I sent it home with a friend yesterday. Now I'm afraid of gaining weight.

I've used my weight to beat the tarnation out of myself for 50 years. If mybweightbwas down I could feel ok about myself. If was up a pound I was obviously really screwing up and shouldn't feel good about myself. Funny thing is that I finally look healthy and good and should be so proud of myself. But I dangle another challenge in front of me. I want to learn trust with myself and learn healthier thinking.

The food is the easy part! Dang!

Bites:

1. Sausage, jicama, cucumber, tea, watermelon

2. Chicken, salad, EVOO, balsamic, toasted coconut

3. 2 leftover baby back ribs, sweet potato, greens, toasted coconut

Sleep please.

M1: lamb and cabbage sautéed with ginger, pieces of mango for a change of taste and texture

M2: lamb and cabbage and ginger, yet again, this time sautéed also with pineapple, cilantro, with coconut milk and splash of red boat

M3: few prunes, olives, hungry and wanted to wait for my husband.

M4: roasted chicken with smoked salt and tarragon, pan-fried carrots, kombucha

So I got this new kind of chicken. Pastured and some supposed Italian heirloom variety (and $13 v $23 for usual pastured chicken--good since I'm going WAY over my food budget lately and kinda freaking out about $), I was promised a thin skin that'd be very crispy and yes it was. Yum! Husband said it looked like the chicken danced its way into the pan:

post-19355-13688413990614_thumb.jpg

I did much better yesterday when I ate with my kids, rather than waiting for my husband. But these pastured chickens are small! :( I'm half-joking. My kids hardly eat anything.

I worked on some photos today and added a post to my little photo blog. (Still adding photos from last summer. I had a few batches I wanted to process and post before moving to more recent photos.)

Husband and I are watching Broadway Danny Rose, a movie we watched a bunch when we first got together. I love Mia Farrow's outfit. Always wanted to dress up like her character for Halloween, but I don't think my 6' tall, thin, bearded husband can pull off Woody Allen.

post-19355-13688427424477_thumb.jpg

Liking my food fine. It's somewhat easier to eat with fewer choices. That said I will be buying a brisket this weekend. Moluv, the pork sounds wonderful. I have to try it.

Your cocktail looks fab!

I can't say I don't miss things though. Really wanted some Sancerre tonight. Drank kombucha in a wine glass. Really wanted some ghee in my carrots. Used CO and added ghee to my husband's portion. Spices, eh. I'm ok there.

Lady M thanks for the encouragement. You are right, as usual. The horror. ;) I will do more mediation before bed. Though I'm a little scared of what I will stir up next.

Keep thinking of a line from mediation: I am skillful at some things, and less skillful at other things.

That chicken looks amazing, Beets!

I am delving into Paleo Mom, getting lots of answers to my questions.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/04/how-do-i-know-when-its-working-a-quick-troubleshooting-guide-to-paleo.html

My Friday night excitement: gonna listen to her podcast #39 on Gut Health while organizing my herbs & spices (thanks for that suggestion, Moluv).

Calee, great job with the scale! I didn't weigh myself during my w30 even thoug the scale was in the bathroom. When I went off-roading and weighed myself, I did it once in the am, then after going to the bathroom, and a few more times.

And, yeah, that thing can really make you feel awful about yourself. Even when you wake up feeling great and feel like you're in a good place. If the scale gave me something I didn't like, I'd keep stepping on it over and over all day long, hoping Id see something different.

Good riddance.

DB, I have to listen to that podcast. I'm on temporary hiatus from info reading. I think I ODd in the last couple weeks. Report back if it's helpful?

That chicken looks amazing, Beets!

I am delving into Paleo Mom, getting lots of answers to my questions.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/04/how-do-i-know-when-its-working-a-quick-troubleshooting-guide-to-paleo.html

My Friday night excitement: gonna listen to her podcast #39 on Gut Health while organizing my herbs & spices (thanks for that suggestion, Moluv).

That's a great idea, babywizard.

Hi All

Did fine yesterday. But struggling with no-egg breakfast. Couldn't seem to eat enough yesterday. And then slept and slept and slept. Today grumpy about AIP. And couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. Turns out I'm getting a cold. Which may explain everything. Nuff complaining.

This is what I ate today. Not so great but that's what it is.

1: meat, avocado

2: chicken, olives, cherries

3: burger, lettuce, mushrooms, onions

I'm on my phone so I cannot see what everyone has posted - so I can respond. And certainly not young enough to remember it all. Lol.

Happy eating!

Beets and Calee- so much yummy food listed! Beets all that fat in the bottom of the dancing chicken-scrum-dilly-umptious!

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss things from time to time- don't be fooled by my Pollyanna diatribes- most of that is my way of cementing a more positive belief pattern for myself. If I SAY to others I believe, then, well, deep belief myself follows. This evening I was exhausted with a capital X. I entertained the idea of a gin and tonic- and even though through whether I would fess up here or just lie about it (for shame!). My dear sweet and loving husband reminded me that I would regret it (and I knew that too) so I made the mocktail and sat on the couch perfectly still like an old lady reminiscing for a good long while. Later, when the kids were fighting (again) over ONE of their 100+ toy cars, I just very quietly slipped out the back door to watch the chickens eat and enjoy the breeze. My husband came out with a kiss and assurance that all would be ok. I think being in a chronically inflamed state does become like a drug itself (not even counting all the actual drugs ive done over the last half of my life) and as I'm healing from that more and more, like Beets said, the horror, it's just there. I hve few crutches left and I'm finally forced into learning the fine art of SELFCARE (a nod to you Lady M). It's a concept I've watched my husband explore in therapy but didn't really identify with his methods. Self care is sitting on the couch, or stepping on the porch, it's eating the right foods that help your body function as it was designed to, it's going to bed, it's saying no to others and yes to your heart.

I'm such a sap y'all, I think I'll stop there. Full of gratitude.

Nadia- many of our cast iron pans came from thrift stores and flea markets- like $5. Even if they are rusty that can all be resolved with a wire brush and re seasoning. YouTube is full of vids how-to.

Archived