Lifting MORE Weight

Intrepid4

Okay, moving over from my Whole30 log (completed yesterday) to this next leg in the journey.

My Whole30 log was titled "Lifting the Weight," which is actually the name of a blog that I write. Many connotations to it: I'm lifting the weight of too many pounds off my body through proper nutrition, I will be lifting free weights (or at least using body weight exercises) to help get in better shape, and, as I explain in my blog, I'm in the process of "lifting the weight of depression from my soul." That's been a long process, but it's part of the journey, too.

I'm going to continue tracking meals, keeping them predominantly paleo and Whole30 compliant. I have no huge urge to jump into grains, and will probably keep dairy at a minimum depending on how it makes me feel. I will add sugars back in (dark chocolate, honey, maple syrup), but will be ready to pull them back out if I find that they become an issue for me.

My goals: continue to heal my body (in general; I fortunately have no major physical complaints), lose weight healthily (34 more pounds to reach my goal for the year, but any amount is a success), and get in better shape. I'm starting a 30-day exercise challenge tomorrow with my daughter (and coach) Mad Dog (her coaching nickname as provided by her clients. No, I don't call her that in real life, but I'm allowing her a bit of anonymity here).

Whole30 has given me the motivation to keep working to improve myself. Hopefully I can maintain that momentum.

Felt awful today. Headache, stomach ache, feverish... it wasn't terribly conducive to celebrating the completion of my W30. So I just kept at it the best I could.

M1: 2 eggs, 1/2 sweet spud with c butter. 3/4 decaf coffee.

M2: I intended to make curried coconut chicken for lunch, but didn't get around to it 'til late afternoon, so M2 was a matter of scrounging around for whatever I could find, which turned out to be the other half of the sweet potato and 2 boiled eggs. So much for variety today.

M3: Got the chicken cooked, but I didn't have the stewed tomatoes that the recipe called for and had to substitute crushed tomatoes. It turned out rather soupy, but still tasted okay. Might make some cauli rice to have with it tomorrow.

No exercise today. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

M1 (9:00) - 2 poached eggs, 2 strips bacon, sautéed kale, 1 cup mixed fruit (mostly berries), coffee.

M2 (4:30) - curried coconut chicken.

Had a massage in the early afternoon (my treat for completing the W30!) and didn't want to show up on a full stomach, so I skipped lunch. If anything, I think that might be my downfall: dropping back to two meals a day and messing up my metabolism. Maybe if I just plan a small second meal to tide me over, then I can keep my energy up but not feel over-full? I'll have to play around with it. Then again, maybe once I actually start exercising I might really want that extra fuel in my system.

So far, my only non-compliant food has been the bacon. I've been tempted to go get a Peet's Mayan Mocha (maybe with almond milk to avoid the dairy), but Mad Dog keeps talking me out of it. She knows what a slippery slope that could be for me. I do love my mochas.

M1 (10:00) - 2 eggs, 3 strips bacon, asparagus, mixed fruit, coffee.

M2 (1:30) - curried coconut chicken.

M3 (5:30) - hard boiled egg, berries with c milk.

I really need to go grocery shopping. Not much in the house in the line of veggies. It's only three days post-W30, and my eating habits are already disintegrating. Not a good sign.

Got up a little after 8 and made 3/4 decaf coffee.

M1 (11:00) - 2 eggs, sautéed spinach, coffee. Got really hungry by the time I ate lunch. Maybe because I didn't have fat with my breakfast?

M2 (1:30) - the last of the curried coconut chicken (Yay!), handful of almonds. I should probably make meals that I can freeze so I don't end up eating the same thing for days on end. Also had a 1/2 oz square of 85% dark chocolate. My first non-compliant food since completing the W30. it wasn't all that great. Guess that's another thing I don't need to worry about adding back in.

M3 (7:30) - Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce. Mixed berries with c milk.

I haven't been exercising like I intended. Kind of a Catch 22. Exercise would likely help my moods, but when my moods are low, it's hard to make myself exercise. Gotta find some motivation that will keep me going.

Okay, irregular meals, not balancing the protein - veggies - fats. Already feeling a drop in energy... definitely a drop in mood. Maybe I shouldn't have gone off the W30 yet. So, what the heck... another 30 days? Why not?

So it's back to my original log. Wish me luck!

Archived