FlamingoPatti's WHOLE30 LOG

FlamingoPatti

Wow, where do I start.  My WHOLE30 journey began April 21, 2014, and this is Day 10.  This has been a breeze for me so far.  I have great support from my husband, which helps tremendously.  The house has been "de-junkified" at my level of reaching.  I'm much shorter than my husband, and cannot reach the top shelves, so I asked him to place all his snacks where I could not reach them.  I asked him to not offer me anything, and he actually eats his snacks rather discretely.  Go Figure!

I'm not saying that I still don't crave certain foods, because I do.  Its like when I quit smoking 30 years ago...to this day when I smell smoke from cigarettes, the brain pulls that memory from deep inside, and for just a split moment, there is a craving.  I have managed to stay away from Starbucks, but visualize about having a Venti Caramel Flan Latte.  I savor the flavors, smells, then snap back to reality and have a large glass of water with 2 teaspoons of orange juice.

I get a lot of benefit from the WHOLE30 TIMELINE, Version 2, that is available on this website.  I asked my husband to read through it, which he did, so that he would know what to expect from me (mood swings in particular).  So far, the timeline is pretty accurate, and very bearable.  The WHOLE30 SHOPPING LIST is an absolute MUST when shopping.  Yesterday while shopping, I chose the "best choice" foods and am looking forward to preparing our meals.

I did eat out for breakfast one day, ordering 2 poached eggs, steamed broccoli, and a cup of mixed fruit.  I told the waitress that I am allergic to grains, legumes, dairy, and sugar (which I am, as it causes ill health and fat).  I said that I had a bizarre order to give and she said "no problem."  So, while eating out, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'll check in again at day 20.  Thank you for the support, and I enjoy reading many of the posted topics.  :D Feeling energetic today, for the first time, in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I missed posting on Day 20, and it is now Day 25.  I had a doctor's appointment and had to get weighed (I didn't cheat, the nurse told me!).  On Day 18, I lost 14 pounds.  I knew I was losing weight because my clothes fit a bit loose.  My husband said that my complexion is like "peaches and cream."  My hair is healthier as well.

I've had my challenges of eating out.  I ate dinner out twice and breakfast twice since my last posting.  I just asked for specific food, prepared a specific way, and the restaurants were more than happy to accommodate me.  It doesn't hurt to ask, so don't hold back.  I made sure that I tipped the waitress well, and she remembered me the next time and helped with my selections.

As I look at Day 30 fast approaching, I'm not freaking out like I thought I would.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  I had been eating a Paleo-choice food plan before, and I think that the Whole30 "concept" will work, with having almond flour, honey, etc. on occasion (and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm having that Starbucks Venti Caramel Flan Latte!!!).  Will it then be called Whole25/30?  ;-D   Seriously, this has been a great journey.  Its not for everyone, but is is for me.

Back again on Day 31!

Archived