Day 3, Need buddy!!

Jillibean816

I started Sept 1, and although my husband is doing it with me he isn't the greatest at reading the rules (i.e. he made chili last night and added a can of black beans...after an 11 hour workday I ate it with the caveat that we were going to have to tack on 2 days at the end!).  Also realized sugar is an added ingredient in the breakfast sausage we were using - although the sugar amount is 0 grams, I know it's still in there.

So - looks like I'm looking at more of a Whole45 since I am having trouble keeping the rules straight!  Anyone else wanna share food logs/motivate?

I will be glad to be your buddy!  I have been there and done this 2 years ago.  Trying to get back on track after having my 3 of 4 college children move home.  Needless to say, they sneak all kinds of ingredients into food plus bring sugar (poison) home and LEAVE in the pantry. Recipe for disaster for me until I decided it is time I deserve better! I have tried for 6 months to stay clean ... So yep... lets do this!  :)

I had to restart 4 times because of the food pushers and me trusting that they support my W30... Not this time.  Day 2 for me and almost got sabotaged this morning by my co-worker that wanted to bring me a Starbucks full of whipped cream and sugar substitute to help me out!  Resist.  IT IS WORTH IT!

Make sure to have emergency protein ready... ex. ground beef & ground turkey.  This saved me on days that I had food pushers around.  Try not to snack.  Eat a bigger meal than you normally eaten and you will be satisfied and strong.  Good luck today.  I am positive we will make it and be stronger for it. 

Yay - sounds fantastic!!  I am working hard to get out of the snacking mindset - I think that, and the evening glass of wine are my biggest culprits!  I brought a lot of food today in an effort to eat a big breakfast and lunch at work!  Hopefully that at least gets me thru the day so I can start to figure out how much my body really needs to get thru the day and not hit that slump (like yesterday - EVERY ounce of strength to avoid running upstairs and grabbing peanut butter crackers!!).

I definitely have saboteurs in my life too, but I am motivated by fitting back into my wardrobe and having more energy!!  I had a baby 3 years ago, and I want to be a fit, healthy mom (and not just some of the time)!  Have my husband doing this too, but he would quit in a second, so I need REAL support! :) 

I try to stay simple at first... Pick a protein (Chicken, beef or seafood) then choose 2 veggies! If hungry, I grab a sweet potato and cover it with good fat... then fill in another lighter veggie... sometimes I prefer a raw veggie so I don't have to cook another one. :)   Stick with that but Almond butter can be a good replacement for peanut butter but you will need to wait till you get over the cravings. If not, you might not be able to enjoy the almond butter as much as it deserves.  I am a peanut butter junkie and now I love ALMOND Butter! Grab a couple of Gala apples and smear the almond butter on it and ENJOY the emergency snack :) 

I am doing fine with the foods that are allowed (thus far) - but I think I need to reduce my fruit intake and up my fat/veggie intake.  Today so far I've had a sweet potato with sausage and 2 eggs, and for lunch I brought a veggie-heavy salad with turkey, a whole avocado, and balsamic vinegar/avocado oil dressing.  Blueberries if I'm starving still, but hopefully will just take those back home and give to the baby.  Do you know what an ideal fat/protein ratio is?

I am doing fine with the foods that are allowed (thus far) - but I think I need to reduce my fruit intake and up my fat/veggie intake.  Today so far I've had a sweet potato with sausage and 2 eggs, and for lunch I brought a veggie-heavy salad with turkey, a whole avocado, and balsamic vinegar/avocado oil dressing.  Blueberries if I'm starving still, but hopefully will just take those back home and give to the baby.  Do you know what an ideal fat/protein ratio is?

I'm not sure if you've seen this or not, but it is very helpful as far as planning how much of what to eat. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I'm on my second 30, and I can say the first was a huge success....just wish that I would have stuck with it afterwards.  I'm on my day 3 as well.  Good luck to you, and I would love to stick this out with you as well.

I am not sure that I am correct but for some reason I remember this when I am eating... either a dream or from the book...  My rule of thumb is that a thumb size of fat to a fist size of protein.  Hope that helps.

Today has been difficult as time is very critical but my planning has proved WORTHY! I had my protein in a container and purchased a container of bell pepper slices and tomatoes to fill in for lunch.  Today was the first time that I have not had a starchy veggie for lunch to get through the hunger fears.  So, I am drinking water to make sure I don't have the sugar dragon cause me trouble. :) 

Interested to look at Tyler_Monier's link for the planning page.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Until tomorrow... 

I've ate left overs from dinner for breakfast.. this week I am having salad with 2 boiled eggs chopped, and 2 slices of bacon chopped.  Then I top it with a homemade buffalo ranch.  It has actually made the breakfast time a bit easier by getting in all the veggies/fat/protein.  I really haven't had anything out of the ordinary other than eating left overs from the night before.  Wouldn't mind some tips myself! :) 

Love my breakfast!  Making the egg muffins on Sunday has helped with the typical morning rush but I love to have a left over veggie... spaghetti squash, cabbage or mashed sweet potato as the base of the meal and then throw on top eggs and whatever leftover meat.  It becomes a great way to clean out the fridge but it is actually yummy!  I try to eat protein, fat, veggies and then throw in some strawberries, blueberries or melon. Start the day off right!

Oh spaghetti squash with eggs sounds delicious - I'll have to pick some up today!! I made it through day 5 and feel so energized this morning and incredibly motivated (day 6). Good thing bc today is husbands birthday and we plan on celebrating with a BBQ festival, tailgating and a football game. I'll just be DD and bring snacks for myself!! If I can make it through a long and stressful work week and stick to plan, I can handle a few temptations :) what are your plans for getting through the weekend?

Sorry I have been out of touch.  This past weekend was packed full of required tasks and duties.  I typically make the weekend special as if it is a milestone during my #W30.  I go out of my way to make a trip to the grocery/farmers market and purchase my favorites for three celebration meals.  This past weekend I purchased my grassfed meat special from our local cattle farm. It includes several different kinds of steaks, ground meat and a roast.  This is my gift to myself to help for the next couple of weeks. :)  I bought fresh asparagus, red peppers, zucchini, spaghetti squash, fresh heirloom tomatoes, japanese sweet potatoes, japanese eggplant, bananas, green grapes and 2 cantaloupes.  Saturday lunch meal... chicken wrapped in Whole 30 approved bacon cooked on the grill, zucchini noodles, sliced fresh tomatoes and small bowl of fruit. Tried new fruit... horned melon... not that exciting but tasted like a cucumber. :} Saturday Night: grilled strip steak and tilapia, shredded cabbage raw with heirloom tomato salsa (tomato, green pepper, onion, cilantro) and half of an avocado.  Cut an apple with fresh almond butter for a snack that was readily available during the day and a bag of brazil nuts when I HAD to put something in my mouth. :)  Sunday was good old fashion Spaghetti!  Spaghetti squash, ground beef and spicy marinara(Whole 30 approved not added chemicals or sugar!)  Best when served warm and drank water out of my wine tumblers!  The favorite dessert of the weekend was watermelon and raspberries (small amount) but enough to make me feel privileged. 

Two bigs avoidances... 1) FOOTBALL TAILGATE FOOD... always have my carrots, celery and almonds for the emergency food but with the meals this weekend ... I was satisfied and had not cravings.

2) Co-workers birthday and office meeting - This takes preparation and determination because I have office workers that are food pushers and do not subscribe to my way of eating so the less I say and do the better.  I drank water during the office meeting made up a plate of green grapes and handful of blueberries to nibble on.  Everyone else ate chocolate cake (which I was given and quietly put in trash), Homemade cookies, lemon squares and hot cross buns.  It is my 7th time to be tested like this and I gain confidence with each episode... however, you can not be caught off guard or the food pushers win.  So... remember why you are doing the WHOLE 30 and why you can walk away with your head up and chest out!  We win! 

Love conquering the moments like that... I am sure you will as well !  Stay focused and remember we are getting the best of the best! 

Archived