Almond Butter

monkey

I'm thinking of trying to make my own almond butter since I don't really care for the consistency of it with the skins on. To buy it without skins it cost $21.00 for 12 oz. A little obnoxious! Plus, I am thinking I will also "sprout" them too while I'm at it.

Here is my plan: First I will blanch them, then I will soak them for 8 hours to sprout, then dehydrate them for 10 hours (not sure on the exact time yet, have to research more.) Then I will blend them till they turn to "butter".

Questions: Does any one know how many pounds of almonds I would need to buy to make a 16 ounce jar? Does it matter if I buy organic almonds if I am going to sprout them?

Thanks!

Curious - is your purpose of blanching them to get the skin to come off? I've found that just soaking them overnight loosens the skins enough that they just slide right off, plus you get the sprouting without the extra step of blanching.... Tried to make homemade almond butter before and ended up having to add coconut oil to get it to turn to almond butter. Could just be the technique (or skipping some of the steps that you are doing), but I ended up with just finely ground almonds and no almond butter consistency.... That being said, I may not be the best one to give a measure of quantity of almonds to make almond butter. ;) Good luck, I'm interested to hear how it works out for you. What kind of blender are you using? I used a Vitamix....

Yes, I was going to blanch them just to get the skins off. I ended up just soaking them and then taking the skins off like you said, that worked fine.

After taking the skins off I decided to try and mix some almonds up without dehydrating them. Well my blender is just a cheapy thing and it did not really turn out too well. I'm dehydrating the rest of the almonds and will try it again to see if there is any difference.

For all the time and work, I can't say I would do this again though.

I just read a horrific article about the pasteurization of almonds which makes me want to give up almond butter altogether anyway!

Archived