I'll go coconut free with you, Calee!

Congrats on the big day. You're going to make it. Your energy will be good very soon. You just have to be patient and persistent. We've all been there on the W30. I'm still on mine--day 40--but I've made it past that energy slump. You will too.

Will you do the two hour hike if you don't have the energy? Be gentle with yourself. These are deep changes we're undergoing. . . .

LadyM, thanks for the solidarity! I'm so happy to hear that the slump gets better! This is definitely my worst day so far.

There is a much easier 75-90 minute walk in the woods that doesn't have the steep up and down. My walking peeps know about my slump this week and have agreed to the easier walk if I don't feel energized in the morning.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto. Sometimes less is more says Nadia who did a circuit and ballet class after, then ran to do grocery shopping and another core stretching class after...and going for another long walk. I still have troubles resting. It's nothing compared to a half year ago. So much better. Calee, this is the past habit, right? This desire to push more goes with calculating food, dieting etc, I know it too well :( Your body will appreciate a good rest day and good sleep more than any movement. Seriously. It's hard but so necessary.

Energy slump is actually a good sign, you know. This means that your body is getting used to burn fat instead of glucose.

Oy, calculating, pushing, more more more. Time to relax.

It's so difficult to view this energy slump as healing. I will adjust my thinking: energy slump = body conserving because all energy is needed for internal healing. I know low careers say there's a low carb flu when the bodybshits gears.

If I'm still eating fruit, will I burn fat? I didn't think so.

Mo! Love love love the lessons you learned today! So vital. Hanging on to yourself is so much more important than any conversation you might have that need wine as the facilitator. Wine is fine, but not when it makes you feel badm whether physically or emotionally.

It sounds like you had a fun day. Yay!

I must be on an opposite rhythm than some of you, 'cuz I am in abundance mode. Come back, join me here! It's fun!

I woke up at 8:30am, took my thyroid meds and decided to lay back down for half hour while it did its thing,

I have been listening to paleo podcasts, learning a lot about autoimmune issues, and generally expanding my horizons. Feeling very positive, motivated and inspired.

I'll be joining you in abundant energy very soon!

Can you actually feel your thyroid meds working? I've never been able to tell the difference.

That's great about enjoying your coffee. I love that you feel positive and motivated!

• Moderators

Good stuff, Mo. Summer is my usual drinking season and I've been thinking a lot about whether or not I like drinking or want to drink and what that will mean in terms of with whom I'll be spending time. Your experience provides more fodder for this rumination.

Wiz, I'm on levoxyl. I don't feel it working like I used to feel cytomel when I was on that. That stuff was kind of orgasmic at the time. My endo took me off it. Sigh. Congrats on the bone broth.

Calee, you sound like you're in a better place now. Good! I'm going coconut free for ten days starting today. Join me!

Beets, that totally makes sense. I'm in the same boat as far as shaking things up, but somehow my mind is not rebelling. I think part of it for me is that I haven't yet off roaded. Also, I've known for some time that mine is a personality that does well with limited choices, at least when it comes to food. Keeps my gluttonous nature in check. It helps, too, to refocus on all the splendid possibilities there are that we overlook. See Nadia's ground beef post in my log.

Nadia, you are so wise. At least your activities are relatively gentle ones. No more crazy group fitness classes at the gym for you!

Hi All,

Today is my last day of my 5 day AIP. I've learned some interesting things. I also find AIP very limiting and that makes me grumpy. Now I know it's not that limiting but it feels like it is. I will try it again at the beginning of June after company leaves. I had some good insight. 1st - my knee stopped hurting and most of my remaining morning stiffness was gone starting yesterday. Fingers crossed it is nuts/seeds. I am not going to reintro those. 2nd - something in my AIP compliant 5 Guys meal makes me bloat. I did not notice that till this mini AIP. 3rd - I think coconut is an issue for me as well. Certainly coconut flakes are problem.

Today is day 54 of a Whole Something. Tomorrow I am going to test Ghee Then tomatoes. Maybe peppers. I don't have time to do a few days between each before company comes. But I agree that one at a time will help.

Thanks to all of you for sharing. It helps a lot.

Happy eating!

Calee, you sound like you're in a better place now. Good! I'm going coconut free for ten days starting

I'm right there with you! Already feeling better today after no coconut yesterday.

almcc, yes please keep us posted. I agree with earlier sentiments that reintroduction will be the really telling part of this mini.

I am starting to think about the order of reintro... probably soaked nuts because I am so curious if I'll tolerate them better that way. Then maybe ghee, then eggs, then tomatoes.

Wiz, I'm on levoxyl. I don't feel it working like I used to feel cytomel when I was on that. That stuff was kind of orgasmic at the time. My endo took me off it. Sigh.

No, I don't feel a thing. I just know that it should be taken 1st thing on an empty stomach, but it's rare that I remember. I am a terrible pill taker... Forgetting for days on end and then taking 2-3 at a time to make up for it. Has a super long half life so it's not too horrible. You'd think after 20 years on the stuff I'd get it together.

Is cytomel desiccated pigs thyroid? That definitely has a very short half life so the effects are more immediately obvious.

I think I will write more in my own log (feeling introverted) but I'm glad you guys are all powering through--some with booze epiphanies and others with abundance.

I am so blah today. Six hours of sleep blows. I am still tired after eight, so six does not do it. Fri and Sat, too little sleep. Last night we saw Star Trek, which was fun. But our babysitter lives in our building and loves to gab when we get home. (As my husband said, "I'm not sure if we should pay her for babysitting, or she should pay us for therapy.")

I'm tired, missed my grass-fed meat farmers' market trip AGAIN, which sets me up for a decidedly not abundant meat week. I'll have to order my brisket.

I'm nothing without you, brisket. Please come back.

As much as I want my psoriasis to go away--and it is slowly slowly improving--I wonder if I am just not sick enough for AIP. I know I need to mix up my meals, but I lack the energy or will.

Beets, do you think that doing the AIP causes more slump than regular Whole30? Being in the middle of my first Whole30 I don't know. I did start slumping much more when I let go of the coffee this week.

I love that you mss your brisket. I love the stuff and hope I can add it at some point.

Oh Calee, I forgot about your beef intolerance :( And Beets, I'm sorry to say, I've been noshing brisket all day. It's not grassfed though so you're not missing much. I just cannot keep up with the grocery bill with doing 100% grassfed. The little ranch store I **thought** I was buying gf beef from turns out the girls that work there are f-ing clueless and the cows actually do go to the ffeedlot at the end. Fine, but it's not grass-finished, which I had been told it was before. Anyways, now it doesn't even seem worth the price jump. So my plan is to buy a couple big hunks of meat per week at the reg supermarket (pretty ok stuff, better than say, walmart quality) like a pork shoulder or a brisket and cook those slow overnight so we can eat that for a couple days- I really thought these slabs of meat should last longer- the big shoulder pork made it 36 hours, the brisket is halfway gone, oi oii oi. I should prob ramble about this on my own log. To what I ate!

What I ate:

Can't really break this down into m1, m2, m3 etc because I just grazed all. day. long.

brisket

pu-erh tea with coconut milk and raw honey

more brisket

spag squash with mashed avocado and carmelized onions (this was very tasty)

more brisket

2 dates, 2 smears coconut butter

made some caesar dressing with coc milk, anchovy, garlic, herb de provence and sampled by dipping lettuce, and you guessed it, more brisket :wub:

roasted sweet pot (whole thing) dipped in caesar dressing

I really didn't eat as much brisket as it looks like, I had finely chopped it, so the nibbles were small. I'm full now after the sweet pot, ready for bed. I had stinky gas all day, which I'm pretty sure is a direct result of drinking last night, because, ya know that whole add insult to injury concept.

Be well AIPers!

I can't keep up with all GF either. I'm in the weeds, budget wise. I have to go back to our butcher, who also uses grass-fed but grain-finished. And I need to do somewhat humane chicken instead of all pastured.

But I will splurge on that brisket. And one pastured whole chicken a week for broth.

Tonight I made meatloaf from Paleo Mom (from someone else...). Was a little nervous about it. I love most any meatloaf and I've made them without wheat (using oats), without oats (with eggs). I do a grain-free turkey meatloaf moistened/binded with mushrooms and carrots. I've let go of my favorite topping: Thai chile sauce, brown sugar. But never without any of it, and without my usual spices.

My son tonight: "Mom, you make the best meatloaf!"

Quick check in before I crawl back to bed. Photos on blogroll.

Food is compliant. Too much of fruits (in my head only I think) and odd hunger. I am a little bit paranoid and have a crazy talk in my head all the time. Wtf. Big cooking day today. Protein party. I wonder if I can make brisket in the oven? I have two steaks and freaking out, because I always screw them up :) Tips, anyone?

Skin is sort of better. I had to eat carnitas from chipotle yesterday and got a flare up and new breakouts by the evening. Sleep is a disaster. My tummy hurts every night. This is something new. I guess coconut milk is tolerated in a very kimited amout here. Can't think of any other triggers in my rather clean eating. But I am happy that my digestion is improving.

Trying to focus on happy stuff, do stuff that excites me (good times with friends playing and walking, going to the circus festival at the harborfront with M (happy realization that I am over this breakup and it's not weird to be around this circus boy anymore), taking care of my herbs and playing with kombucha).

Here's how I always make my steaks, and they come out perfect as long as I'm paying attention: preheat oven to 150 or 200. Sear on stove in cast iron pan, transfer to oven (or use reg pan and transfer--forget if you got cast iron pan) and cook till instant read therm reads 135 for MR. (I cook a little higher -138- because I like mine pink and not red in the middle.) If you don't have an instant read therm, the palm method works very well.

http://www.simplyrec...neness_of_meat/

If your steak is GF and/or thin you may not even need to transfer to the oven. But the low temp of the oven means the meat won't cook too quickly and get tough.

Here is Kenji's advice, but you prob already read it: http://mobile.seriou...red-steaks.html

I think the brisket will be fine in the oven.

Hi All,

I'm in the mood for brisket. I have never cooked it. Amy advice?

Started reintro this morning. Had the same breakfast as before but used ghee. Had a little bit of stomach upset an hour later. Not sure if its related. Will try it again for lunch.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I only made brisket once lately but I just put it in a big glass baker, fat side up, sprinkled liberally with coarse salt and pepper (optional, obvs) and covered tightly with foil and overnighted in a 250 degrees oven. Magnificent!

I use the nomnom paleo Korean BBQ Shortribs recipe (slow cooker), but sub in the brisket. AIP ok. I cook it overnight and wake up drooling. I've also done it how Moluv explained and it was also delicious.

Hello Team Inflamation.

I hate to come whining since I can't serve up cheese with it, but I need help please. I'm so exhausted and demoralized. I really want to quit. Prior to May 1st starting my Whole 30, I had been eating Primal for 4 months. I never ate flour products, some cream and Greek yogurt, occasional square of dark chocolate and 1 cup of coffee at 5:30 am. I felt good. Energy high. Walked a lot. Pretty happy and active. I did wake up occasionally with inflamed hands, particularly after taters. Eczema patch by my nose if I ate too much eggs, beef or oranges. My friends never noticed skin patch because it's very small. Maintaining over 100 pounds off for three years with mostly low carb and lots of walking.

I felt drawn to Whole30 to see if I could feel even better. So dug into the guidelines sans nightshades, beef, eggs, oranges. I felt pretty good the first two weeks. The last week let go of coffee and nuts and seeds, ghee too but I had only had it once. Now I feel like I can barely function. I've been exhausted since Wednesday. Gave up coconut Friday after that file reaction. I feel sluggish and totally unmotivated. Two flights of stairs seems like a challenge.

I'm on a ledge here. I'm ready to drink a cup of coffee tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Anything to feel better. I've never been depressed but if this is how it feels, oh golly!

Have any of you experienced or heard of anyone feeling this much worse before getting better? What have I gotten myself into?

Any advice appreciated. What would you do!

• Moderators

Hello Team Inflamation.

I hate to come whining since I can't serve up cheese with it, but I need help please. I'm so exhausted and demoralized. I really want to quit. Prior to May 1st starting my Whole 30, I had been eating Primal for 4 months. I never ate flour products, some cream and Greek yogurt, occasional square of dark chocolate and 1 cup of coffee at 5:30 am. I felt good. Energy high. Walked a lot. Pretty happy and active. I did wake up occasionally with inflamed hands, particularly after taters. Eczema patch by my nose if I ate too much eggs, beef or oranges. My friends never noticed skin patch because it's very small. Maintaining over 100 pounds off for three years with mostly low carb and lots of walking.

I felt drawn to Whole30 to see if I could feel even better. So dug into the guidelines sans nightshades, beef, eggs, oranges. I felt pretty good the first two weeks. The last week let go of coffee and nuts and seeds, ghee too but I had only had it once. Now I feel like I can barely function. I've been exhausted since Wednesday. Gave up coconut Friday after that file reaction. I feel sluggish and totally unmotivated. Two flights of stairs seems like a challenge.

I'm on a ledge here. I'm ready to drink a cup of coffee tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Anything to feel better. I've never been depressed but if this is how it feels, oh golly!

Have any of you experienced or heard of anyone feeling this much worse before getting better? What have I gotten myself into?

Any advice appreciated. What would you do!

I didn't really start feeling good until after 30 days, and I certainly felt all kinds of worse before I felt better. Still feel like I'm getting better all the time.

Quitting coffee isn't required of W30 or AIP technically (depending on whose protocol you're following). But coffee is a drug and a serious drain on the adrenals. If you want to not be addicted, then stay off it; your symptoms will get better once you're thoroughly through the detox.

But it's entirely up to you. There was no way I was going to not finish my 30 days. And now I'm realizing that I need more time than that. Not interested in giving up. You've read my log. I felt really lousy. I don't feel that way anymore. It's temporary. You'll feel so good about yourself if you stick it out.

Are you getting enough starchy carbs? More winter squash, sweet potatoes, plantains could seriously help with your energy.

Archived