TMI, and how a medical issue helped me see how whole 30 changed my life

KitchenWitchy

After more than 6 months of whole 30 or modified whole 30 eating, I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled. After a week of antibiotics and a soft-food-only diet, I had a couple days of diarrhea which led to the development of an anal fissure. Not realizing what was going on with my body, I returned to normal eating - beef, sweet potato, kale, eggs, spaghetti squash with tomato sauce - and ended up seriously aggravating the condition down below with food that is healthy, but difficult to digest/pass. A month of suffering, followed by an appointment with a rectal surgeon, and now I'm on a vastly different elimination diet. My choices have been narrowed to slightly stricter than AIP-type whole 30. Plus steel cut oats. Since this condition takes months to heal, I'm in this for the long haul.

But that's just the background for my success story. After the first and second whole 30, I lost weight, about 30 lbs, my sleep improved, my energy improved, etc.

The real success, though, is that my relationship to food really has changed. I went from a total sugar-junkie to not even wanting it. I'm able to easily identify hunger vs. boredom vs. feelings and respond accordingly. Sticking to 3 meals with no snacking is easy. Because of my whole 30 experience, I knew right away how much I should eat, how to tweak my meal plans to make sure I was getting enough fat, and how to prepare my food so that it is healthy and tasty. And best of all... Having this unchosen change in diet has not ruined my life. I'm not mourning the foods I can't eat - I am celebrating my own strength and stability as I weather this storm.

It really is remarkable how much my relationship to food has changed. And it never would have happened if I hadn't given the whole 30 program time and space in my life, and stuck with it even when I didn't see obvious changes for the better. Thank you, Dallas and Melissa!

I hope you heal quickly! My best friend has this problem and has been dealing with it for several years. However, he does not eat healthy and even though his doctor has urged him to lose weight he continues with his unhealthy lifestyle. I've tried to help to no avail, even had him move in with us for awhile so I could feed him healthy meals. He is a total sugar, pasta anything bread junkie. :( I will show him your story and see if it helps spark him into changing.

Sharon, I really feel for your friend. This is a very painful, slow-to-heal condition. Change in diet is one of a very few things that has a noticeable positive effect. Your friend can check the forum "anal-fissure.org" for specific advice on diet and other tips for managing his pain. You are a wonderful friend for trying to help him!

Archived