April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

Is there room for one more? I have over contemplated doing a Whole30 and its just time to get going. This will be my first.

I am looking to improve my health more than anything as I know that I am addicted to sugar. That is going to be the hardest part for me. So...here's to better health and wellness.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey April 20 starters!  How is it going?

I started a kitchen clean out yesterday which I think I just finished.  I've also spent the morning chopping and cooking trying to feel prepared for tomorrow's beginning.  I used the wrong peppers for one sauce I was making and my hands are still stinging from the heat.  

I took my weight, measurements and before pictures.  Wow, those pictures are awful. They should be motivating, but they are depressing.  I just hope the next 30 days actually makes a difference that I'll see in the after pictures.

I am anticipating one of the hardest things for me will be giving up Diet Coke. When I did a "Whole21" in December, I didn't give up diet coke because the first week my head ached so badly that I felt like I couldn't function at work.  It some of the info on the W30 website, they specifically talk about diet coke drinkers needing to get off that juice and i know I should, but it will be a challenge.  Several of my colleagues drink the stuff too.

Okay -- well happy Day 0 to you all!  
N

We spent the weekend hiking so I didn't get as much done as wanted. Gonna do measurements tonight and pics! I do have proteins cooked up and I think enough veggies to get me at least til Thursday! I hope!! Lol have 2 lunches for my husband packed up too.

It turns out that DH is not really committing to a Whole30, as I sort of suspected from our conversation last week.  He'll do a lot, but he thinks it's pure foolishness to give up his diet Coke.  We had a pretty tough conversation about that, because that's something we talked about extensively last year -- and he agreed to stop drinking it.  He stopped buying it at the grocery story and switched to diet A&W and ginger ale, and eventually switched to seltzer.  I had thought that except for occasional sodas out, that was what he was drinking.  Turns out no, he's been buying two of them every day at work.

Triggering for me, because not only did he do it, but he said he forgot that we had ever talked about it.  I heard that Way Too Often from my ex, who used it as an excuse to go back on promises of all kinds.  DH is a very different person from my ex (he's 6 feet tall, for example, and she's 5 feet tall).  Still, that was a tough one.  And he, of course, feels all put upon and unloved because I don't appreciate that he's gone from two diet Cokes a day to two in a week.

DH has also decided that he's going to keep munching on cough drops.  He thinks it's for his congestion and I can't disagree at the moment -- he's had a bad cold -- but mostly he just eats them like candy.

Sigh.

ThyPeace, notes that she had a pretty compliant weekend, though Wendy's put catsup on our burgers and we didn't figure it out until we were already in the car. 

Lol mine starts saying maybe not so "strict" at work....then you won't be doing a whole30.......maybe this is a bad time to start. Laugh and roll my eyes.

His work will only get worse and won't slow again until sept/oct so...

Hi! Can I join in, too? I'm starting tomorrow as well. Got the shopping done and started some cooking today. Made the chocolate chili. Can't wait to have that for meal 1 tomorrow. I need to make some veggies in the morning to go with it and to have for the day.

Goals: Heal. I'm facing some health issues and my doctor recommended this program. I can't wait to start feeling better!

Hubby isn't doing the program but is very supportive. He usually does a lot of the cooking. I told him I'm doing it starting tomorrow. He said, "just tell me what you can and can't have."

I've got the new Whole30 book and the two Well Fed books arriving Tuesday.

Made the mayo from theclothesmake the girl. Used avocado oil and a little olive oil. Really interesting tasting. . . .

See you tomorrow!

Yay! Tomorrow is the day! I didn't get much prepping done, but there's enough to get them tomorrow.

I don't think my hubby would ever make it through a whole 30. He gave up fried foods for a month and came into the living room eating a bag of chips, "are these fried?" "Yes!" "But not deep fried, right?" Bless him.

Hello, hubby and I are starting today too. He has co-workers who have done it and it was his idea for us to try it! I knew "of" it and was like alright let's do it! I don't think he fully knew what it was all about but I've been getting him up to speed on it all and we're both reading the book quick as we can. We have kids age 8 & 9 who think the whole idea is pretty interesting and agreed to be supportive of us although we aren't going to ask them to follow it with us this time they'll be eating the main meals with us. My 8 year old said he wants a full report of what we ate when he gets home from school :)

Not best meal 1 but I had 3 eggs, cucumber, tomatoes and half an avocado. Plan to have chicken and potato salad for meal2.

On another funny form my son the other day he asks, "you can still watch movies on your diet.......right?" He was pretty worried lol

Hey Gang,

The pork roast has about an hour left in the crock pot (started it yesterday). Got up this morning and made sunshine sauce, roasted zucchini and some dog food.

I joined myPaleoPal (ID penlynwilson) and posted breakfast: chocolate chili with avocado, roasted zucchini and some strawberries. I think I need more veggies at breakfast. Considering it's snowing off-and-on the chili is nice for breakfast. I'm trying to decide about cooking more today or waiting. I work at home and have a full slate today. I want to make theclothesmakethegirl "best chicken you will ever eat" http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/and may roast a spaghetti squash. . . . .I also realized that I need more veggies to cook

I found this the other day and am using it as a starting point for this week: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Once I get the cookbooks tomorrow, I'll make my own plan. She does have plans for week 2, 3, and 4.

My husband said NO to the chocolate chili lol. He said I can add cocoa to my bowl lol. So I am just gonna make ours without beans or sausage. It's warm here but chili sounds good! I have been thinking about making the sunshine sauce, how is it?

My husband said NO to the chocolate chili lol. He said I can add cocoa to my bowl lol. So I am just gonna make ours without beans or sausage. It's warm here but chili sounds good! I have been thinking about making the sunshine sauce, how is it?

It's good! I think I added too much paprika - it packs a punch. . . .

I don't really taste the cocoa. I think it just brings up the flavor.

I'm 6 hours ahead of Eastern time so my day 1 is mostly over. Had some good food, including some wild boar smoked bacon we found at a market yesterday. Tons of veggies and eggs for breakfast. Boiled egg, raw broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and proscuitto for lunch. Felt completely exhausted after noon (stayed up too late last night) and took a nap instead of amping up on chocolate and coffee like normal. Dreamed that I was trying to drive on a long road trip and just couldn't stay awake while driving, soooo tired. Also dreamed I ate a pancake with peanut butter! Decided I was hungry enough for a small snack of red grapes & a little coconut water. Dinner was a nice big salad with Green Chili Chicken tenders I made earlier. Hubby had to work so made the same for him and sent it with. The chicken tenders were delicious and super easy, kids ate them up too. http://www.katrina-runs.com/green-chili-chicken

Happy 1st day to you all!

Day 1 so far:  DD is sick, DH is home with her (he was already planning to telework).  Meanwhile, the office is full of crazy people who appear to have a poor handle on their jobs -- except for the ones who just rant and rave about how BAD a job others are doing.  

Food?  Easy.  

Breakfast at a luxuriously late 7:30am:  Eggs, veggies, and potatoes with salsa.  Plus a plum.  Coffee sometime mid-morning (black, decaf).

Lunch:  Split up between 12pm and 2:30 pm because I only get a few minutes to eat at any one time during the day:  Pork chop, apple, cut veggies, almonds.

Supper:  Supposed to be salads from a place near us delivered by a friend.  But with DD sick, that may not work.

ThyPeace, it's a day to type fast and hope nothing goes completely off the rails.

That green chili chicken looks awesome. I'll have to get the stuff for that. Also, I'm jealous of your wild boar bacon. We're all napping here this afternoon. I had one last hurrah with wine last night and paid for it by not being able to sleep. Why do we do things that make us feel like crap? Oh yes, the silly brain and those addiction/pleasure centers. It's kinda nasty here today so I think I will be able to entertain the toddler with food prep. He likes to put the cut up veggies in containers and throw them on the floors, etc.

Sorry about your sick kiddo ThyPeace.

I'm delighted I wasn't hungry until lunch time. I did have a snack before a lunch-time yoga class. Unfortunately, I put it too close to the class. Lesson learned. Came home and had lunch - slow-cooker Italian pot roast from the clothes make the girl, zucchini and some cashews. I ate a lot less than I expected. I *know* I'm not hungry, but want something sweet. I knew the sugar cravings were going to be the challenge.

JillP: I usually drink a lot of water and end up going to the bathroom constantly anyway. I live in the rockies where it is very dry and so easy to get dehydrated.

andilynn: Going to look at that green chili chicken. Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing.

ThyPeace: Sorry about the sick DD. Love the idea about splitting lunch up into two meals.

Your meals sound great and everyone sounds so positive!

Have you all done your before pic? I'm on my way to do it now, a little late but before my husband comes home and catches me - lol!I feel silly doing it But I know it will be motivating.

Archived