Overeaters Anonymous/Binge eating

Anyone here an OA member? Curious about how that may work for Whole30 - or more specificically what your OA experiences have been?

I am bulimic and have attended two meetings (the HOW format) and feel like it would complement a Whole30. However, before I can really be in the program, I need to meet with a nutrionist. I'm reluctant unless I can find someone who would be supportive of a Whole30/paleo approach. Secondly, with the HOW format they want you to weigh and measure every bite of food. That's not in the spirit of Whole30 and not sure I agree with that approach.

Glad to hear anyone's experiences!

I don't have a good answer, I just wanted to say that I support you and think you're taking awesome steps for your health and sanity. Good for you! :)

I currently attend Al-Anon meetings, so I'm familiar with the 12 step format. I've always wanted to attend OA myself, and probably will in the future. I think OA and a Whole30 could go hand in hand because of the emphasis on the health and well being of the individual in both programs. A lot of people will be skeptical that a grain-free diet can be good for you, so I feel for you on your journey. About the weighing and measuring . . . how long do they want you to do this? I would say defer to your OA treatment program and fit the Whole30 within those parameters.

I'm not in OA, but I am in treatment for food issues and know a little about OA. Now, each person is different, but I would say that the HOW format is too structured. I do not want to spend the rest of my life measuring my food, weighing and let's face it, obsessing about my food and my body.

In my treatment we don't weigh at all. I made the exception of weighing in at the beginning of my Whole30 and immediately regretted it. Life is so much better when I don't get on the scale. And it's not necessary! I don't need the scale to tell me I've lost weight. I can tell by my clothes and the ease with which I get around my daily life.

The goal for me is freedom. I would recommend seeking a meeting that doesn't follow HOW. For those of us with disordered eating, this isn't just a physical issue, so it is really useful to approach the problem from all sides. In that sense, I think OA would be really great to do in conjunction with Whole30 and there is probably a way that you can make it work. I just think that the structure of HOW is in opposition to the goals of Whole30 and what we should all be aiming for anyway; an easy-breezy relationship with food!

Now a disclaimer, for anyone who is actively bulimic or binging, I strongly caution against going on Whole30 without any treatment for the eating disorder first. The restriction would likely lead to binging and then you're right back where you started. I know I could not have done this Whole30 a year ago before I started treatment. I spent a good amount of time making all foods "free foods" until I could get a hold on what was going on with me. Now I'm checking in at therapy each week and constantly keeping aware of my emotions around the food. I've developed other strategies for dealing with binge impulses, but it still is very hard!

Good luck! Give OA a shot! The steps can really change your life. :)

I have been to OA and I have been to a nutritionist. Personally I didn't like either! This is strictly my opinion but I didn't like the approach of the OA meetings I went to. I felt like a victim and I don't want to feel like that. Also, I am not religious by any means - I wasn't raised that way and the meetings were centered a lot around that. The HOW is an issue too. I didn't want to weigh every single thing I ate. I don't think that's a wise approach. I have been in therapy and that helped along with meditation and managing stress.

I have a major addiction to sugar so I made the choice to cut all of it out and stick with Whole30 - one day at a time. Some may find my decision extreme but I don't need unhealthy things to be happy. ISWF is helping me to realize that and I honestly feel better than I have in a long time!

Good luck to you.

Before Paleo, I would binge all the time. Now, I don't at all. I thought I was mostly binging in response to stress and to take a time out from the world. It was part that, but the effect of being addicted to processed foods with lots of carbs was that my blood sugar was all over the place and I was stuck in a loop of overeating just to feel normal. Now, instead of having to eat all the time to feed my psychological and physical sugar addiction, I have time to relax and read or watch a documentary and totally unwind and feel great.

If you don't do W30, consider getting rid of all the "recreational" foods. This is what helped me. My life has improved so much since I stopped "using" food and started eating.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Since this posting, I have attended a non-HOW OA meeting - which provides a lot more freedom to define for yourself what "abstinence" is. My OA plan of eating will be Whole30 compliant (and no weighing or measure required - sigh of relief!). Having the Whole30 structure, this forum and OA just seems to increase my chances of success.

Archived