Blacked Out!

Hi!

I'm not on a Whole30 presently, but I still follow the guidelines ~90% of the time and know you all will be helpful with my predicament!

I've always had low blood pressure/ low blood sugar and have found sometimes when doing yoga or intense workouts I've had to sit down because of intense light-headiness but I've never actually blacked out before and since my whole30 and beyond I've been feeling this a lot less.

I'm a doula for birthing moms and last night at about 2:30 I suddenly started getting that familiar dizziness feeling and before I knew it everything went black and I ended up on the floor of the delivery room! (I know, worst doula ever, right!?)

After about 20 minutes of sitting down and sipping water I was completely back to normal but it was still very upsetting and something I would definitely not like to repeat while I'm with a client.

I'm wondering if this is purely a diet/hydration thing or if it might be something more serious. Around a month ago I also almost passed out while just taking a bus to school but managed to sit down before things got too bad.

For breakfast I had eggs and vegetables with bacon and I had a really big early dinner/lunch of chicken curry with coconut milk, mango chutney, spinach, and onion. I didn't drink any less water than usual, but still a pathetic amount compared to what I should be drinking.

I felt abnormally exhausted yesterday morning, but don't know if that is connected to what happened later on.

Basically when it happens I feel 100% healthy until suddenly I don't, and then it gets really bad for a very short amount of time.

Do you think this is purely a diet/hydration thing or should I be worried?

(I should also note that this was NOT an intensive birth-- everything went perfectly and I don't believe this had anything to do with me reacting to the excitement of baby delivering!)

• Moderators

It sounds like you need to do two things. One is to drink the amount of water per day that you should be drinking (1/2 to 1 ounce per pound of body weight). Quit explaining that you don't drink enough and start drinking several liters per day. And the second thing is to see a doctor and get a physical to rule out something dangerous.

Absolutely yes to what Tom said.

And as an addition, I have found that having a bag of almonds in my purse, so that I can eat half a dozen when I need to, really helps me. It used to be cheese, but I'm on the W30, so almonds are my back-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I went to the doctor who told me basically that my guess was as good as his, and sent me for blood work which I haven't heard back from for two weeks.

Terresa, do you have similar problems with dizzy/fainting spells?

It's really frustrating not knowing what's causing it/ how to get to the underlying problem/ knowing if I'm helping it or not.

My water intake is up to par now, and I've added in a lot of leafy greens but I don't feel any better or worse--- just have to wait to see if it happens again or not :(

Yes, I've had whatever it is for years, although it's been awhile since I actually passed out. Now, if I don't pay attention and see the warning signs, I'll have what I call a "brown out", like when the electricity suddenly has a big drop, but doesn't actually go out. If I remember to blink, even though my vision's gone gray, and to breathe out, I don't actually faint. If I notice the dizzies starting though, I pop a few almonds, and then figure out just how long it's been since I last ate, or if I'm doing too much and really just need to sit and rest. We've never actually figured out what the issue is.

• 2 weeks later...

Throughout my W30 I complained of lightheadedness, weakness and overall lethargy.  My take away was that I was eating way too low-carb...my body needs more than just some yams or plantains in a day.  Once I upped the amount of starchy carbs in my day (more carrots, beets, etc at every meal) and allowed myself a banana a day, I started to feel much better.

At the end of my W30 my biggest realization is that I can't live without ANY grains.  My body won't function properly without at least some brown rice or whole grain bread.

I have had low BP for my entire adult life (normal for me is 90/60).   I also have a low resting heart rate; probably from years of cardio (can go as low as 44 when in bed and still).  Those two combined don't leave much room for the numbers to go down before big symptoms appear.    I've occasionally had bouts of dizziness upon standing, but have never blacked out.

Flash forward to age 45:  Suddenly I had periods of hours and days where I felt very woozy, dizzy, 'out of body' and shocky.  I chalk it up to hormones and perimenopause.  I don't know how old you are or where you stand in that life phase...

One of the time I felt badly, I was actually at the MD for another reason.  My BP read as 85/50!  No wonder I was feeling gross.

I also think I can have problems when I have a virus, no matter if I am really ill or not.

Salt helps me!  I've felt good Whole30 which is a plus.

I'm just tossing out my experience.  I really don't have answers for you!

What was your BP at the doctor?  Has your MD talked about doing a tilt table test to see how your cardiovascular system responds to changes in position?  My MD didn't feel it was necessary since I have never blacked out or felt like I was going to do so despite the low numbers.  Not a good thing to black out!  

• 6 months later...

I am 43. I'm on day 16 and I've been noticing periodically over the last week a bit of lightheadedness. In terms of food, I feel satisfied, yesterday, we had scrambled eggs, smoked salmon with capers, white onion and aioli, with cantaloupe. Swam 3,600 yds, felt incredible while doing it. Drank a berry, apple juice, whey smoothie afterwards. For lunch, chicken breast with cabbage. For dinner, 3 crab cakes (based on the salmon cake recipe in the whole30 book), tarter sauce, green beans, approx. 8 oz of martinelli's apple cider to ring in the new year with. This morning when I got up to eat breakfast, I was lightheaded. I know we aren't being perfect with the Whole30 by having the whey smoothies, that was advice from Paleo for Athletes. also, the apple cider, but again, special occasion, New Year's Eve. Didn't indulge in alcohol, which would have been more normal Eve.

Hi!

I'm not on a Whole30 presently, but I still follow the guidelines ~90% of the time and know you all will be helpful with my predicament!

I've always had low blood pressure/ low blood sugar and have found sometimes when doing yoga or intense workouts I've had to sit down because of intense light-headiness but I've never actually blacked out before and since my whole30 and beyond I've been feeling this a lot less.

I'm a doula for birthing moms and last night at about 2:30 I suddenly started getting that familiar dizziness feeling and before I knew it everything went black and I ended up on the floor of the delivery room! (I know, worst doula ever, right!?)

After about 20 minutes of sitting down and sipping water I was completely back to normal but it was still very upsetting and something I would definitely not like to repeat while I'm with a client.

I'm wondering if this is purely a diet/hydration thing or if it might be something more serious. Around a month ago I also almost passed out while just taking a bus to school but managed to sit down before things got too bad.

For breakfast I had eggs and vegetables with bacon and I had a really big early dinner/lunch of chicken curry with coconut milk, mango chutney, spinach, and onion. I didn't drink any less water than usual, but still a pathetic amount compared to what I should be drinking.

I felt abnormally exhausted yesterday morning, but don't know if that is connected to what happened later on.

Basically when it happens I feel 100% healthy until suddenly I don't, and then it gets really bad for a very short amount of time.

Do you think this is purely a diet/hydration thing or should I be worried?

(I should also note that this was NOT an intensive birth-- everything went perfectly and I don't believe this had anything to do with me reacting to the excitement of baby delivering!)

Ever had a tilt table test?  That is what my MD would recommend had I actually blacked out from my dizziness episodes.  

I too have chronic low BP. I was at the dentist a few weeks ago and it was 80 over 47! I had given blood the week before (and managed not to pass out!!!) so maybe that was why.

It could be thyroid issues, that can cause or make low BP worse. I usually only get dizzy if I stand up too fast. I also started having issues with vertigo a few years ago, but that makes me dizzy and nauseous, but I don't pass out. Lots of fun!!!

I too have chronic low BP. I was at the dentist a few weeks ago and it was 80 over 47! I had given blood the week before (and managed not to pass out!!!) so maybe that was why.

It could be thyroid issues, that can cause or make low BP worse. I usually only get dizzy if I stand up too fast. I also started having issues with vertigo a few years ago, but that makes me dizzy and nauseous, but I don't pass out. Lots of fun!!!

Can I ask why you had your BP checked at the dentist?

I have had low BP for my entire adult life and am conditioned from years of cardio which makes my resting heart rate also quite low (42-55 bpm depending on time of day).  Only when I hit perimenopause did I have any symptoms.  Since our BP is low to begin with, it doesn't take much to elicit symptoms.  I am sure hormones play a big role.  Thyroid, also.

I just happened to be at my OB when I was feeling funky and my BP was just about where yours was at the dentist.  It is so unsettling!

Does drinking caffeine help you?  I was going to try real licorice, too.  Salt helps.    I can't even imagine giving blood!  Do they check BP before donating?

Make sure your doctor checks you for low BP! It could be blood sugar, but also blood pressure (like a kink in a garden hose - suddenly, no pressure!). Some people have lower pressure than others and need to manage it.

While a delivery is not an optimal time, driving a car or other dangerous moment could be much much worse, make sure you get it checked out.

My BP tends towards the low side, which wasn't a problem until I briefly contracted a virus which lowered my blood pressure (most other people just felt a bit dizzy). I blacked out while going down the stairs! Luckily was not hurt much, but it could have been very bad (brick wall at the bottom of the stairs).

I also often don't get enough salt in my diet (especially without all the processed garbage). If you need to take more for your BP (or anything else), you can get salt tablets or use a few high salt items like Franks Hot Sauce. Check any big changes with your doctor.

Not enough water may leave you dehydrated and that does impact your blood pressure.

Make sure your doctor checks you for low BP! It could be blood sugar, but also blood pressure (like a kink in a garden hose - suddenly, no pressure!). Some people have lower pressure than others and need to manage it.

While a delivery is not an optimal time, driving a car or other dangerous moment could be much much worse, make sure you get it checked out.

My BP tends towards the low side, which wasn't a problem until I briefly contracted a virus which lowered my blood pressure (most other people just felt a bit dizzy). I blacked out while going down the stairs! Luckily was not hurt much, but it could have been very bad (brick wall at the bottom of the stairs).

I also often don't get enough salt in my diet (especially without all the processed garbage). If you need to take more for your BP (or anything else), you can get salt tablets or use a few high salt items like Franks Hot Sauce. Check any big changes with your doctor.

Not enough water may leave you dehydrated and that does impact your blood pressure.

Ugh!  Catching a virus seems to tank my BP.  Glad to hear someone else say that.  It doesn't take much to go from OK to not OK when you have low BP already.  

I think I might measure out my himilayan sea salt in a dish at the start of the day to make sure I am getting enough.  Hard to pay attention when you are just using the grinder.  It would be interesting to see how much I use.  I don't eat much, if any, processed food so I'm sure my salt intake (like many Primal or Whole30 people) is less than optimal.

Archived