Started my first Whole30 on Monday, 10/6

ChristyC

Hi everyone!  I started yesterday and so far, so good.  Today is day 2 and I haven't experienced a hangover yet, but that may be because I chose not to go on a binge before starting and I tried to eat healthier over the past week to prep for day 1.

In order to help get motivated, I made a list of things that I am hoping the Whole30 will help with:

• Fatigue
  • Brain fog
  • Skin discoloration around my bra-line (most likely due to a systemic fungal infection)
  • Stomach discomfort due to gluten sensitivity

Of course, I am also hoping to fit into my clothes better.  I took a couple of 'before' pictures and did measurements first thing yesterday morning but did not get on the scale.  Over the past several months I have decided to focus on how I feel rather than what the scale says and to try to make adjustments in my diet based on those feelings rather than a number.  A lot of this has to do with self-acceptance and paying attention to what my body is telling me in terms of what are good and poor food choices.  

I love this forum and would really appreciate any pointers/support you have to offer.  It's good to know that I'm on this journey with so many other people.

Hey Christy!  I started yesterday, too.  Cheers to completing the first day.  I know it's only been 24 hours but it took prepping and resolve to get here!

I'm also looking forward to less fatigue, clearer head, and better fitting clothes.

Is it your first whole30?  (It's my second.)

Christine

Hi Christine - Yes, this is my first Whole30.  About a year and a half ago I did a candida cleanse which was stricter in some ways (no caffeine) and more lenient in some ways (artificial sweeteners and plain kefir/yogurt were allowed).  I stuck with it for about six weeks and did feel clearer headed and more energy.  I haven't been able to buckle down and do it again since though.  I'm excited for this program because it is a clear timeline and it eliminates many items that I know I should get rid of but haven't been able to yet, like artificial sweeteners.

It looks like we're on the same schedule. How long ago was your first Whole30? 

I'm glad to find someone else who started on the same day.

~Christy 

Hi ChristyC

I also started on the 6th. My struggle is breakfast but I sm working through it. My reason for starting the Whole30 are health related also. I am a type two diabetic and I wNt to get off my meds so I can live a longer, healthier life. I think having a goal that is health related will be a great motivation to keep true to the program. I have tried so many ways to lose weight, that all worked for a while but I was never able to keep the weight off. I have lose the same weight over and over agin. Only to gain it bs k a a couple more. After reading It Starts With Good, I realized I need a different motivator. So here I am.

This is my first Whole30 too. And I am so happy your hubby is doing this with you. Lucky you! . I decided that I did not saying I was on day three or day four, as it seemed such a long way to go. So I am counting backwards. So I am on my 26th day! I know it is the same thing but it helps me see the end better.

I am happy you are on the forums also and with try to help cheer you on when and if things get a bit difficult. Once I figure out how to get through this breakfast thing, I will be good. Lunch and dinner have been okay for me. Keep up the good work and have a grat day!

Hi all, I started my 1st whole 30 on the 7th. Little love, I like your idea of counting backwards!  Like ChristyC, I have been eating pretty well so do not find it hard to give up the few treats I had left (like honey!) 

My goals are to loose 20 pounds..... this will be my hardest part of the plan, not getting on the scale, because already I can notice a difference in how my pants fit and I am so tempted to hop on the scale! By my 62nd birthday the end of Dec, I hope to be in the best shape ever!!!

I also took measurements, and pics!  (like others suggested) 

I also hope to get rid of brain fog, and better stamina.

Perfect timing for me, we just bought 100 lbs of organic/grass feed beef from a local friend, so "Brutus" is going to help me along!

Looking forward to celebrating together as we travel this exciting path to better health!

Hi!  I started on the 6th as well.  One of the [main] reasons I'm doing this is because I'm always tired (lately I've been needed two-hour naps in the late afternoon!) so it's hard to tell if I'm more tired or more of the same.  But yeah, I've been tired.  Otherwise, it's been great.  I think I've lost an inch or two in the first few days.  

Other reasons I'm doing the Whole30 are allergy-related - I have extreme environmental allergies and they're getting worse, including an acute allergic reaction in my eyelid to some unknown trigger and constant itchy skin.

Besides that, I'm doing this to learn more about how my body reacts to food.  I hope to identify some substances that require moderation in order to keep me feeling my best.  I hope to break myself of a recent increasing “need” for sugar to signify the end of a meal.  I hope to create a willingness to spend good money on good food (I struggle with this because Im'

During and after this experiment, I will continue the positive trends in my eating habits – a willingness to try new things and retry old things; a growing taste for vegetables; a general aversion for processed foods, imitations, and substitutes; a cultivated taste for water.  I want to recognize and applaud these good decisions and choices I’ve been making, in order to keep making them!

Happy SATURDAY Everyone!  

On Day 7 today and finally feeling BETTER!  Had a day of headache and feeling of WHAT AM I DOING, but when I woke up the next day it was all gone and my energy is BACK!  

I'm doing this so that I can stop feeling like CRUD every day and stop eating my emotions away.  SO FAR...SO GOOD!  My husband and daughter are eating the same dinner as I am (plus rice on some occasions).  They have loved EVERY meal so far.  

My Favorites have been grilled salmon and http://bydawnnicole.com/2014/05/grilled-chicken-with-tarragon-mushroom-cream-sauce-whole30-compliant.html! For breakfast 2 mornings I enjoyed a lovely banana with some macadamian butter (OMG WAS THIS YUMMY and SATISFYING)!!!

Good LUCK to US ALL!!!!  We are WORTH it!

Cyndi

Yeah, one week down!

I felt super tired through day 5 but this weekend was really good.  I even donated blood yesterday, which usually completely wipes me out, but I had a big meal (steak, potatoes, and a ton of spinach) and I feel great.  

Today I also faced my only real temptation today - a friend brought over cake that he made :( :( :(  But when I just think about the foods I "can" eat, I'm very happy with what I'm eating!  

Keep up the good work, mholla...... and stay away from that cake!!!  I agree, when I look at what I can eat I can pass on the stuff that is soooo bad for us!  My first week down is tomorrow  :D and I am feeling great. My pants are loose, my energy levels good, and my head is getting out of a fog! 

Cyndi, thanks for sharing the salmon, one of my favorite fish, I am going to try this tonight!  Glad you are feeling better, just think how great you are going to feel in 3 more weeks!!!

One week down for me!!!   I am feeling great. Not sure who posted this, but it has become a favorite.... hard boiled egg, chopped with 1 tsp ghee and 1/2 an avocado  mixed together!  It is really good. Son in law surprised us last night with some fresh caught blue fish so the Cyndi's salmon with special sauce will be tonight. 

My weakness..... the scale, and I have to confess, I got on it this morning!  Down 6 lbs!!!  I do understand every week will not be that good, and we leave Thurs for a 10 day vacation, however we will be in a condo so I will be able to stick with whole 30! 

Really looking forward to making this "lifestyle" change! Normally it is just loosing weight that I am concerned with but this time I am seeing what food really does to my body.  This is good!!! 

Archived