Started Yesterday

Shine99

I'm generally a very happy, positive person. I was having a good, leisurely morning. I had time to sit outside with my coffee reading (one of my favorite things in life). As I was heading out the door something made me snap-I'm not even sure what it was now-but I had a mini "temper tantrum", slamming the dryer door, tossing some grocery ads off the table, wondering why I was so angry. I realized it wasn't whatever miniscule hiccup occured as I was heading out, it was my health status. I've gained some weight. I know how to lose it, but I haven't lost it. I drink too much alcohol. I know better. But I haven't made the necessary changes. My clothes don't fit. I don't want to buy new clothes because I don't want to be this size. I don't like any pictures of myself. I'm worried about my health. I feel flabby, bloated, yucky.

Last week my friend (and physician) told me that she and her husband just finished Whole 30. She said it helps break food addictions, helps you detox from all the chemicals in processed food. They said it was hard at times, and in the beginning they didn't feel very good, but in the end they felt great. Their eyes were opened to a lot of additives in foods that they thought were healthy. They are both physically very healthy so it wasn't about weight loss for them, it was about eating clean foods and ridding their bodies of dangerous chemicals.

It sounded appealing to me. I don't have a sweet tooth. I LOVE vegetables. I LOVE meat. I like grains but don't LOVE them. I can do this. But I really like a glass of wine with dinner. One glass is enough, I don't have to finish the bottle. But I like pairing wine with food. I really like to sip a glass of bourbon after dinner. Doesn't have to be a large glass, one shot with a little water and I sip, sip, sip. I like to try a flight of craft beers when we go to an interesting restaurant. Hm, 30 days. Then I realized, if this is what is holding me back- YIKES- I BETTER do it.

It also makes a lot of sense to me. Most of our bodies are so used to chemicals and inflammatory foods that we have a "new homeostasis"; our bodies have adapted to the regularity of these things and we need to re-train them. Things like flatulence, acid reflux, hypertension, diabetes and heart disease are so common that we consider them "normal". They aren't normal, they are "usual". Big difference.

So I grabbed two hard-boiled eggs out of the fridge and decided to read more once I got to work. I've been trying to read about it for about a week, but haven't had time to get past just a couple paragraphs. Work was really busy but I had an hour in the afternoon to review the plan. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for eating at work but I had some carrots in the fridge and some leftover chicken so that was lunch.

I came home really hungry and made a large pan of roasted broccoli in coconut oil with garlic salt and a squeeze of lemon. Also made 3 sunny side up eggs and finished off the carrots. Not a great start but stayed within the plan. I spent the rest of the night reading as much as I could, making a grocery list and getting a food plan together in my head.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Breakfast casserole most days: Sauteed bell peppers, onion, spinach, broccoli with oregano, cayenne pepper and salt (in olive oil) blended with eggs. I used to make these as muffins but the clean up is a pain so I think I'll just bake one large casserole and slice into squares. Can top with avacado and/or compliant salsa and have a little canteloup or strawberries if I feel the need

Lunches:

Mason jar salads with tuna, chicken or beef. Romaine lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, avacado home made dressing (olive oil, dried herbs, oil and vinegar). Finish with an apple (nature's toothbrush)

Tuna or chicken salad in romaine wraps (or just on top of my mason jar salad)

Dinner: Meat & 2 Veg. Crock pot will come in handy but quick sautee of chicken, beef or pork marinated in fresh herbs & olive oil served with coconut oil roasted vegs (cauliflower, sweet potatoes, broccoli) and sauteed or steamed green beans, spaghetti squash, zucchini, etc.

Hot tea, cold brewed tea, sparkling water with lemon/ lime with and after dinner to replace my usual wine/ alcohol.

I slept really well last night except for a couple cramps in my calves. This morning I had coffee outside while reading and 3 sunny side up eggs over red bell pepper, onion and broccoli sauteed in olive oil. Packed a mason jar salad with tuna for lunch and have chicken defrosting for dinner. Also made my grocery lists and will pick up many veggies, meats and good fats today.

My husband is out of town for work until tomorrow. I texted him a link to whole30.com and told him I'm doing it. He hasn't responded about it directly. We spoke briefly on the phone and I told him what I'm doing. He's supportive but we haven't really discussed it. We're not big phone talkers/texters. So we'll talk tomorrow night. He may join me, or may not. He has a BIG sweet tooth. He likes his alcohol too, like me, but has been fine without it as well. He has gained weight too, and I know he doesn't feel great, although I don't think it affects his attitude/self-image as much as it does me. Even if he doesn't join me, I know he'll support me. :)

Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear any feedback more experienced people have regarding what I've written and my plan. I'm really excited about making a change for the better for my health! All suggestions, feedback and recipes are greatly appreciated!!!

Archived