Jessica's Post-Whole 44 log

jessica301

I decided to extend my Whole30 by two weeks. The primary reason was because I thought I was pmsing during my last few days of Whole30. I did not want to disrupt my system by evaluating eliminated foods that may have triggered a binge or unpleasant symptoms. However, it turns out that I skipped my entire cycle. I went to the doctor and he said it was a possibility that the elimination diet had something to do with it. That said, I decided it was time to evaluate as I now know I have at least a couple of weeks before it *should* start -- if it decides to, anyway.

My first re-introduced food is dairy.

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs in evoo, beets with pumpkin seeds, roasted butternut squash; coffee with half and half.

I gave up coffee for 44 days, and I used to drink at least four cups a day, usually three in the morning (!). Immediately after I started drinking the coffee I felt like I had to go to the bathroom. I know this was a symptom of the coffee, not the cream. I did feel *slightly* hungrier than usual an hour later, but then that feeling went away and I leveled off.

Lunch - Cobb salad (Greens, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, avocado, bacon, blue cheese, grilled chicken and a lemon dijon dressing).

I did notice a slight bloat and feeling of uncomfort in my stomach. Nothing *too* terrible, but certainly noticeable.

Dinner - TBD. Likely will have leftovers of a compliant meal. Since ice cream was one of the suggestions for dairy, I may treat myself to a scoop at a delicious creamery in my neighborhood after my compliant dinner, but I may not. It depends how my stomach feels then.

At the end of my dairy day, I had two scoops of Jeni's vanilla ice cream. I've heard great things and for $6 (!) I was expecting the best ice cream ever. It was tasty, I'll say, and definitely tasted fresh...but I've enjoyed other ice creams better. The serving was just enough, and surprisingly I did not feel any side affects or symptoms after! I was pleasantly surprised by this, and it shows me that I can enjoy ice cream (occasionally) without feeling like I am going to get sick.

Yesterday was (mostly!) whole-30 compliant. Last night I had a delicious filet mignon, some shrimp cocktail, grilled asparagus and a few french fries. The meal was very yummy and I did not OD on the fries. No side affects.

Today I had a salad with chicken, avocado, walnuts, tomatoes and a balsamic dressing for breakfast. It was tasty and I did not want eggs!

I also am having a rest day from exercise. Monday and Tuesday I had "2 a days" and Wednesday I was up really early to do an intense pilates class. Sometimes I have to force rest days once I really get into my workouts since I crave that rush, but I know from experience how important they are!

Tomorrow is gluten day. I planned it on Halloween specifically so I could enjoy a beer :)

Yesterday was mostly compliant. I had a rough day (especially later on in the day) and in the past would have calmed myself by reaching for a cigarette or a glass of wine. I didn't do that yesterday! My dinner consisted of snacking on pistachios then a banana with almond butter and a mug of warm tea, but I considered that a feat for myself. My emotions stayed in check and, while I did not have a "proper dinner" I could have reached for a much, much worse alternative.

This morning I ran just over five miles and that helped to calm my nerves. Instead of turning to negative vices when I am having a rough day I am doing my best to channel that energy to a positive activity, such as running.

Today is gluten day. I am having a bagel with scrambled eggs and bacon and a side of grapes for breakfast. I will see how I react over the next couple of hours. Not sure what I will have for lunch yet.

My last gluten item was a fresh ciabatta roll. It was delicious. However, I knew I would feel exhausted after eating it, and I was right.

Today I feel fine. I ate mostly compliant -- I believe the frittata I had this morning may have had non-whole30 compliant ingredients in it, because something tasted off -- but everything else was on par.

The only thing I think happened from gluten is I feel like my body isn't looking as lean as it did two days ago. I feel like it puffed up a little, but I don't feel awful.

Today is non-gluten grain introduction day!

This morning I had 3 scrambled eggs in evoo, 3 applegate turkey sausages, and a packet of gluten-free quick oats with water, blackberries and cinnamon.

The turkey sausages were not that great, kind of dry actually. I put them in the microwave, so nexttime I will use the stovetop to see if it makes a difference.

Oatmeal was always my breakfast staple. It did not taste AS good this time -- probably because I used to make it with milk. I think once I try it out with milk I will love it again -- never liked my oatmeal with water, ever.

Lunch and dinner I'll be having quinoa. We'll see how that goes!

Today is reintroduction to legumes!

So far my day has gone like this:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs in evoo, 2 applegate turkey sausage links and a banana with peanut butter.

Lunch: Roasted marinated tofu with black beans, avocado, tomato, cilantro and chili lime dressing.

Snack: This salad didn't fill me up (not enough protein, I don't think) so I had a few spoonfuls of a side I ordered: local spaghetti squash with chickpeas, sesame seeds and house-made miso vinaigrette.

I don't think I ate enough lunch. Normally on my whole-30 days I eat plenty of protein and ample amounts of vegetables. This was not very filling. I have a bit of a headache too.

Dinner tonight is going to be "spaghetti" - using ground turkey for the protein and spaghetti squash for my carb. I have zucchini and brussel sprouts that I roasted last night for my side, plus a tbd legume.

I was never a huge legume person so this food group I could quite honestly do without for the most part.

So the reintroduction phase is over! Woohoo!

The only food group to *really* give me symptoms were gluten grains. I felt tired and bloated from those.  These symptoms are something I can deal with, though, when "worth it" occasions come up -- and they will. My birthday is in a few days, and I plan on having a brownie, piece of cake or cupcake (maybe all of these -- who knows), enjoying it/them, dealing with the consequences, and moving on.

Birthday splurges went well.  I enjoyed every treat and did not feel bad about any of it!  I have become diligent in my exercise/eating patterns and was able to jump right back on the wagon after each indulgence.

I went to two phenomenal establishments in New York City this week, where splurging was worth it, especially at Peter Luger.  Hands down it was my favorite meal in my 33 years of life.  I enjoyed piping hot bread with butter, wedge salad and a rib eye with creamed spinach and fries.  As for dessert, I splurged on a delicious hot fudge sundae complete with the restaurant's homemade whipped cream.  I also enjoyed two glasses of cabernet sauvignon at dinner.

While I certainly didn't feel my "whole30 best" after this meal, it was the least of my worries.  It was a memorable and special experience and I thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate!

The next morning my run was not the best I ever had, but I still did about 4.5 miles and had a compliant day.

Following my compliant day, I had birthday treats at my office from my favorite bakery where I knew in advance I would splurge here as well -- again, no regrets here!  I enjoyed a Magnolia bakery cupcake, helping of banana pudding and a smidge of a chocolate chip cookie.  All worth it to me.  Dinner was another special place -- my entree was mostly compliant, but I had a glass of champagne, red wine and a limoncello, along with a couple bites of bread. I also split a delicious key lime dessert.  No regrets here either!

Today, following this splurge meal, I woke up and ran and had a compliant breakfast as well.  I am a little tired, sure, but I feel pretty great about myself that I have been able to enjoy treats but also keep up with my exercise and mostly compliant meals as well.  My splurges are not having a domino effect on me, if you will.

I have more company in town this weekend and for certain we will be venturing to establishments where there may possibly be items on the menu that I deem worth it again.  If that comes up, I will indulge, enjoy and deal with my consequences.  But I know how to handle my consequences now, and for that I'm most proud!

Archived