W30 and Parkinson's

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with how a Whole 30 (or Paleo) diet interacts with Parkinson's disease? My dad has Parkinson's, and also has terrible eating habits. My husband and I have completed a couple Whole30's and I've talked about it a little with him, but he sees it as a hippie thing that he could never do, and would never want to do (he's old school, good ol' southern boy). They are coming to visit next week, so I'm going to give him a copy of ISWF but I feel like if I was armed with some success stories relevant to him he might actually read it. Anybody got anything?

• 1 year later...

I realize this post is older, but I thought I would respond just in case it is of any benefit to you or others.

My husband has had Parkinson's for the past 10 years and we are currently on the Whole 30. Parkinson's is unique for everyone, so it is important to consider individual needs and work with medical professionals especially if taking Parkinson's medications. Higher protein diets can sometimes interfere with medication, so each person needs to explore options such as timing of meals and meds, adjustments to diet, etc.

For my husband, he had DBS several years ago and is currently not on any medications. For that reason, we are completing the Whole 30 as described in the program. We are half way through with the most notable Parkinson's system change for him being improved swallowing while eating and less aching in his shoulder. We aren't expecting miracles, but even some symptomatic relief is worth it. Especially if we can delay progression and the need for medication.

All the best to you.

Archived