Hi everyone, 

This is my second attempt at a W30.  I am on day 3.  My last attempt was almost a year ago. I am doing a few things differently this time around. 

First, I bought and read It Starts With Food, so that should help me on the education front. 

Second, I am trying to stay ahead of the game with foods prepped and ready to eat in the house and fridge. This is probably one of the most difficult steps for me.  Although I love to cook, for some reason this often trips me up.  My goal is to have at least 3 options to choose from on any given day.  It's easy to eat the same food, day in and day out, which makes me feel bored and deprived.  So I am really trying to add variety. 

Third, I am going to measure out my nut allotment.  I know that the idea is not to have to weigh and measure, but I found the last time that I ate way too many nuts (cashews, pistachios, macadamia nuts).  It was my "go to" snack whenever I felt hungry or had the slightest urge to snack. This time out, I am going to be more careful in the nut category

Fourth, since I am a type 1 diabetic, I need to weigh and measure in order to calculate my insulin requirements.  I am on an insulin pump now.  I am 56 and was on a pump from 1995 to about 2010.  I went off the pump because I wasn't using it properly (wasn't testing enough) and thought that if I went back to daily shots I would test more and have better control.  That didn't work out to well, lol.  I finally went back on the pump this past August.  I love being back on the pump but I am still struggling with getting better control.  

When I first started on the pump, I just needed to account for carbohydrates.  Now, for some reason, I'm not sure why, my blood sugar often rises when I just eat protein and/or fat.  I don't know if that is a result of menopause, having diabetes for a longer period or time and being that much older, or what?  If any other T1 diabetics have any thoughts on that, I'd love some advice.  I don't really know how to create a protein:insulin ratio for when I bolus.  I'm just sort of guessing.  My doctor and nutritionist are part of the Joslin clinic and frankly, they aren't much help in this area!

Fifth, I am not going to weigh myself during this W30.  The last time, I couldn't resist a daily weigh in. This time around, I am just going to concentrate on eating healthy foods that help keep my blood sugar stable.

Today is day 3 for me.  Here is my food log thus far:

M1: pork sausage and 1/6 of a 10 inch egg and veggie frittata made with 9 eggs, zucchini, eggplant, asparagus

M2: Ground beef with frozen veggies, coconut milk and curry powder.

Snack: 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts

M3: tonight will be broiled petite sirloin steak, sweet potato and spinach.

Day 1 and 2 were similar, but probably with fewer veggies.  I need to make sure I eat more green veggies. 

So, I guess that is it thus far.  Thanks for reading (if you did :-) ).  I find that just writing it all down helps me to stay focussed.  Or at least I hope it will.  

Good luck to all of us embarking on this new journey!

Archived