Doing a Whole45...anyone want to join?

tgipaleo

Hi there!  I will join you!  I am starting today, Aug. 26.  I did a Whole 60 and then "reintroduced" grains, dairy and then the dreaded Sugar dragon raised it's ugly head for 2 weeks.  Now I must be inflamed inside because I'm hot, especially at night, and I am not fitting in to my clothes very well.  I am ready to eliminate the junk and go strong again, this time with more support and continued lifetime dedication.  Looking to buddy up with someone.

I'm starting a Whole 35 today so we'll be finishing up close to the same time.  I've had more than a few attempts at this without ever making it to the end.  I'm ready for change and I'm going to do it this time.

Hope you have an excellent Day 4.

Allright ladies!  Let's do this!  

TGI,  YAY for you!!  Keep up the good eats!  What is your favorite meal so far?

Heather, I know you CAN do this.  This time I am going for SUPPORT, because in the past, I just did it and didn't tell anyone about it.  Not that it was a secret, but I just didn't want to make a big deal out of it.  Well, I did fine until I was weak, and then didn't have a person to reach out to for encouragement.  This time I'm using the Whole 30 program where they send a daily email and there is A TON of helpful info in as well as encouragement, and practical info like where to go for more recipes,etc.  I also posted what I am doing on Facebook so I will be accountable in a public way too.

I look foward to being part of this joint effort.  :)

Greeninpace, I need the Support as well and I know I can do it, we all can, it's just a matter of deciding that we aren't going to slip and staying focused.  It's only 30 days.

I've joined the FB group and am getting the daily emails too.

Yesterday was official Day 1 for me.  It was a successful day overall.  I had a very stressful day at work but I navigated around the typical landmines that would generally cause me to go off program and even learned a thing or two.

I'm feeling less bloated and I'm tempted to get on the scale but I won't :)   

I'm on vacation the rest of this week so I'll be off my routine a bit but at least I'll be avoiding workplace stress.  I'll be camping over the week-end where my friends will be eating and drinking lots of stuff that I've decided not to as part of this challenge but I've been down this road many times and I know how to get past that.  I'll pack lots of compliant foods and drinks and stay away from alcohol.  I sure sound strong at this point...I know this will be shakier as we get closer to the trip but I can do it and I will.

WTG Heather! That's shows strength & wisdom that even in the face of stress obstacles, you OVERCAME! Did you weigh and do measurements before you started?  I keep my scale put up in the garage so I won't be tempted to use it.  It has not been my friend in the past so I'm glad to have it out of my sight.  Will look forward to seeing what it says after 30 days and then again in 60.    You can definitely do the vacation successfully!  I have a friend who was competing in a bikini ladie's figure contest so she trained for 8 wks prior and had a rigid eating plan and when she went on fam vacation she took her cooler of clean eats and stuck to it.  I know we ladies can do this, just think of the benefits  ;)

Yes, greeninpace, I did weigh and take measurements and pics prior to starting.  I truly believe that I'm going to see some big results on many levels and I know that the pics will actually help me see the physical results if I stumble on the number on the scale not changing enough for me.  I donated my scale during one previous attempt but purchased one subsequent to that.  Obviously, I have issues with the scale too.  

Had a solid and long sleep last night but woke up tired this morning, I'm going to have a challenge dragging my butt to bootcamp.  In fact, it doesn't appeal to me at all.  I'm thinking of doing something a bit more mellow like a long walk or yoga.  This always happens to me during the first week or so of Whole 30.  Trying not to beat myself up too much for not hitting the gym on my planned workouts, I know this will pass and I'll be kicking butt after day 10 or so.

Yesterday I roasted a chicken in the oven with simple salt and pepper - so good!  Yum!  Today I'll make chicken soup to pack in mason jars for camping lunches.  The rest of the meals will be meat on the grill with salads.  I'm preparing emergency snacks too in case I'm tempted by the multitude of chips and junk that I'm sure to be watching my friends consume.  Mushroom Chips (from NomNom Paleo), Kale Chips, and compliant trail mix for the longer hikes.  Funny how excited I am to make these foods, I don't see it as a chore at all, more like an experiment :)

Hope you all have an excellent day (Day 3 for me).  This will be my last post until I return from camping on Sunday since we don't have internet up in the mountains.  Hope everyone has a successful week-end.

Day 4 for me, feeling pretty good compared to what Melissa says some feel at this point with crankiness or tiredness.  I just felt a bit fatigued yesterday and still a bit this morning.  I think it's my body's reaction to not using sugar for fuel anymore...hope it's turning to the FAT to gobble up now.  :)

Heather,  I think you're on to something by not pushing yourself too hard this week.  Like you said, after an adjustment period, your body will be better equipped to go full throttle.  I usually do a HIIT bike ride 3 times/week and then lift weights 1/week, but I haven't felt up to doing the weights yet this week.  Maybe tomorrow.So many people I know are going on hiking trips!  I want to go too!  Last Saturday, the fam and I went Zip-Lining, that was really fun and I loved being out in the woods which I don't get to do nearly as often as i would like...must make it a priority! :D   I am so proud of you for making all of those nutritious foods to take with you!  WTG!

I'm Back!  And, I'm on Day 1.  As prepared as I was I just wasn't equipped to handle the temptation of drinks around the firepit with friends and family.  I'm not going to be too hard on myself.  It is what it is.  I'm just getting right back on track now that I'm home.  September is a great month for me to focus on my Whole 30 with no further camping trips.  It feels like a time of renewal with the kids going back to school and all.

I have 89 days left before I turn 40 and I intend to make the best of them and be the healthiest I ever have been when I reach that milestone birthday.

I have also found a Counselor to help with some of these issues that I have around old habits that I really want to change.  I'm hoping a weekly visit while I'm on Whole 30 will help with reinforcement.  I know that once I get through 30 days I will feel amazing.

So...starting all over again today but very hopeful of what September holds.  I started my morning with a black coffee and I'll be hitting the trails running in a few minutes.  The rest of my day will be centered around planning compliant meals for the week.

Heather, Good Attitude!!!  Sounds like you've made peace and are in a good place mentally to begin that renewal process.  Especially having a counselor will be helpful, it will probably help with accountability as well as working through the habit issues.  I've thought of doing that before, but just haven't.  I've also considered hypnosis, but haven't gone that route either.  Yes, you will feel amazing, and we all WILL! 

Day 8 for me, feeling good and definitely less "swollen".  My face looks much less puffy and bra is fitting a bit better.  I made some salsa and deviled eggs today - all compliant.  Looking forward to salmon burgers for dinner with salad and some other veggies.

Greeninpace, it will be great to be right behind you.  Sounds like you are making excellent progress.  

Starting the day today with a black coffee and then out for a run.  My goal this week, in addition to staying on plan, is to eliminate TV during the week.  My kids are back to school so there's no better time for it than now.  I'm going to try to squeeze in a second workout this afternoon.

Planned meals today -

BF- Tuna Salad (made with avocado) over greens

Lunch - Vietnamese Beef Stew over greens

Dinner - Chicken Leg with Green Beans and side salad

Planned Workouts - #1 - Run, #2 - Yoga 

Heather, I too have been working on a similar goal about TV.  I like to watch TV while I have breakfast and lunch and I've been trying not to do that and instead sit out on the front porch to enjoy my meal and the fresh air.   Haven't been 100%, but I'm working on it.

Yesterday I did my eccentric exercises (one-leg squats, one-arm shoulder press, push-ups and reverse crunches) - today my quads are very sore!...but that means I did it right, now I just need to take time to stretch.  Today I started mowing the yard at 7am before it got hot and was done by 9.  YAY - good feeling to get real sweaty and to see the finished product - a pretty yard  :)

Eats are good.  Bfast today was real yummy - leftover onion and cilantro sauteed and then 3 eggs on top - in a cast iron skillet that I just recently dug out and re-seasoned and now I'm using it every day - much better than teflon because I don't have to worry about the chemicals.

Good nite!

Sounds like a very yummy breakfast.  I've been meaning to get a cast iron skillet.  It's so nice to be able to get out doors, I often make excuses not to but in the end it always makes me feel better...especially with the smell of fresh cut grass in the air.

As for the TV, I haven't done great with eliminating it at night this week but I'm trying to take this one step at a time and focus on the positives.  I have had intense physical activity every day this week so far and that's something worth celebrating because I've been having a hard job making time for myself and I've let my fitness go considerably.  I love being active and I need to continue making it a priority. I'm sore today too and it feels great :)  

The week-end is here and this is where I'm most challenged.  No camping this week-end so that's one hurdle less to overcome.  Normally I look forward to wine and sushi on a Friday night.  Tonight I'm looking forward to hanging with the family and watching The Littlest Mermaid to help my daughter select a part to try out for in her High School musical.  I'm going to get some Kombucha to sip and we're going to have a yummy spicy chicken salad for dinner.  The rest of the week-end holds lots of activity and my first visit ever with a counselor in an attempt to help reinforce my goals as part of this Whole 30 which include dealing with breaking some very strong habits.  It can't hurt, I'm taking every step I can to be successful this time.

Hope you have an excellent week-end.  At the other end of it I'll be on Day 8, you'll be halfway to the end :)

I too LOVE the smell of fresh-cut grass!  To me, it is similar to fresh cut watermelon  :)

WTG on being physical!  I also struggle with making time for it, even though I know I need it and for the most part I enjoy it.  I love listening to health/nutrition podcasts while doing a HIIT bike ride.

Wine and sushi for you is like my Friday pizza and movie night.  The rest of the fam eats it, but I plan something yummy that I look forward to.  Your Kombucha and spicy chicken salad sounds very tasty :D .  Every-other Friday when I do our large grocery shopping trip, I get home with all these different vegetables and I'm so excited to cook them up.  The only problem sometimes is: Timing!  If I get detoured and leave home too late, then I don't get back until past my typical lunch time and I'm starving.  Like today that happened, so after I got the cold stuff put away, I quickly put a pre-packaged baby kale blend salad in a bowl, added some home-made vinaigrette and opened a can of Mackerel.  There was lunch - in a jiffy!  However, because I was so delayed in eating, I felt like having more so I ate a mineola and some freshly rinsed grapes which I didn't need, but I gave in because they were right there and looked so fresh.  Then I felt like I needed something satiating, so I had a portion of cashews/almond mix.  I don't like it when I do this, because for the most part, I eat very little fruit and nuts, but at least I didn't eat anything off-plan.

I'm sure your counseling appt will be helpful.  Thank you for pointing out that I'll be half-way through the "30" on Monday, I hadn't thought of that, but it's great to think of the progress time-line. ;)   Hope you have a great weekend and come out stronger on the other end! :D

I love baby Kale.  Costco sells it here now in bags and it's so easy to use that way.  Yum!

I have the exact same issues as what you have with grocery shopping, except for me it's almost every night.  I am so hungry by the time I get home for dinner that I overeat by having fruit and nuts at the end of my meal.  I haven't really made this a point of focus during the first week because I know my body is going through a lot right now and ultimately a bit of fruit and a handful of nuts is a heck of a lot better than what I was eating before.  Also, I wake up very hungry so I don't think I'm eating that much past what I should be, I just don't like the desert-like habit.  

I've been so hungry this week.  I have to find a better way to fuel my workouts and figure out a way to not get so hungry between lunch and dinner.  I think the answer is a  bigger lunch but I'm already pretty full after lunch.  I'm hoping my body is just adjusting and toward the end of next week I won't feel as hungry all of the time.

I had an excellent Friday night.  There were a couple of moments where I was enticed by what the kids were eating or what my friends were drinking but it passed and I am so much stronger for it today.  I feel great!  Tonight should be a breeze.  BBQ steak at home, no wine :), more Kombucha.  I bought a butternut squash and I'm going to roast it with olive oil and cinnamon.  I haven't done that before but it sounds good.

Headed out for a nice long hike in the rain this morning.  Hope you have an excellent day.  

You're right - fruit & nuts are a lot better than other things, we do have to keep it in perspective.  What time of day do you work-out?  Isn't that a wonderful feeling when you overcome that temptation and conquer that unhealthy desire?  I did the same...the leftover pizza crust that my family left on their plates was tempting for me take a bite, but I quickly tossed it in the trash can instead!  WOOHOO!  Eventually I'll get to the point that it won't even interest me...it's a mindset that still needs more cementing.   MMM...butternut squash sounds heavenly!  I roasted some beets w/olive oil and s&p and balsamic vinegar.  To me, those are good warm or cold.

Had a good weekend with the family - karate testing for Red belt - he passed!  Church and family time today  :) Pork chops, sautee'd cabbage and beets for dinner, turned out pretty tasty.  Now on to the new week!  Let's rock it!

I workout early am normally.  I'm looking at changing that up a bit because I don't like the sedentary evenings that I have adopted.  My friend has invited me to join roller derby which I'm seriously considering.  I'm also trying to incorporate at least a walk after dinner.  

Yes, it is wonderful to have overcome the habit and ritual of junk on the week-ends.  It still will call but I've noticed the call is quieter and it doesn't last as long.  I felt great yesterday.  I'd have to say it might have been the best Monday I've ever had.  My long run on Sunday was excellent too.  I added 5km to my distance and I think I could have kept going but I didn't want to risk injury.  I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in a few weeks.

I love beets!  Thanks for reminding me about them,I'll be getting some this week-end :)

Day 9 for me today and I'm holding strong.  It does seem to get easier as you go just because you have more to loose by slipping.  By the time Friday comes I'll have 12 days behind me and I won't want to throw that away.

How's it going in Florida?

Oh my goodness...ADDING 5K!!!!,  I'm happy if I can RUN a continuous 5K ~ HA!  How long have you been a runner?  I'm actually excited about a 5K event this Saturday that I'll be doing with my 11 yr. old son (his first).  Though I used to run regularly, I haven't in many months and instead adopted biking.  He's not a runner either but he did clock a 9 minute mile last year in school (which is the fastest I've ever done, myself) , so we'll see how it goes.  It will mostly be for the joy of doing it together.  Do you participate in 5K events?

I know what you mean about getting invested in the time & effort so far.  When I look at where I am, roughly 2 weeks in, and then think about what I could be like in 2 more weeks...that keeps me going!  I definitely don't want to throw this goodness away just for devilish pleasure  :P

Yesterday for dinner I made Comfort Noodles http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/, a Whole 30 approved recipe using zucchini as noodles.  However I made it w/o the topping so it wasn't a psychological trigger and it worked.  It was tasty and easy, I'd have it again.

Weather here is nice (as you probably expect FL to be), the highs are in the low 90's.  We had regular rain throughout the summer so i didn't have to worry about watering the grass, but now we haven't had rain in 2 weeks and it's starting to get dried out...I really don't like to spend time moving sprinklers around the yard, so I'm praying for rain  ;)   What's it like in BC, Canada?

I've been meaning to try the zucchini noodles...maybe this week-end.  It's in season locally now so it's everywhere and cheap.  

I started running about 10 years ago.  My 11 yr old son and I did a 10K together last fall, it was a great experience.  I mostly do 1/2 Marathons and sometimes a 10K, haven't done a 5K for a while but it's an excellent way to get started.  I'm not very fast which is why I like longer distance ... some people start fast and get tuckered out and I keep going at my own pace and catch up with them :)

I lived in Florida for 6 years.  My Dad and his wife still live there.  We always go there for spring break.  This year we have a place booked on Clearwater beach.  I'm really looking forward to it.  BC is much like Seattle.  I live right on the US border so we spend alot of time shopping and camping in the states.  It's a beautiful fall here this year and it was a beautiful summer, I'm expecting the long raining winter to kick in any day now.  I have an in ground sprinkler system that I've never turned on :)  

Yesterday I did much better balancing out my meals.  I've been feeling really hungry in between meals so I tried eating a bit more for breakfast and lunch and it worked.  I wasn't starving when I got home from work and I ate a smaller portion for dinner.  I think my body is starting to get the hang of this now.  I did a killer bootcamp workout yesterday and I'm not nearly as sore as I expected.  My skin is clearing a bit too, I sure hope that continues.

Day 10 for me today (double-digits yah!!!).  I'm off to Spin class this morning followed by a long day at work, parent teacher meetings in the evening, and a yoga class at 8pm.  I will sleep good tonight for sure!  Nothing fancy planned in terms of meals, during the week I find my creativity is limited.  I look forward to cooking on the week-end so that I can try new things.  I'm going to do more prep this week-end for next week so that I have more variety and don't find myself in a rut.

I am feeling excellent overall...a huge improvement over 11 days ago.

Hope you have a great day!

So we both have sons the same age - 11  :) ,   It's a fun age, he's old enough to understand so much and have interesting conversations.  I have another son - age 22, that's all for me.  Do you have other children?  I'm married for 27 years now...my husband isn't into the running outside thing - although he used to run at the gym until he developed Plantar Fasciaitis in his foot.  He goes to the gym every day except Sundays and rows and does weights.  I do HIIT Biking and weights and body weight exercises at home, though I do like to join a Spin class or Boot camp every once in a while.

Did you live in Clearwater when you lived in FL?  I've heard of the rainy winters in the NW.  In fact, my parents moved to Colorado this year and they've been told to expect the Winter to be the rainy season.  Have the trees started to change color yet?  I grew up in Michigan and really miss seeing the change of color, since there is none here (trees just lose their leaves or they don't).

Eats have been good, almost without effort, the hardest part is keeping a supply of animal proteins prepared or thawed out.  Tonight I'm making a Spicy Kale salad with chicken breast, while the rest of the family eats pizza, but I'm honestly not envious.  I've figured out that if I make it flavorful, it is very satisfying and I don't even desire anything that is "off-plan".   By golly, I think I'm getting the hang of this! :D   Enjoy your weekend cooking,,,I'm sure it will be worth it! :)

I have a 15 year old daughter as well.  They're lots of fun.  My son is much like myself while my daughter is more like my husband.  I've been married almost 17 years (hard to believe).  My husband is a gym rat.  He goes to the exact same classes (Bootcamp,Spin) every weekday.  I prefer to be outdoors but it's fun to go to the classes every now and then.  I get bored if I do the same routine for longer than 3 months, have to change it up regularly.

I lived in Pinellas Park (in between St Petersburg and Clearwater) for a few years and in Lutz (North of Tampa) for a few years.  My son was born in Clearwater, he calls it his hometown and wants to go back for a visit so that's why I booked Clearwater beach this year.  My Dad lives in Temple Terrace (near Tampa).

Last night when I picked up take out for the family the smell of their french fries got to me just a little but I never seriously contemplated eating them.  It was a pretty good night.  I didn't feel the need for any alcohol, just enjoyed a spicy chicken salad and kombucha.  As you say, it's getting easier as I go.

This morning I'm enjoying my coffee seasoned with coconut milk, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice.  It's not too bad.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back at Starbucks and I'm trying to ward off cravings :)  

This will be the last nice day for a while so I think we're going to head to the lake for some swimming and kayaking.  We have long Falls so the leaves haven't really started changing yet but they will soon, it's getting chilly at night.  Tomorrow is my long run day (1/2 marathon in 2 weeks) so I'll be hitting the pavement for a 17km run in the morning followed by shopping and cooking. I found a farmer with a 1/4 side of grass fed beef available this week so I'll be picking that up.  He also has some organ meats which will be interesting to try.  I've heard great things about heart.  I'm thinking I'll get it ground and use it like hamburger in a meatloaf so that the kids are fooled ;) 

Hope you have an excellent week-end

Very eventful weekend, so happy to see your post.  Well, the 5K turned out to be a fun experience for the two of us.  He gets a pain in his side every time he runs, so we ran/walked and came in at 47 minutes.  It was a very enjoyable path on USA (Univ S. Alabama) campus with hills and trees and ponds, and the weather was a little coudy and breezy so we couldn't have asked for a nicer day.  In fact when we got back I washed the cars too, since it was so pleasant outside.  He said he would consider doing another 5K next year  :)

On the 1hr 15 minute drive there, I ate my bfast (chicken breast mixed up with sweet potato, plus bell peppers, I forgot the fat).  In the past, I would not have thought of that as breakfast, but now it is perfectly natural  ;) YAY!  Definite progress!  Most mornings I have sautee'd veggies wilted spinach or kale and  3 eggs in coconut oil.  Sometimes I want a green smoothie with whey protein but I'm staying away from the whey until I complete the Whole 60, then may reintroduce.

Interesting to hear about your family.  I've never been to Clearwater, but I actually had a co-worker in Michigan that became a very good friend and she was from there.  I like living here in the panhandle of FL, it is hot and humid in the summer, but I don't mind it.  I prefer it to COLD and DRY climates.

Isn't that cool that you didn't need alcohol to feel satsified - just the kombucha?

Last week I was able to purchase grass-fed and finished beef from a local farmer, who even delivered it to me!!! I got 10 lb. of ground for $7/lb. and a huge bag of bones for making stock.  My freezer supply is replenished!

I read this and wanted to share:

• It takes, on average, 66 days to form a habit.
  • It can take up to 8 months for a complicated habit to take hold.
  • Most habits run through three checkpoints—30, 90, and 365 days—before they become truly automatic.
  • Missing a day or two here or there does not reduce the chance of forming a habit.
  • The first few days of your new habit are the most important to be diligent about

Also, that at 30 days, when you think you've mastered the cravings, they rear their ugly head, but as long as we're prepared and know ahead, we can slay it!  ;)

Hope you had a good weekend!

Excellent job on the 5k!  It's so great when they find enjoyment  in healthy activities that you enjoy as well.  I'm finding the meals are coming more naturally now as well.  And, yes, it's great to not have strong cravings for alcohol.  Saturday night we had some company and they were pouring wine and beer generously.  I had a little tinge of a craving but it was definitely manageable.  

Yesterday, at work, there was a catered lunch and I brought my own because I knew it would be sandwiches and cookies.  The CEO asked if what I had was better and I simply answered yes.  I looked at the cookies (previously wouldn't have been able to say No) and I watched my dieting friend scoff one down and thought to myself Thank-you Whole 30, I wasn't even tempted.

I can't wait to pick up my cow :)  I'm going to make a beet and bone stock soup this week-end.  It's great to have a full freezer, especially if the farmer delivered it -awesome!

Thanks for the notes on habit.  I am finding the cravings are much more infrequent and when they come the leave quickly.  This makes them much more manageable.  I'm sure they will still be there at 30 days.  I've worked much longer than 66 days to establish those bad habits so they are well ingrained :)  

I've been dealing with major bloat and discomfort since last week.  I started taking digestive enzymes and probiotics and that seems to have helped a little but I'm still not 100%.  I'm starting to think that I may need to give my body more time than 30 days.  I know that this is part of the healing process and I have to be patient with my body while it adjusts.  You're doing Whole 60?

I can hear the angels singing...major victory over free, in-your-face food that you avoided - without difficulty!!!!  WTG! :D

I also started taking digestive enzymes when I started the Whole 30 because i was worried that I wasn't properly digesting and getting the nutrition out of the great food that I'm eating, and who wants all that to go to waste?  I got the Twinlab Super Enzyme Caps.  But I think I saw Whole 30 recommended NOW brand enzymes.   I haven't checked into that as far as price comparison.  What are you using?  The probiotic I take is Dr. Ohirras and I truly believe it is worth taking.

I had a good day of eating but the funny thing is, at dinner I baked up 2 tilapia fillets thinking one for dinner and one for lunch.  However, when I put my plate together of green beans and a side (large) salad, I felt like one wasn't enough so I put both on my plate.  I felt very satisfied after dinner but I kept thinking that maybe I ate too much.  Then I would think "it's OK, it wasn't like I over ate fruit or nuts or any bad carbs", so it's funny to go through this adjustment period and figure out the psychological and physical part of it...an experiment that I'm learning from and that will be a life-long study  :) Not in a bad way, (I hope I don't have to eternally figure it out, but in the hopes that once I do get it all down and it is simply habit and normal life-style that i will continue the rest of my life - and someone can use me as a study to learn from...maybe...maybe it's too early for me to make sense!  :P I'm going for my bike ride now.

Archived