Starting Jan 15....But what about Super Bowl!?!?!

vincit qui se vincit

The whole point of the whole 30 is to not be hungry. Adjust your meals as you need to, you can have "extra" meals if needed if you work out a great deal or have long days. You should be eating every 4-5 hours roughly. The first couple of days people find they may need more meals because your hormones are getting used to the change and your body is going where is my sugar?????? If you need another meal go ahead and eat one, its better than snacking, you are doing it the right way!!

Things are going fine over here so far. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic! And a little tired.

But, dude, I had a dream that I was eating a pizza with FOUR LAYERS OF (surely non-compliant) PEPPERONI for a crust.

Hope today is going well for all of you!

I'm also new to the Whole 30. My husband and I started on the 15th. We've been discussing the Super Bowl party we were invited to and we decided we will eat a big meal at home before we go so we won't feel hungry there. We are going to dig deep for willpower to avoid drinking alcohol. That will be a big test for us. We socialize with all these ppl often and it always includes alcohol. I'm debating between bringing a snack that we can eat or not bringing anything so we don't have a reason to go to the munchies table, thus avoiding temptation.

One challenge is the amount of time I spend cooking now. I started cooking Whole 30 compliant foods/meals about 2 months ago to get ready for these 30 days. Man! Doing this full time is time consuming! It's a good thing I like to cook because if I didn't, we wouldn't be able to do this.

Well, good luck to everyone else that just started. Stay strong!

2 days down, 28 to go!

I really wanted to eat everything at work today (I'm a barista/waitress)...we were so busy and it was incredibly stressful, and we don't get breaks. Plus our food smells and tastes amazing! But I pushed through it and as soon as I clocked out I sat down and inhaled my salad. :) Woohoo!

It's so funny how when you "can't have something" that seems to be the time you want it the most or think about it the most...lol

Good luck to all you champs out there! Keep at it. We can do it! :)

Hey everyone!! Day 2 down. I will say this is getting easier and harder. Easier in the sense that I can plan meals now, but harder because the cooking is sooooo time consuming. I'm off tomorrow so I am going to cook a whole ton of stuff...hope it fits in the fridge/freezer!!!! Keep up the hard work everyone!!

Caleb - Do you have a Crockpot? You can just throw in your ingredients and forget about it for a few hours - then end up with tons of tasty food. This week I made a delicious beef chili with butternut squash and zucchini that I took for lunch every day. Next week I'm thinking about spicy pulled chicken thighs to eat over salads.

Day 3 down and on to day 4! Feeling great. What about everyone else? Definitely could have used a drink tonight as I was extremely stressed out but didn't do it! 27 days left! Excited to see results and hopefully do more whole30's in the future. :)

I'm very happy to find this group of people who started the Whole30 the same time I started (I started on the 15th). It will be much easier to do this if I'm not alone. My daughter completed her Whole30 last year, so she gave me some pre-Whole30 advice to (hopefully) make this easier.

I've been eating low FODMAP for two years, which has made a HUGE difference in my life, so I'm already wheat-free. I discovered my issue with milk proteins six years ago and was advised to treat it as an allergy, so I've been dairy-free for quite a while now. I started cutting back on sugar last fall, but I decided to Go Big or Go Home, so here I am on the Whole30.

Welcome!! Glad you could join us. Its day 4 and I'm not gonna lie, I've contemplated quitting this several times, however each time I think about how I would have to a) start over b)admit that I quit something and c) waste all that money at whole foods aka whole paycheck!! so here I am sticking to my guns and I am confident that this will turn out well!!! here's to a smaller pant size!!!!!

I started the 13th, a few days before most of you. It gets harder before it gets easier. This is my 2nd whole30, 1st one was in August. The sugar withdrawal is the worst! I never thought I was addicted to sugar, then I realized how many foods (that shouldn't have sugar in them) actually add sugar to keep you eating. If you can push yourself through the first 2 weeks, the payoffs will catch up. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in and say hello.

The fam and I took a little day trip yesterday, and while I stayed on-plan, it did throw things off a bit. I ate some chicken and veggies an hour or two before lunch "should" have happened and then just brought a little prosciutto and a Lara bar to hold me over until we got home.

At bedtime, I felt like I had skipped a meal, because I basically did, even though I probably snacked in the extra calories. It was the hungriest I have been so far on the plan. Now, I see how those meal templates really make a difference.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Today is day 15 of my whole30. Living in New England (Go Pats!), during my whole30 I have both hosted a football gathering and attended one. There are plenty of football munchies that are compliant. There is a great recipe for roasted buffalo chicken wings in the book "All About Roasting" by Molly Stevens that is wonderful. It calls for hot sauce and butter. We use Frank's hot sauce and ghee in place of the butter. Just offer to bring something to the party so you know that you have something to munch on and don't arrive hungry. To the party I went to yesterday I brought the wings, Italian meatballs from the book "Well Fed 2" in Rao's marinara sauce, and a huge plate of veggies and homemade ranch dressing. I not only had to make my own mayo for the dressing but my own worchestershire sauce! It came out great, though, so it was worth the bother.

Good luck, and, once again, GO PATS!

Today is day 15 of my whole30. Living in New England (Go Pats!), during my whole30 I have both hosted a football gathering and attended one. There are plenty of football munchies that are compliant. There is a great recipe for roasted buffalo chicken wings in the book "All About Roasting" by Molly Stevens that is wonderful. It calls for hot sauce and butter. We use Frank's hot sauce and ghee in place of the butter. Just offer to bring something to the party so you know that you have something to munch on and don't arrive hungry. To the party I went to yesterday I brought the wings, Italian meatballs from the book "Well Fed 2" in Rao's marinara sauce, and a huge plate of veggies and homemade ranch dressing. I not only had to make my own mayo for the dressing but my own worchestershire sauce! It came out great, though, so it was worth the bother.Good luck, and, once again, GO PATS!

Wow, you brought half the buffet table.

The Whole 30 and paleo cooking is really time consuming. I know I could make one dish and eat it for the next 5 days, but my husband and I get sick of eating it after a couple of meals. I am going to try freezing some of what I make and then pulling it back out in a month. It's going to take a but of planning AND labeling the container before it goes in the freezer.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Eating_paleo, I had to bring that much food so that I did not feel deprived. I knew that if I felt a little hungry while others were diving into the five layer dip that looked fabulous, I would be miserable. I felt ok, though, even when I smelled brownie on my husband's breath. :)

I have been making meals and freezing half, as well. It is nice to have something in the freezer, too, for the unexpected time when you think you will have time to cook but life happens to make it difficult.

Aaaand, I just got an email about the weekend that my friends are visiting. They proclaimed it the weekend of "hard liquor, stretchy pants and pie." Those girls speak my language *sigh*. I reminded them that mine would have to be the weekend of "sparking water, stretchy pants and Lara bars."

Right now, I'm telling myself that I have home ice advantage-- they're visiting me at my house-- so I have more freedom to provide what they want but also have what I need.

The last few days have felt a little easier than before, but I will be in a food rut soon and am going to need to check out some of these recipe blogs.

How are all of you doing??

This is on my menu for the super bowl:

http://cavemanstrong.com/2015/01/smoked-paprika-organic-chicken-wings/

If you shop at Costco, or any place like it, they have chicken and organic chicken in bulk. The prices are cheaper than grocery stores and the packaging makes it easy to separate it out. Plus whole chickens are ridiculously cheaper than the grocery store. You can roast one on Sunday for lunches all week.

How much water to drink? All of it :) This is actually not as easy a question to answer as people would like to pretend. The old 8x8 (8-8oz glasses of water) is not usually enough, unless you do nothing but sit around all day. Really that should be considered a minimum. As activity frequency/intensity increases so should your water consumption but don't forget about electrolytes. You can get the salts you need from your food and sugars from the fruit. Sugar is not Whole30 but eating berries is and a great source. Remember good hydration starts days before and if you are thirsty you've already started to become dehydrated.

Hope this helps!  

Archived