Starting April 13th

Bridge125

I'd really like to add non-gluten grains back in. Most especially rice and oats. I really don't care about corn enough to add it. mainly I miss baking. I know I can use almond flour or coconut flour too but I really enjoy using oats. I'm literally afraid to add non-compliant things back in. I feel like it's so easy to get sucked back in to eating like crap.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really like to add non-gluten grains back in. Most especially rice and oats. I really don't care about corn enough to add it. mainly I miss baking. I know I can use almond flour or coconut flour too but I really enjoy using oats. I'm literally afraid to add non-compliant things back in. I feel like it's so easy to get sucked back in to eating like crap.

I'd suggest giving it a go. If it turns out you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, at least you'll know. And if it works for you, that's great!

Yep, I decided to move straight on to dairy. So far milk and cheese have been fine, yogurt later. I'm pretty sure that dairy is fine as long as I don't make it the main staple of my diet.

Special note on strawberries: I have to avoid citrus fruits for the most part because I get an allergic reaction - I seem to be having a similar reaction to strawberries, eaten in quantity. There was a REALLY good sale yesterday. Hehe Fortunately my allergies are not life-threatening, just inconvenient for a few hours.

Thought it was advised to do W30 for two days after each reintro? Are there circumstances where we don't have to allow two days?

Happy Monday, everyone! Glad to see the discussion continuing here. For all of you still working on your controlled re-intro, congrats on treating your body right! Here's an example of what not to do:

On day 31, I cautiously reintroduced dairy. It went well. Day 32 I stuck with mainly whole30 and some more dairy. Still good. On day 33-35 I ate all the things and I feel like a truck hit me. Now, I will say that I ate beans and corn tortillas in relative isolation and didn't feel too badly. So I'm pretty confident about legumes and non-wheat grains. But then I had bread and the wheat definitely hit me hard. I asked my gluten-intolerant friend about her symptoms when she has gluten and it sounded awfully familiar. And yes, I had more than a little sugar too, and the physical and mental effects were atrocious.

I'm reading up on the vegetarian version of the whole30, because I'm really tired of so much meat at this point. But since it seems like I do okay with beans and dairy (I'm going to have to experiment more with different grains), I think that will allow me to come up with something customized (like many of you are working on) that I can sustain.

It's been interesting reading about all the reintro adventures!  Sounds like things are going good for everyone :)

I went to the farmers market this weekend.  Still a bit early but I found some asperagus, radishes, and lettuce.  Oh and there's always good meat vendors too.  So I will be eating good :)  Such a beautiful day here today!  I'm going to be outside planting some flowers, tomatoes, and peppers and then going for a walk. 

Thought it was advised to do W30 for two days after each reintro? Are there circumstances where we don't have to allow two days?

Yes, two days is the recommendation. I sped the process along because I felt exactly the same with popcorn and rice as I feel with potatoes and sweet potatoes. So I figured I could do the next thing.

I'll give dairy a few days before going for the gluten grains - these are foods I was allergic to as a child, and I'm curious about my reaction to them. So far no ill effects.

However, I AM ill! I caught my daughter's fever. Sheesh! Haven't had fever in a decade or more. I swear, the insides of my feet hurt!! Also, tummy's a little dicey. No big meals for me today, I think.

I had a crazy busy morning this morning. Had to finish up the call from Saturday night- plus I had a paper due (my last one) I forgot about until 7:30 am while driving to work/school...due at 9am!! (It was only a self-reflection paper and I had it more than half written...but OMG!!!). I was *this close* to buying a scone/muffin/bagel...whatever at the coffee shop in my building at work/school. I grabbed a coffee- ran upstairs and got to work and left the gluten behind. The rest of my day was a kind of running around like that. I really felt like saying f- - - it and eating whatever....but I didnt. I feel like Ive put in so much work -and Im noticing nice changes- but it is so hard when life stress starts happening in a big way!!! Im going to make some raw lara bar type balls- and egg muffins tonight- so I can be prepped for the week. I didnt do ALL my food prep yesterday :-p. Hoping everyone else had a better day. I almost fell face first into a pile of sugary- gluteny mess!

I hear ya. My times of extreme school-related stress are usually predictable, but it's still intense. I realized if I just keep chicken and potatoes ready to go, I can put together boring-but-filling meals pretty quickly. But when you have no time to prep, it's really really hard. I commend you for sticking to it, in a situation where it could be at least very temporarily rewarding to forget about it all. I used to get through the ends of semesters on nothing but Starbucks. Poor thing, my li'l body. Better now. Anyway, I give total props to anyone who takes on healthy eating (any kind of healthy eating) while running around with no time to sit down or prep food.

Thanks AmyS! I just needed to vent ;-). Plus...Im 18-ish years older than most of these 22 yr old graduate students! I think now that Im in my 40s, I have to focus on my health- even though it takes "time"- it is worth it. Yeah- I cook a ton of protein, precook potatoes and have a ton of avocados and frozen veggies so I can put together meals quickly. At least Im done with all my classes...now, just project work! Ill graduate in Dec. :-)

I hope you feel better! I got the flu this winter...I havent been that fever-y and achy in a long time :'-(. Now that you've been eating better, I hope your immune system kicks it quickly!

I completely understand the need to vent. I think if you're not in that school routine, it's hard to understand how stressful the end of semester is. (insert eye twitch here) The world just kind of shrinks down to whatever is happening RIGHT NOW.

I'm glad I've been eating healthily, but I have a feeling this is just a thing that's going to run its course. Since I'm not actively miserable, it's turning out to be a forced rest, and frankly, I'm the sort of person who needs to have rest forced on her. :ph34r:  So it's all good.

loving catching up on everyone's reintro process!  so far i've learned: brown rice is fine and dairy is highly variable. butter seems fine (but at home i'm sticking with ghee) but ice cream/milk = bad. havent done yogurt because i'm kinda meh about yogurt anyway. cheese seems to be ok in small amounts.

Hi folks, I'm quiet on here now because I'm going on 48 hours with fever. What grownup has a fever for 48 hours???!!! Sheesh. The forced rest is really good for me though. I never sit down, and I needed to. But fever? Really??

Anyway, reintro has gone very well, in spite of the fever. I've been pleased with how my body responded to the foods I reintroduced - I can see which foods I'll be eager to keep in regular rotation and which will be more occasional, but basically I didn't have a scary reaction to any of the foods I reintroduced. I came to Whole30 with a background of some fairly life-affecting childhood food allergies, so this is really very exciting.

My biggest dilemma is going to be figuring out how to incorporate the newly reintroduced foods into my habitual Whole30 template meal composition. I've been at this for about 2.5 years now, so mostly when I think about making a meal, I just automatically make a Whole30 meal. I'm trying to figure out what the newly reintroduced foods will be, in my new template.  So far I have:

1. Rice, tortilla, taco shell, or bread by itself - takes the place of potatoes or sweet potatoes

2. Rice and beans - takes the place of protein, but I'll add some meat protein and plenty of fat

3. Popcorn - takes the place of starchy veg - but this is really a snack food for me so it will be something I'll eat less often

4. Cheese, milk - takes the place of protein and fat, but I'll add some meat protein and some hefty starchy veg

5. Yogurt, ice cream - I'm not as interested in these things as I thought I'd be. I bought yogurt but don't want to eat it. Ice cream is just an occasional treat, I'm not an ice cream fanatic (again, this goes back to the childhood allergy - ice cream used to bring on bad symptoms so I don't really have a pleasant association with it)

6. Sugar - I've had this a couple of times, though I've tried to separate sugar from other reintro items. I think it's OK as long as I continue to eat well, especially a good hefty amount of protein, fat, and specifically starchy veg, along with any sugar consumption. What I realize is that in my pre-Whole30 days I often did not eat enough food, and would instead keep my energy constantly charging with sugar and caffeine. I actually have to MAKE myself eat a meal if I eat or drink something sugary, it's such an old and ingrained habit to not eat food but to ingest lots of sugar.

7. Peanut butter - meh! I just don't like nut/legume/seed butters. Maybe because in 8th grade I had a pb sandwich every day for a year, I had my lifetime supply already! Haha - anyway, if it appears in a dish, I know I'm OK to eat it. I don't find it especially filling, which surprised me. I thought it would be a decent protein/fat sub for, say, travel days. But no, it really doesn't fill me up.

So this has been a really positive learning process for me. I can't believe I never took on the challenge of a reintroduction before!! I'm really happy I've done it. If anything new comes up for me over the next few days as I (hopefully) start to recover, I'll post it here too.

Amy thanks for the update! Very interesting. I can see the benefit of knowing what foods you are ok with. Even if you still eat mostly whole30 foods it would be nice for when you go out to eat or go on vacation and be able to not worry so much about the menu. So maybe someday I will do a reintro too. Just don't think I'm ready yet.

I've been really tired the past few days. I need to figure out if it's something I'm eating or just not sleeping well enough. Going to try to remember to take some Natural Calm before bed and see if that helps.

Good morning friends!

I finally made up my mind on re-intro. I am holding off. I have been a bit non-compliant this week. Not that I have had non-compliant foods at all. Mainly I have been making a few Paleo/Whole30 desserts... physically I am noticing I have been more fatigued, not really the same energy I had, I haven't been out to walk or run all week and I just felt sluggish. I woke up and decided to start fresh with Round 2 today. I felt so great through Round 1 and I really want to take that further. I definitely need more activity in my life and I need to continue to find ways to hold back the stress. I am still sleeping really well I am just anxious to get back that refreshed and ready to go feeling in the morning. 

Once I am through with Round 2 I will seriously put effort in to re-introduction and maintaining this lifestyle. 

My biggest dilemma is going to be figuring out how to incorporate the newly reintroduced foods into my habitual Whole30 template meal composition. I've been at this for about 2.5 years now, so mostly when I think about making a meal, I just automatically make a Whole30 meal. I'm trying to figure out what the newly reintroduced foods will be, in my new template.  

I'm working on this as well, so I don't end up just ADDING cheese or beans or grains to a whole30 meal and ending up with too much (too much food overall, too much fat, etc.).

As I mentioned, I reintro'd too fast, and then went off the rails almost entirely, and I felt it. I tried to move back to my pre-whole30 version of a healthy diet, and I still felt lousy. Last night I turned to my husband and said "I miss my whole30!" And he, as the voice of wisdom, said, "So go back to a less extreme version of it". Exactly! I cooked up some chicken and made a batch of mayo, and I'm having spinach salad with chicken and whole30 ranch dressing all day. But I'm not going to stress about including other foods (like dairy) that don't have a bad effect on me.

Not to be a bad influence, but if you guys want a compliant-but-majorly-SWYPO treat, I found a delicious banana muffin recipe. I left out the maple syrup and used blueberries instead of chocolate bits. Okay, I did leave in the vanilla, but it probably isn't necessary.

Not to be a bad influence, but if you guys want a compliant-but-majorly-SWYPO treat, I found a delicious banana muffin recipe. I left out the maple syrup and used blueberries instead of chocolate bits. Okay, I did leave in the vanilla, but it probably isn't necessary.

Just a note for folks who may be reading along: these muffins are perfectly fine for anyone who is NOT currently on a Whole30, which is the case for those of us posting on the thread right now. For folks ON Whole30, these muffins are very specifically NOT COMPLIANT. Enjoy them when not Whole30ing only.

Good point, sorry. Compliant was not a good word choice. Ugh, I just pulled a "Hey, let me tag these paleo pancakes as #whole30" moment. Read the rules, Whole30 friends, read the rules! 

Hahaha :lol:  The thing is, this sort of food works just fine for some folks transitioning into and out of Whole30 eating. It's just important to specify, here on the forums, that it's not OK during a Whole30. We have too many people posting the most bizarre things out on the interwebs and calling them Whole30. Lordy!

For another perspective, one of my own goals in reintroduction was to see if I could tolerate wheat enough to make banana muffins, for example, with wheat flour (again, when not on Whole30). I really really can't stand Paleo muffins, breads, cookies, etc. And they're so freakin' expensive. And mostly they're made with nuts and coconut, which I just don't like and don't do well with. And other similar complain-y sentiments. So anyway, I decided to do a formal reintro in part to discover whether I'd feel good about bringing in wheat-flour based baked goods into my post-Whole30 life. Turns out, it's probably fine, as long as I'm watching the sugar, and watching how I handle it - no sense eating cake and skipping dinner, for instance. :ph34r:

I am finding sugar- not even the processed stuff- but too many dried fruits even, can send me into this weird GET-Into-My-Belly-Baby syndrome! I just want to eat everything!!! Similar to AmyS- I need to balance my sugar with protein and fat (like a mini meal or something). 

So, I feel great today! My motivation and determination to live a clean and healthy lifestyle is back with a vengeance today. Yesterday I seriously considered just saying eff it and going for pizza and ice cream! I'm completely committed to doing this next round and then slowly reintroducing things. Off to make dinner, just checking in!

I know everyone is sort of off doing their own thing now...but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed Whole30-ing with you all! Thanks for listening and supporting- I can't believe I not only made it through the 30 Days, but I'm pretty much still going!! :D  Finding out what works for my WholeJess. I also bought new exercise pants the other day- a size smaller!!!! B)   People are starting to notice- and I am feeling pretty damn good. I'm not sure who is still checking out the boards...but thanks everyone!  :wub:

Ditto that! Thanks again everyone for a great supportive group! I'm still going strong. Energy is still up and down a bit but I'm feeling really good overall. I put on some clothes today and noticed it looked much better than last time I wore this. So yeah, WholeTraci for life :)

Archived