Keeping myself on track for 4th Whole30

mary-t

Hmm, haven't been around the forum for a while.  But it's definitely time to get back on the strict wagon. I started my fourth Whole30 yesterday after one too many encounters with Cadbury Mini-eggs (why do I love them when they obviously don't feel the same way?).  My sugar dragon has made a comeback and I'm not sure how/when that happened.  He just creeps back in over time and then CRAVINGS!!

I did three Whole30s last year and they were so helpful.  I spent 85% of last year on the AIP protocol and I've made great progress in healing, but still work to be done.  I am now able to eat eggs, limited nightshades, and limited quantities of pecans and walnuts.  And I made good progress on identifying "reactive" foods.  I will not soon forget the effects of the dairy test nor the peanut test nor the pistachio and cashew test, etc. (I think you get the idea).  And I have to also admit now that chocolate (sob!) is not my friend.  If anyone is in the same AIP boat, I totally recommend The Paleo Approach book.

So, this Whole30 is a re-set to boot the sugar dragon before he gets too settled, and to recover from food tests.  Kind of spring cleaning!

Day 2 in the books and I'm feeling better.  The cravings for sugar really diminished yesterday and were very manageable.  I think this is due to my having not strayed terribly far from the normal Whole30 except for my AIP and other food tests, some random meals here and there, and of course my "chocolate tests".  Ha!  At any rate, it's nice to feel my mind calm down.  Also feel my abdomen losing some bloat.  

Day 3 looks to be pretty easy as I have my food all prepared.  Also plan to go for a walk and lift weights.  My exercise routine has really suffered this year due to travel for work and for fun.  So, a goal for this Whole30 is get back into daily non-cortisol-raising exercise.  Nothing too intense as my primary goal is to limit inflammation.

Have my physical coming up next week and am curious to see how things look after 15 months of paleo eating.  

Oops, forgot to log for Day 3, but Days 3 and 4 are in the books.  Sugar cravings are almost gone, and I'm finding if I eat some sweet potato at my next meal, they go completely away.  So, am trying to make sure I get some starch at each meal.  Had forgotten how nice it is not to be craving chocolate half the day.

Do feel a bit tired, but I think that's the normal Week 1 malaise.  Should pass soon enough.  

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, missing up on the log, but my Whole30 is going well.  Now finishing up Day 12!  Had to travel for work and that went well, even the days on the road.  It is so impossible to find good quality food while driving cross-country, but I did really well planning ahead and taking food with me.  So, basically am coasting right along.  Now, if only I were doing as well getting my low-stress cardio.

Archived