My 2nd Whole 30- started Jan 5

padrye

So far so good on day #3.  I did the first Whole 30 in June  2014 and really felt good.  My over carbsumption  and binge eating after work plus the holiday goodies has taken a toll on how I look, feel and behave.  So , January is a motivating time to start again.

I prepped so much food on Sunday before Day 1.:

Paleo Mayo

2 salad dressings

tuna salad

chicken breasts and thighs

crock pot pork shoulder

spaghetti squash

sweet potato

steamed broccoli

southwestern frittata 

hard boiled extra eggs too

stocked up on mineral water, black current juice for a little color, sugar free bacon from Whole foods, Aidels chicken apple sausage, almond butter, greens including arugula and chard, onions, compliant marinara sauce from Whole foods, kale chips, almonds, dates......

So day 1 was 

Southwestern Frittata, avocado, blueberries and strawberries- (recipe from "Against all Grain" cookbook)

Tuna salad on arugula with apple slices , walnuts and champagne vinaigrette (homemade)

pina colada chicken on calypso cauliflower rice for dinner (web- the clothes make the girl)

Day 2 was

The frittata from day 1 lasted my husband and I for the first three breakfasts, it had 10 eggs in it!!

same lunch as day 1

pork roast with carrots, braised chard with apples and dash of red wine vinegar, strawberries and fresh pineapple chunks

Day 3 was

same breakfast

Romaine salad with hard boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, mushrooms and green onion with creamy dressing (web)  also pear and blueberries

chicken thighs with chipotle lime mayo dipping sauce, sweet potato with ghee and steamed broccoli

I took a couple of photos of my Day 1 and Day 3 meals.  My goal is to attach a photo often to remind me how yummy that extra effort is.  What is so great is having the food planned out and with a lot of precooking, there is not much stress when I go to make dinner for my husband and I.  

When I worked out Monday and Tuesday, I ate an extra snack in the afternoon..  Hard boiled egg and half a larabar or a slice of chicken thigh in that killer chipotle dressing sauce.  One of my goals is to exercise 4 days a week for 30 min to an hour.  

My go to cookbooks are "Nom Nom Paleo" by Michelle Tam and "Against all Grain" by Danielle Walker, the go to website for recipes is The clothes make the girl.  It is fun to just poke around the web for paleo , whole 30 and see what you can come up with!

Also signed up for the daily emails via Whole 30. 

Am loving hot tea in the evenings, it's not wine but it is cozy.

thanks for allowing this place to post and document life with WHole 30

Patricia- "Padrye"

post-45800-0-23188400-1420689158_thumb.j

post-45800-0-57193200-1420689194_thumb.j

Day 4 Meals:

Breakfast -Bacon, mushroom , egg scramble and blueberries

Lunch- arugula with vinaigrette, hash with browned beef, shredded sweet potato, zucchini, onion, mushroom, red pepper with aleppo chili flakes (basically cleaned up some odds and ends of veggies in the fridge), plus a pear

Dinner- spaghetti squash sauteed in coconut oil topped with marinara (Arrabbiata) sauce, one chicken apple sausage, steamed cauliflower with Olive oil and salt and pepper.  Sparkling water.

Had some bone broth after work.  Sounds really boring but it was delicious and satisfying.

Day 5 Meals:

Breakfast- 2.5 egg scramble with shredded sweet potato, onion, red pepper and sliced aidels chicken sausage

Lunch- Madras chicken salad (Nom Nom Paleo) over romaine, dried mango, tangerine

Dinner- poached cod over butternut squash/carrot puree (against all grain) , plus roasted brussels sprouts

sipped on tea, coffee and sparkling water laced with a tad of either black current juice or pure grape juice.

Day 6 a Saturday

Usual routine of Body Pump at the YMCA. But I usually weigh myself on Saturdays - NOt today!!  Am going to wait the whole month to do that.  I do feel a difference already in my tummy and middle .  The pants zip up better than before Thanksgiving!!

Breakfast: scramble with compliant breakfast sausage.  Ugh I though it was compliant until I saw the word dextrose.  Not going to get that one again!  and fruit

Lunch:  I actually forget at the moment, but I know it was on plan!!

Dinner: grilled burger patties with lettuce, pickle, tomato, pepperocini, mustard and home made mayo.  Russet potato wedges baked with EVOO and dipped in chipotle -lime dressing made with my homemade mayo.. smack smack

Day 7

Scramble with left over pureed carrots and squash from Friday.  Love having left over veggies, cause they go in the eggs!

Lunch: cold plate with olives, avocado slices, strawberries, blueberries, almonds and a couple of meatloaf meatballs (against all grain) I made for the following

week.  

Dinner: son and girlfriend invited us over.  She has done whole 30 before so she was very accommodating and made paleo pad thai (the clothes make the girl), hot and sour soup and baked pears dotted with coconut butter and cinnamon.- A Treat!

coffee, tea, sparkling water, with a splash of grape or black current juice, a little glass of orange juice were the only beverages.

Cooked on Sunday again.  Home made mayo, champagne vinaigrette, chicken curry and meatloaf meatballs both from Against All Grain.  Have the fixings for another frittata and a cinnamon beef stew.  I am also planning a left over meal from the freezer from last week's pork shoulder with some butter nut squash.  LOVE Love leftovers!!

Day 8- Monday again

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with coconut milk and left over brussels sprouts.  Also compliant bacon I found at Whole Foods

Lunch: a box full of Chicken curry which was cooked on Sunday and a chopped salad with vinaigrette topped with a few raisins, avocado and red bell pepper slices

Dinner: Meatloaf meatballs in a great tomato sauce which was cooked on Sunday. Mashed root vegetables (parsnips and turnips, plus ghee, broth s & P), and kale salad with avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and EVOO dressing. 

Before my workout at the Y I had 1/2 cup homemade almond milk- sprinkled in a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Plus a larabar- carrot cake. 

Day 9

got cracking early and cooked the southwestern frittata from against all grain.  Used ground pork, and spinach.  Had chopped all the veggies up last night.

Breakfast: Frittata with avocado slices and salsa

Lunch: same Chicken curry as yesterday plus half a ripe comice pear and cashews

Dinner: pork ragu from Against all grain.  Had the pork and butternut squash saved in the freezer from last week.  It was very yummy

Exercise : body pump

Still kicking it at Day 12

I even survived going to Happy Hour yesterday with some co-workers.  Had a nice sparkling water with lime slice. Plus a few bites of carpaccio and arugula, plus some marinated peppers off the antipasto plate.

Breakfast: Fried egg over sauteed Kale and shredded sweet potato, half an apple

lunch: tuna salad made with oil based tuna, homemade mayo, chopped dill pickle, chopped red onion.  Also slices of cucumber and the other half of the apple.

Dinner: grilled Chicken burger with grilled pineapple on top.  Fixins were tomato, onion, romaine lettuce leaves and a spiced up mayo. Recipe from Against all grain

Tea, coffee and la croix water

The other good thing about this week was i had a meeting at my house on Wednesday and we always serve dessert.  There was a frosted carrot cake in the house and I did not touch my lips to it!!!   Most everyone had a piece but I wasn't really tempted until I was putting a piece in the freezer for later on.  I could have just scarfed that cream cheese frosting right then.  But - did- not.  And all was well anyway :)

Day 13

Breakfast: sugar less bacon, made up a frittata with shredded sweet potato , fennel bulb diced, red onion diced sauteed then add handful of spinach and 3 eggs whisked on top .  Cooked in pan and then finished under broiler.  Served 2 !!

Lunch: tuna salad in romaine lettuce leaves and some apple slices

Dinner: left over greek beef stew with mashed potatoes w/ ghee and some kind of salad... 

Good day!

Day 15

Breakfast: two egg omelet with sauteed kale inside, half a grapefruit

Lunch: Chocolate chili (the clothes make the girl) with scallions, cilantro and avocado slices on top . plus blueberries and tangerine.

Dinner; pulled pork carnitas taco salad.... avocado, salsa and yumminess!

Yesterday, being Sunday, I prepped my foods for the week;  Brined chicken on the grill , pork carnitas , chocolate chili (all from the clothes make the girl), also made a fresh batch of homemade mayo using almond oil. Made Moroccan dipping sauce, cooked a sweet potato and wierd squash, and riced some cauliflower to make cauli rice this week (recipe from against all grain).  In my fridge/pantry this week I have nuts , coconut milk, compliant pasta sauce, aidels chicken sausage, eggs, beets, spring mix , zucchini, a turnip and parsnip left over from last week.   ALso a couple more sweet potatoes. I hope to not have to do much more shopping this week .  I have settled into the habit of doing a big grocery shop on Saturday, and cooking a bunch on Sunday.  Both of these things are big tasks and it is good to not do both on the same day.  This way I do most of the planning/ cooking on the weekend and I don't get too stressed out during the work week about my meals.  It is a good round of whole 30 so far.  Trying to stick with only 2 cups of coffee a day is a challenge.

My fancy drink is sparkling water over ice splashed with blueberry/pomegranate juice (Knutsens) and a slice of lime.. 

Day 17

A stressful day at work.  I did a training at school and was "on" from 7:30 til 4 p.m. Was tempted by a box of fresh assorted donuts, but my fellow nurses do not put pressure on each other to eat these. It is wonderful to have support from peers.

Breakfast: banana and hard boiled egg, tea and coffee..... but no donut!

Lunch: salad greens with sliced mushrooms and thin sliced beef loin strips.  Homemade dressing called Dump Ranch.  Found on Instagram #Dumpranch.  Pretty amazing stuff, reminds me of a fresh tasting tangy ranch dressing

DInner: half a baked sweet potato covered with chocolate chili (the clothes make the girl) , scallions and guacamole on top.  

Snacks: cashews, jicama, carrots.

I'm hanging in there.....  :)

Day 19 meals

Breakfast: scrambled egg with bacon

Lunch: Left over roasted beet and bacon salad. (against all grain)  Includes greens, sliced pear, chunked avocado and champagne vinaigrette.

Dinner: wild king salmon filet- grilled, fingerling potatoes with garlic and ghee, broccoli steamed.  Super yum supper.

Snacks: apple and almond butter after work, sparkling water, herbal tea and coffee

Day 20

Reached the 2/3 mark today and I am believing I can finish this!!  Body pump this morning followed by breakfast of

egg scramble with sauteed chicken apple sausage, diced mushrooms, red pepper, zucchini and onion.  Plus handful of blueberries.

My husband and I are going to have a community garden plot this season!!  I am using a friends plot for this year to give her a break and to let us try it out.  We are super excited to grow some of the food we will eat.

Weekends are hard to keep the motivation going.  Meanwhile I am planning my meals for next week and going to do the big grocery shop later today....

Day 22

Breakfast : scramble with mushrooms and zucchini and onions, 2 pieces compliant bacon and 4 stewed prunes

Lunch: Friday dinner's left over.  Salmon, broccoli and fingerling potato.  Yummy heated up at my desk at work

Dinner: Shepherd's pie (the clothes make the girl) from the web.  It was good, but would be even better with whipped sweet potatoes or whipped mashed potatoes on top instead of cauliflowerl.

I'm obsessing about having a glass of red wine while I cook dinner.  But it is remarkable that only lasts about 30-45 minutes and then I'm ok.  I usually pour a seltzer water splashed with a little grape juice and a lime slice and that is a nice sub.

Day 23

Breakfast: southwestern frittata, from against all grain cookbook. Used half pound spicy Italian sausage from whole foods, sweet potato, red onion, parsnip, mushrooms, a bit of zucchini and baby spinach. Great breakfast and it will feed us breakfast for three days,!

Lunch: left over chicken Hawaiian patty w some olives , lettuce and homemade mayo, also banana

Dinner: beef stew cooked on Sunday in crock pot. Red potatoes w ghee, steamed broccoli

Plantain chips with a tbsp almond butter for snack

Day 27

Going to recap meals for Day 26

Breakfast: scramble with sauteed chard, apple chicken sausage, grated sweet potato.  4 stewed prunes

Lunch: left over chicken curry from a couple of weeks ago.  Apple slices

Snack: larabar, salad from grocery store salad bar with OO and vInegar dressing.. I was still hungry after work since the left over chicken was not my favorite

Dinner: fish tacos- tilapia baked with brushed melted ghee, cumin and garlic powder- slaw made with homemade mayo and lime juice- mango papaya salsa from the store, compliant!  Served on Romaine leaves instead of tortillas.  also sliced avocado and baked pear with coconut oil and cinnamon. Patrick and Coreen over for dinner.

I'm going to make it!!!

Day 30 Day 30 Day 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breakfast, scramble with Chard, apple sausage, yellow pepper and 4 prunes

Lunch: Madras chicken salad on romaine from Nom Nom Paleo, plus 2 cuties

Dinner: Beef stew (left over), with cauli-rice and b.l.t.salad with dump ranch dressing(instagram #dumpranch)

Did body pump at the Y , Snack: larabar and cashews...

There were so many good meals this month, Glad to have this log to remind me as the days go forward.

I am going to keep planning meals and shop/cook as much as I can during the weekends to save me from too much planning and shopping during the week.

But tomorrow I plan to enjoy my co-workers birthday cake and a glass of red wine with dinner.  That's all, otherwise, still on the plan!!

p.s. also going to weigh myself at the Y first thing in the morning.

ok, just one follow up to this whole 30 log.  I weighed myself on day 31 and was down 7.5 lbs.  CLothes feel much more comfy.  Then on Saturday, 3 days later, I weighed in at 1.5 lbs less.  So , I am saying I lost 9 lbs in all!!

Today is day #36 since my start.  I can't really keep counting like this because I have already been to 2 birthday celebrations and had a glass of wine in the evenings.  So I will stop counting.  BUT I am really following the eating plan as much as I can the rest of the time.

Going to the Y this afternon and had a banana, date shake made with homemade almond milk.  SO Yummy, I'll make it for Rick for breakfast. 

My other meals today...

Breakfast : fried egg over warmed up mashed sweet potato and a few pieces pork tenderloin, plus blueberries

Lunch : the clothes make the girl marinated grilled chicken breast strips on romaine with dump ranch dressing.  Plus strawberries and carrots.

A little hungry after work, hence the shake.

Dinner will be: spaghetti squash with compliant marinara sauce including some browned ground pork.  Plus a salad of some sort.

This log has been a good thing for me....

Archived