Day 1 and looking for a buddy!

TheGle

Gle,

YAY!!! for starting over ! I am so proud of you.

Yuur meals sound great and it seems that you have slayed the bacon/sugar dragon.

I was so tired all weekend and did a whole lot of nothing.

I did make a nice dinner last night of pan fried pork loin (breaded in amond flour) mashed coliflower and fresh greenbeans with mushrooms.

My partner was not excited about my meal when I told hime what I was making but once he tried it he was hooked. I have never seen him eat so many veggies in one sitting. (the coliflower had gee and nutritional yeast in it)

So score for me and getting my guy to eat veggies.

My neighbor made pumpkin soup for us and it was amazing! He only used pumpkin, coconunt milk and some spices. Perfect. It is so nice to have supportive neighbors.

IBH, I hope you are well. thanks for sharing. Which mayo recipie did you use? I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try it again after my massive fail (2 times)

Cheers Ladies

Have a great week

Day 8 for me.

XX

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a big skillet of what I guess I would call sweet potato hash.  It was soooo good.  I browned some venison sausage that we had processed, added onion, diced sweet potatoes and diced apple.  I seasoned it with cumin and cajun spices.  Really filling and now I have a few lunches. 

This sounds very good, lbh, you must share how you did it, like pan fry raw or cooked...I love sweet potatoes and yams. I have half a yam in my veggy bin right now. 

Today was another Monkey's Salad for breakfast again for me, my great pork stew leftovers, and some cabbage and sliced carrots for lunch. For supper, well, I haven't eaten it yet and it's already 7:30 so I better get going. I love fall for all the harvest goods we get now, like the pumpkin for soups, oops, making my mouth water now better go.

Hi everyone,  the dish I made with sweet potato was really good.  First I diced up about 1/2 a link of smoked sausage (we have processed deer sausage) and put it in a not stick skillet.  cooked it till it got browned.  threw in 1 small diced onion and kept cooking.  diced up 2 raw sweet potatoes kind of small and threw that in.  cooked it all together stirring a lot until the potatoes got brown and sticky.  I usually put in brown sugar and a drizzle of honey to get that sweet/salty taste so instead I added a diced apple at the end until it cooked a bit.  Sprinkled with cumin and cajun seasoning.  it was soooooo good.  It made 3 1 cup servings so I had 2 left over for lunches.  I think I had been eating to much fruit and potatoes were really filling and I felt like I was eating a hearty meal. 

Tomorrow makes day 8 and I am doing better than I thought.  I plan on making a chicken salad now that I have the mayo.  I'm going to load that up with eggs, celery, green onions and probably some apples or grapes for sweetness.

Hope everyone had a good night

Emmaglow,  I used the mayo recipe that I got on this site.  I think on the home page I just put mayo in the search box.  I had never done it before and was a little nervous but it came fine.  I am using it as a salad dressing base, was getting tired of only having balsamic vinegar.  If you make it read the tips they give, I think they are below the recipe. 

Today is day 9 and it is going very good.  I went shopping and got some new things so I'm excited about having variety.  Today is different.  I have a lot of energy, I mean a lot.  I feel like I can't sit still.  Haven't notice that in a very long time.  On top of that I actually found myself looking forward to my coffee this morning.  I never thought that would happen.  I sure hope I have more days like this.

Going to go work in dinner now. 

Hope everyone is doing good. 

Today is day 9 and it is going very good.  I went shopping and got some new things so I'm excited about having variety.  Today is different.  I have a lot of energy, I mean a lot.  I feel like I can't sit still.  Haven't notice that in a very long time.  On top of that I actually found myself looking forward to my coffee this morning.  I never thought that would happen.  I sure hope I have more days like this.

You are doing awesome!! I know I look forward to my coffee now and only with coconut milk in it.

Well today is day 9 /4 for me and still doing quite well. Amazing that the only thing I have to be careful about are sauces everything else is under control. Even meals seem easier. Meat salads are my fav so I never have a problem eating them. For dressing I use a bit of EVOO and herb blends (no added sugar or salt or gluten) and squirt of fresh lemon again. And like you I know I have energy plus I'm also sleeping better 7 1/2 - 8hrs instead of 6 - 7.

Meals today were: nuts/seeds + coconut flakes + 1/2 banana with coconut milk for breakfast, leftover boneless chicken thigh with marinara sauce for lunch with side of cabbage and garden carrots. Supper was gluten free donair meat on a salad made with hot peppers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce and EVOO.  

I'm renovating my garage (flooring, mirrors, kicking bag, weights, to turn it in to a year-round exercise area so I'll be helping dear hubby with some of it. Then on to a bit of card making and TV until bed. I really want more days like this too!!

Good Morning Ladies!!!

I hope you are all doing well.

It is good to hear that you are having energy.

It is day 11 for me and day 9 was a very tough day for me.  I wanted to drink so badly. A gin a glass of wine, anything. 

If it were not for my partner I would have had a drink.

I am doing really good with the food but i still cant seem to make the mayo. UGH! all i do is fail. Funny cause I can make hollindase (sp) with no trouble at all.

I am not feeling the extra energy yet. Still quite tired and now I have a zit on my face! UGH! I have very good skin so this is not nice for me. LOL

I guess my body is really purging all of the bad stuff.

We are over 1/3 there so we can do this.

Cheers

Good Morning Ladies!!!

I hope you are all doing well.

It is good to hear that you are having energy.

It is day 11 for me and day 9 was a very tough day for me.  I wanted to drink so badly. A gin a glass of wine, anything. 

If it were not for my partner I would have had a drink.

I am doing really good with the food but i still cant seem to make the mayo. UGH! all i do is fail. Funny cause I can make hollindase (sp) with no trouble at all.

I am not feeling the extra energy yet. Still quite tired and now I have a zit on my face! UGH! I have very good skin so this is not nice for me. LOL

I guess my body is really purging all of the bad stuff.

We are over 1/3 there so we can do this.

Cheers

Nice to hear from you Emma and that you managed to get over the alcohol dragon, that's a tough one for some I'm sure. I'm still battling the sugar dragon every now and then.  

You can make hollandaise but not mayonnaise, I've heard hollandaise is much harder, but I might try mayo this weekend and see.

Also, I have a zit on my chin, haven't had one in four or five years so yup something's happening for sure.

Well, off to work, have a great day everyone.

Morning all,  Today is day 12 and so far doing fine.  I really don't seem to be having any problems and I'm starting to think that I want to somewhat continue to eat this way more of the time.  I am starting to feel like I won't have big results on the weight and measurements.  I feel like I am eating so much more meat and fat than I use to and I'm not as concerned about portions.  (I used to measure everything, hardly eat any fat and have small portions).  It's a scary feeling but as much as I want to get on the scale, I can see it's a good thing that I don't.  If I didn't see results I like I would probably feel like I'm failing I would be tempted to give up.   Sooooo.....  staying away from scale and moving forward.

Today is my grandson's 4th BD party.  There won't be party food, only cake and Ice cream.  I not worried about that,  thankfully I am not a dessert person.  Cake does nothing for me and I can handle the ice cream.  I should do fine.

Well hope everyone is doing ok and that you all have a good weekend.

It is with great sadness, that I announce that I will need to restart my program.

I went to a birthday party last night, and although I had no issues with the meal or the drink, I had birthday treats (sugar got the best of me). Needless to say, I chose to eat them, no one forced me, no one guilted me, shoved me towards them, I could have walked away, there was no pressure what-so-ever by anyone, no one would have said anything, even the hostess (the great cook she is) and that was it.

I honestly though alcohol would be the issue for me, or rice but nope it's the sugar I am therefore restarting - again - tomorrow, today will be Day 0 for me.

Morning all,  Today is day 12 and so far doing fine.  I really don't seem to be having any problems and I'm starting to think that I want to somewhat continue to eat this way more of the time.  I am starting to feel like I won't have big results on the weight and measurements.  I feel like I am eating so much more meat and fat than I use to and I'm not as concerned about portions.  (I used to measure everything, hardly eat any fat and have small portions).  It's a scary feeling but as much as I want to get on the scale, I can see it's a good thing that I don't.  If I didn't see results I like I would probably feel like I'm failing I would be tempted to give up.   Sooooo.....  staying away from scale and moving forward.

Today is my grandson's 4th BD party.  There won't be party food, only cake and Ice cream.  I not worried about that,  thankfully I am not a dessert person.  Cake does nothing for me and I can handle the ice cream.  I should do fine.

Well hope everyone is doing ok and that you all have a good weekend.

First of all a :D  :D  to have on day 12 you're almost half way to making this a lifestyle change, awesome!!

You are also so lucky not to be a cake person, so am I actually, but the birthday I went to there were other tempting treats that got me. I also like milk and everything about it soooo sad day. The good thing is that I'm also not a scale person, I'm a clothes person, so some of my older, nicer, but slightly smaller pants are not feeling so tight anymore  :) . Good luck to you on your weekend too.

Hello everyone,  Tomorrow is day 15 and I am quite excited.  I have been doing very good and find this is easier than I thought.  I am starting to think about what I want to do when it's over.  I would like to try to continue to eat this way as much as I can.   Depending on what I notice when it's over I kind of have a goal of being able to do this Monday through Friday and picking a meal on the weekend where I have something that I want.  I would like to not go crazy but I have thought about pasta a few times.  I also think I will need to put a little honey in my coffee.  I could probably get by with 1/2 a tsp. now that I've been having it with coconut milk only.  I've have always eaten on the healthy side, hardly ever ate fast food, lots of sugar or junk so I am hoping that will help. 

Tonight I had sausage with onions, red peppers and mushrooms and a salad loaded with veggies.  It was very filling and tasted great.  Hope everyone is doing good. 

Hello everyone,  Tomorrow is day 15 and I am quite excited.  I have been doing very good and find this is easier than I thought.  I am starting to think about what I want to do when it's over.  I would like to try to continue to eat this way as much as I can.   Depending on what I notice when it's over I kind of have a goal of being able to do this Monday through Friday and picking a meal on the weekend where I have something that I want.  I would like to not go crazy but I have thought about pasta a few times.  I also think I will need to put a little honey in my coffee.  I could probably get by with 1/2 a tsp. now that I've been having it with coconut milk only.  I've have always eaten on the healthy side, hardly ever ate fast food, lots of sugar or junk so I am hoping that will help. 

Tonight I had sausage with onions, red peppers and mushrooms and a salad loaded with veggies.  It was very filling and tasted great.  Hope everyone is doing good. 

Again you are doing awesome, I'm pretty well done with sugar too, I check everything before I buy it.  I've been trying to find sausage, once again, that doesn't list sugar or sweetener in the ingredients and not having much luck. I'm going to check out my local butcher and have a chat with the owners and see what they suggest. But your dinner sounds awesome and something I'd like too!

What is everyone doing for exercise?

I went to my first Cardio Kickboxing class after work, and now I feel like a wet dishrag. I'll see how I feel tomorrow but on Wednesday I'm going to try to do a 3km power walk at lunch time so hopefully I'll be recovered a bit more by then. Have a good Tuesday everyone. Goodnight!

Day 16.  Exciting to have met and passed the half way point now.  Feeling like I've done the hard part of getting up the hill and now just need to go down, carefully.  I found a little country meat market will all natural meats - nothing added.  They have run a family farm where everything goes from start to finish (for 95 years) raising the animals, no chemicals or additives all the way to processing the meats.  Their bacon is $5.99 a lb so I think I'm will try to go there soon.  It's about 45 minutes away.

My two daughters are trying the challenge.  I am very excited about that.  I am doing a lot to help, I'll cook large amounts and portion things out for the 3 of us.  Hoping they can stick to it and get some results.

Hope everyone is have a good day.

I had a major setback, so back to Day 0. Whole Boomerang is what I'm calling it now, I've reset myself so many times 

Day 16.  Exciting to have met and passed the half way point now.  Feeling like I've done the hard part of getting up the hill and now just need to go down, carefully.  I found a little country meat market will all natural meats - nothing added.  They have run a family farm where everything goes from start to finish (for 95 years) raising the animals, no chemicals or additives all the way to processing the meats.  Their bacon is $5.99 a lb so I think I'm will try to go there soon.  It's about 45 minutes away.

My two daughters are trying the challenge.  I am very excited about that.  I am doing a lot to help, I'll cook large amounts and portion things out for the 3 of us.  Hoping they can stick to it and get some results.

Hope everyone is have a good day.

Glad to hear your daughters are trying the challenge,  they have a good role model!! (and a good cook too)

My butcher suggested sliced pork belly which is basically uncured bacon, which is fine with me. The only problem with most processed meats is that they add sugar but I've seen a few recipes online for Whole 30 beef jerky and I have a very good dehydrator so I'm going to give this a shot. It's got to be better than the store bought stuff, since it won't need all those preservatives, I'll keep it in the fridge. So far I'm doing okay but that sugar monster is so hard for me. 

Morning thegle,  Sorry about your set back.  Don't give up,  you can do this.  All I can think of saying is try to really prepare as far as food choices.  The more I have to go to when I want something the better I do.  Just this morning I almost talked myself in putting 1/4 tsp of honey in my coffee.  I was telling myself that 1/4 tsp is hardly anything, then I reminded myself about why I made the decision to do this.  Don't know if you read my post but I was hesitating starting the challenge but I did it for a friend who is dying of cancer.  She doesn't have choices, I do so that got me going. 

I wanted to tell you I really appreciate you posting on the site.  It really helps me to have accountability and I look so forward to checking if there has been a response on the board.  It seems like you and I are the only ones active lately so thank you.

Well today is another day.  17 down for me.  We have a wedding Saturday and I'm not really excited about that but at this point I've got to much invested to give in.  I'll put something in my purse and have club soda.  (I need a bigger purse!)

Have a great day. By the way, my name is Lisa.

Hello Tess and lbh,

Sorry i have not been on here in the last few days.

It is day 18 for me and I have come to terms with this and am liking the way I am no longer a slave to food.

Tess! Way to go!! Great that you are active!   I hurt for you and your eating setbacks. You have had such a hard time with this. Why do you think it is?

What is making you want to fail?  You are worth success. Yow owe it to yourself to see just how great you can be.  One of my friends who looks like a supermodel and just glows and happens to eat paleo as a lifestyle told me to look at food and realize that the piece of food is not leaving the planet and if you want it after your 30 days then have it but it can wait.

Lbh, so happy to hear that your daughters on with you. That will make things much easier to plan and even fun to cook together.  My partner is doing it with me and he really does keep me honest and I do the same for hiim. :)

I live in Vienna Austria and the German language is difficult and getting Americanized foods is not so easy.  i would LOVE some bacon.  Ah, one day i will figure it out.

Monday I am going to my very first cross fit class. I am very worried as i am over 200 lbs and not so fit.  I am determined to be smaller by time ski season starts.

I am so sick of feeling like a sausage in my ski clothes and not being able to move or only being able to do a few runs before i am in pain.

My biggest dream is to be able to buy clothes at regular stores and look good with my shirt tucked in.  I am so sick of looking like a prison guard. UGH!!!

Ok ladies. Have a wonderful day. 

Love Love Love

Hi ladies.  Came home tonight and made another batch of mayo and ketchup.  Used some mayo to make salad dressing and got the natural, organic bacon.  Looking forward to trying that.  I am hoping to come up with a couple different meals this weekend to have some leftovers for during the week.  Hope you all had a great day.

Emmaglow - happy to hear from you

Thegle - pulling for you

I think I need a new buddy - ME!!! Lisa and Emma, you two are so awesome :D :D :D and are my inspiration! Love you both for sticking with me too!

I seem to be permanently in a funk and using food, and laziness to excuse myself from getting this done right!! Finally made the right choice this morning and had a taste of bone broth for breakfast, can't say I like it  and think it will make a better soup than a stand alone meal (this was a bone and water and vinegar version only no veggies) so had a quiche with eggs and prosciutto instead (made with an almond flour pastry made with lard) it was good and gave me something to look forward too - I'll just make and freeze some now!

Going to try to make some sugar free salsa this weekend with all the tomatoes I have before they go bad. Or I'll make a tomato sauce. Definitely going to try a ketchup for my eggs in the AM. I have to keep thinking about my food for now as I eliminate my stress points - sugar.

I also watched a very inspirational young man this morning on a TED talks. When you hear from people like him you know you have now excuse what so ever to do something as simple as Whole 30, so quite my whining and get on with it!

Anyway here's the link if you're interested turn on the CC if you don't have speakers:

Hi ladies,  Been busy today.  I made another batch of my sweet potato hash which gave me 3 containers for next week.  I threw together my own version of a mexican chicken soup.  I used onions, peppers, green chili's, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, cumin, chili powder, chicken, sausage and probably a few other things I can't remember.  It was pretty good.  I would have liked to put corn and black beans but that can wait. 

My daughters are going strong and really getting into this.  They are on day 6 and I am really excited about it.  I hope they can keep going.  I have a wedding tonight so I think I'll eat before I go and hope that they have a fruit tray.  I can't imagine that there would be anything I could have.  I'll probably bring some nuts and I'll drink club soda with lime.  I'm not about to mess up after being 19 days in. 

Gle - I made ketchup and it's alright.  It taste better with the food as to when you taste it alone.  I don't know what recipe you are using but my wasn't sweet enough.  my first batch called for 2 dates and I used 3.  The second batch I used 4 dates and 2 prunes and it was better.  It's not good like ketchup but I like it.  I think I like it best when I make a sauce by mixing the ketchup with the mayo.  My recipe is Kick Ass Ketchup.  If you want it and can't find it I can send it to you. 

Well day 19.  11 days and I can get on the scale.  Part of me can not wait and the other part is afraid I will be disappointed.  We shall see.  Hope you all have a great weekend.  Lisa

Well I made it through the wedding.  It was actually no big deal at all.  I had strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, smoked pork loin, 2 olives and 2 artichoke hearts.  I drank club soda with lime.  I have to admit I saw the coffee table and would have loved a cup but I lived.  I was much more excited about having made it 19 days than I was upset about not being able to eat.  Normally I would have stuffed myself and going home feeling sick and bloated and guilty.

good night.

Hello Ladies!!

Day 21!!! who would have thunk it. LOL :o  :P

Lisa way to go at the wedding. So proud.  

I really admire your ability to plan ahead. i am still working on making more than one or two meals ahead.

I finally got a emersion blender and WOW! I can now make mayo. Amazing. 

I have a friend visiting the USA so am having her bring back some whole 30 compliant fish sauce and some coconut aminos. I am really looking forward to them.

I also just got the nom nom paleo and well fed cook books hope they help with new and easy cooking ideas.

I am so torn as I have a very good friend coming to visit me on friday and on sunday (sept 28/ day 28) there is a Vineyard/wine walk that only happens once a year. I LOVE wine and I love spending time with friends walking through the Vienna Woods overt looking the city with a glass of wine would be amazing.

Sooo I am thinking of ending my whole 30 at whole 28. I plan to keep the whole 30 going for longer except for the wine. As I am very happy and not missing much. Maybe a latte made with raw milk? 

Looking forward to hearing how your weekend is going!

OH!!!! Pray for me as I have my first cross fit class on monday after work! I am afraid!

Love you ladies.

Here is what I posted today on my Facebook page for all to see: 

I am starting Whole 30 http://whole30.com/ today (no more sweeteners !!) It's only a month. 

In thirty days I could: have more energy, tame the hot flashes, see a change in who I am and what I can do. It's just eating simpler food it's not battling a disease or living in a war torn country - that is life or death, this isn't - it's Day 0.

Making my shopping list with a menu and an exercise sc
hedule and sticking with both. 
I will track my food long enough to learn carb levels but no more. 
I will walk 5k to 10k steps per day with my Fitbit as my walking partner (and maybe Kelly and Brad every so often).
I will be accountable to myself and report every day.

Any support is welcome, Thanks for reading.

I feel like I'm reliving Day 0 over and over and over again, it's the first day of Fall and my hopes of losing this extra weight before the end of the year are fading like the summer. I will do this, if I can quit smoking, if I can get a new job, if I can start a new business, if I can learn a new skill, I can eat whole food. 

Well I made it through the wedding.  It was actually no big deal at all.  I had strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, smoked pork loin, 2 olives and 2 artichoke hearts.  I drank club soda with lime.  I have to admit I saw the coffee table and would have loved a cup but I lived.  I was much more excited about having made it 19 days than I was upset about not being able to eat.  Normally I would have stuffed myself and going home feeling sick and bloated and guilty.

good night.

Lisa you are the best, that's what I would have done, head for the fresh veg and fruit, be cautious on the meat but make due. Sometimes they have salmon or fish at these as well. If it had been a set meal instead of a buffet you may have had more trouble. Although the last one I went to I just had more veg no sauce and roasted turkey, and it worked out just fine for me.

Awesome!!  :D  :D

Hello Ladies!!

Day 21!!! who would have thunk it. LOL :o  :P

Lisa way to go at the wedding. So proud.  

I really admire your ability to plan ahead. i am still working on making more than one or two meals ahead.

I finally got a emersion blender and WOW! I can now make mayo. Amazing. 

I have a friend visiting the USA so am having her bring back some whole 30 compliant fish sauce and some coconut aminos. I am really looking forward to them.

I also just got the nom nom paleo and well fed cook books hope they help with new and easy cooking ideas.

I am so torn as I have a very good friend coming to visit me on friday and on sunday (sept 28/ day 28) there is a Vineyard/wine walk that only happens once a year. I LOVE wine and I love spending time with friends walking through the Vienna Woods overt looking the city with a glass of wine would be amazing.

Sooo I am thinking of ending my whole 30 at whole 28. I plan to keep the whole 30 going for longer except for the wine. As I am very happy and not missing much. Maybe a latte made with raw milk? 

Looking forward to hearing how your weekend is going!

OH!!!! Pray for me as I have my first cross fit class on monday after work! I am afraid!

Love you ladies.

Emma no matter what you decide it will be up to you.  It could be Whole 28 and then decide if you want to continue but now with more attention to what you eat. That's the idea behind it after the 30 days, it's not to be a slave to NO sweetener, grains, legumes and so on it's just to be a little smarter about it all.

I have two things to do tomorrow, a 5k walk at lunchtime (this will be a power walk as there are two killer sets of steps in between) and then a cardio kickboxing class right after work. I may be in traction tomorrow event. Just remember to have a bit of ibuprofen on hand to help your recovery the next day. Cross fit is awesome. I'm putting a crossfit gym into my garage right now. You'll love it!!

Archived