After feeling another surge of energy today, I'm ready to hang in with AIP. I feel like it was a brutal transition from coffee and I'm finally feeling good. Even drank my first kombucha yesterday and today. Yum. I feel like now is the time for my body to have an easier time healing itself and I'd hate to undo this goodness.

The only thing I want to test is beef and that's not AIP. With everything else cleared out, I should get a pretty definitive answer about beef. I was blood tested over 20 years ago. Perhaps I'm no longer sensitive?

I'm craving liver after reading Nadia's blog. I can see that I'm going to need to roll up my sleeves and experiment with offal meat!

Dukunbayi, I hope your daughter got her license.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calee- just my two cents on beef reintro- my nutritionist mentioned sometimes people being sensitive to grains or soy in an animals diet- not just the animal. Testing on 100% verified grass finished beef, possibly even with just bone broth first, moving into organ meats with muscle protein lastly might keep you from experiencing a swift negative reaction.

What I ate today:

M1: small piece of cold pork shoulder, banana, peppermint ginger tea with raw honey

M2: pork reheated in skillet with the gelatinized drippings, chai tea with honey and cm

M3: 1 strawberry, lemon kombucha, 4 oz carrot juice

M4: 2 pieces cod baked with fresh parsley and oranges, 3/4 avo, 1 handful fresh mixed summer berries, water

What I did for myself today:

Took the kids to school and preschool and came home to an empty house, shirked housework and took 2 naps

Made sure to get the food items I needed even though I dreaded shopping

Ballet!

I processed a range of emotions today, my belly is sore (coffee yest, boo, stupid), I'm content

Calee- just my two cents on beef reintro- my nutritionist mentioned sometimes people being sensitive to grains or soy in an animals diet- not just the animal. Testing on 100% verified grass finished beef, possibly even with just bone broth first, moving into organ meats with muscle protein lastly might keep you from experiencing a swift negative reaction.

That's terrific advice. I'd really like to try. Bone broth sounds like a good start.

I'm sorry your belly is sore. Hope it's better in the morning.

Calee, you're going on a 20-year-old blood test?!?

Crazy right? After diagnosed I ate vegan for 9 years. Then low carb w beef. Then raw vegan for 3 years. Then back to low carb. I'm so inexperienced in food sensitivities. I've never thought about it that much until now. This journey hasn't been a straight line for me.

Ugh. I'm dragging. Sick. My face is breaking out, which is unusual unless it's a small pimple right before my period or I'm eating really poorly. Could be a new cream I'm using. Or the coconut oil cleanser? I think I need something a little more cleanser-y with the sunscreen I have to wear. I've used oil cleansers for years but my face felt more clean after.

Have a cold that's making me feel insatiably thirsty. And tired. Blaaaaah. Irritating bc the week after my period is usually my "good week" when I have energy and drive. Tired of thinking about food, feeding myself and my family and would prefer to be hooked up to a tube at the moment.

That is all.

Does leftover bok choy and half a jar of coconut butter sound like a good post-nightshift meal? Wait, what?! there's no protein in bok choy? What are you saying??!

Ugh. Spoons and jars should be kept far from one another.

7 hours later, after sleeping, I feel like I have cement in my tummy. Gross. And I have to be somewhere looking together and professional in just over an hour.

Learn from my mistakes, people. Someone's got to, I sure am not. :mellow:

Yes, my daughter got her license. Promptly had a near miss and almost mowed down 2 pedestrians (looking is not seeing!), then without a beat, asked, "can we get boba?" :huh:

I am with you. Having a guilt trip, but I have stupid hormones and liquid damned food to blame. I wasn't hungry and then shortly after lunch I was standing at the fridge (popped in home to grab a jacket during lunch) eating mini burgers with my left side teeth, avocado mush and melon/honedew. Gross eh? I wanted to put fruits in the freezer and found a pack of !frozen! coconut butter cubes. You guessed right? Sitting at the coffee shop with lemongrass tea and bottle of kombucha. I am done for today with food. Glue in my stomach. Bleeergrggh.

!frozen! coconut butter cubes.

!!! I am imagining ice trays of cocknut butter and fruit. Curses!

Ok folks, I got some raw organic almonds today for soaking. But I have decided to reintroduce eggs first. I wonder if I should first try yolks only, and graduate to the whole egg. Or am I over-thinking?

!!! I am imagining ice trays of cocknut butter and fruit. Curses!

Ok folks, I got some raw organic almonds today for soaking. But I have decided to reintroduce eggs first. I wonder if I should first try yolks only, and graduate to the whole egg. Or am I over-thinking?

I'm going to try yolks first. Someone over at Marks Daily did an experiment and where she reacted to whole eggs, she could eat buckets of yolks and feel fine. I hope that's my story too.

Even though I'm not doing AIP, I love reading this thread. You guys are having such meaningful conversations. I love it!

Calee - My son is allergic to eggs, but can eat the yolks just fine. Good idea.

Ugh you guys I need a spanking. I left for my long weekend trip a day earlier than I expected and just kinda bailed on this last day. By, gasp, eating paprika, but then gin. Eeeep! Sorry all- I learned a lot this past week and part of what I learned is sometimes I want to feel a little crappy in trade for carefree-ness (to an extent, I'm still 100% against grains).

I'm just going to eat whatever I want (eggs, bacon, coffee, cream) this weekend and suffer the consqs.

These little dalliances into less than ideal self care are fewer and further between though and that tells me a lot. Old me would have gotten a worked up that I wasn't doing it JUST PERF, which, oh, talk about a downward spiral. Now, I know that a little bloating and tummy ache don't make me any less loved/love able (by myself or others) and I can just roll with the good times around me. I know I'm taking care of me FOR THE MOST PART and an occasional late night or exposure to an irritant isn't going to ruin me. It's only a setback if I make it one.

I'm rambling! Does this even make sense? Am I drunk?! Sorry I didn't follow the rules exactly y'all, but know I am fully invested in this learning process.

Now, my little vacation awaits!

• Moderators

I TOTALLY get your need for carefree-ness. I'm right there with you.

It seems the key to offroading is to give ourselves permission to do so, so that it is carefree--and then to rein in it quickly before it gets out of hand. I haven't tried yet myself, but this is what I gather from keenly observing others do it successfully.

"It's only a setback if I make it one." Yes. I like that.

• Moderators

BTW, congrats to all of us on our little experiment! It's been a fun ride together. Would have sucked way worse if I hadn't had you to get me through.

Really looking forward to my eggs, bacon, sweet potato hash and avocado tomorrow. Will, as I've said, continue to stay away from nightshades, nuts and seeds, and overdoing coconut flesh (though a splash of milk here or there I'll allow).

I'm a little sad it's over. I liked having the group. :*(

M, don't feel bad. I had wine the other night. I haven't written it up yet. But I drank wine at a book signing for my favorite (living) photographer. In my old life I would've stopped at a bar before and had a whiskey or, since it was hot, a Mount Gay + tonic--my summer bar drink--to fortify myself. And another after, just bc I was out and the breeze was nice.

I realized a lot of things on that lovely summer Manhattan evening, moon overhead. But I need to get on my computer to write it out.

Suffice it to say, I decided I wanted a glass of crappy, free Pinot Grigio at the gallery. I came home and ate my compliant meal and carried on. With a signed copy of Rinko Kawauchi's new book. Boo ya!

For me the real fear is undoing whatever progress I've made with my psoriasis. Otherwise do what you gotta do! I agree that the absolute line in the sand is grains. (Though I have had a non-Gmo corn chip between w30 and AIP-ita.)

I'm drinking a lovely glass of dry rosé and enjoying the heck out of it. I will keep away from nightshades for now. I'd like to introduce seed spices and egg yolks, separately of course, to see what happens. But I plan to drink again at a BBQ on Sunday. So no intros till later next week. No affects from the ghee in the pâté last night. :D

I'd love to keep the group while you are reintroducing...

Me three. I am only on Day 24 of my Whole30. I have felt so supported here. I am starting to regain my energy, without the coffee. I feel like my healing is going strong and I want to nurture it. What I do want to add is beef which is AIP and W30 compliant. I find that I am able to eat well. Tomorrow morning is a trip to the butcher for Lamb, chicken livers and whatever else looks yummy. I can do this.

Archived