Today Is The Day!! May 30!!

Chellesdoingr8

I am a cancer and crohn's disease survivor.  I have been cancer free since 1994 and the crohn's disease has been in remission since 1999. 

I quit smoking in 2003 and haven't looked back.

I find that I am getting more sensitive to what I am eating.  This program sounds great!  No doubt I am a work in progress, however, look forward to seeing my transformation after the 30 days.

My birthday is June 10.  I am planning to celebrate with real food.  It can only get better from here!!

Cheers!!

Michelle :D

Thank you Cornmuffin and LisaPT for the replies.  I am feeling "a-ok" after the first day.  On to Day 2!! :rolleyes:

Cornmuffin, I look forward to celebrating our birthday's in the "spirit of cakelessness" (HILARIOUS LisaPT; congrats to you on Day 4)!!  My birthday "cake" will be a fruit salad :lol:

Cheers to us!!!

You have been through alot in life Michelle. Way to go on quitting smoking.

One thing I posted on my May 28th start thread was that my mom took many tries to quit smoking and I am equating that with me trying to be healthy, lose some weight and get control over my diet. I surely have tried and stopped in the past. This time round my resolve seems better. I think the idea of the whole 30 clicks with me for a few reasons. 

I believe what nature made has got to be best for us.

I KNOW that products with gluten cause swelling an indigestion for me because I went without it for a while.

I KNOW that sugar is my downfall and I could go on and on about sugar  :P

During my starts and stops I feel I have enough -how to make something decent ideas in my head now to be ok.

I think a big tip for me from the book though is to be prepared. I know if I don't see something I can eat or wait till I am starving I am in trouble.

May 30 start here too! So far so good, its been hard to eat so much at breakfast since I have never really been a breakfast eater. But I'm doing it! My husband quit on day 2, so I am going solo in our household, I hope I don't end up punching him over an expensive apple chicken sausage, he eats a lot and my conveniently planned and prepared (and fairly expensive) food could potentially disappear quickly. He is very supportive though and will eat whatever I cook for dinner. We should probably just buy some chickens and build a coop now, so many eggs are about to be consumed in the next 30 days! Overall low energy and a little achy, but thinking about the end goals make it all worth it. I know we can all get through this together, I really appreciate all the amazing support groups I have found on line!

I'm sorry your hubby quit! I don't think I could do it alone. And yes, those chicken apple sausages are ridiculously expensive. I've only purchased them then they were on sale. I also buy my eggs in the 5 dozen boxes at Costco. $8 for 60 eggs!

Looks like we've built a nice little support group here!

My husband totally thinks I drank the whole30 koolaid and is veery skeptical about the whole 30, but since he didn't read the book and hasn't done the extensive research I did I guess it's understandable. No wonder he failed 2 days in, haha. It is so nice to know I am not doing alone, at least over the interweb!

I am considering a Costco membership, but it's half hour away and we have very little storage in our tiny apartment. But I did some calculating on our approx. egg consumption the next few days and it's pretty incredible, my husband alone eats 3 eggs every morning. 200 eggs in a month for both of us? Crazy! With my "happy egg" brand at $5 a dozen that seems unmanageable.

Those chicken sausages are my total fav right now, but I'm already spending a lot of money on groceries, and my husbands been out of town. When I have to feed two of us it's going to get crazy. Hope the hubs likes ramen : )

Day 4, yay! Only 26 days to go! I feel pretty good right now, a little headachy but nothing horrible and I've been pretty tired, but honestly I was before starting too. Day off today and I slept in way too long. So breakfast was really lunch. I'll still get my 3 meals, just at different times than normal. I did sleep amazing though, which is always a struggle, mostly due to daily evening cocktails.

One of my main reasons for doing this is to break the habit of coming home every night and immediately making a vodka tonic and drinking until bedtime. It's become mindless, my tolerance is huge, and although it does not affect my daily life it seems excessive and unhealthy. It hasn't really been an issue without alcohol cravings since I committed to this, which is a relief. I did get a small promotion at work yesterday and would have loved to celebrate with some drinks. Instead I had seltzer water with magnesium and a cup of hibiscus tea with s splash of oj. And it was awesome.

Anyway, thanks for reading and all the support! Have a wonderful day 4, try not to "kill all the things"!

Nice job! I, too, had to quit an alcohol tradition. I'm a big wine drinker and I planned my Whole30 around the season finale of Outlander (haha it sounds funny to say it). Well, I didn't realize the season finale was on May 30th and not May 16th, so I had to watch with NO WINE! Ugh! I love wine, I love everything about it... the warmness, the yeasty aftertaste, the wide variety, the beautiful glasses... everything. But I haven't craved the alcohol, just the taste of a nice chilled riesling. So we're in the same boat... I drink alcohol for tradition, for relaxation, for celebration, but evidently not because I need it. Yay for responsible drinking!

Cornmuffin lets have a virtual toast in 25 days, haha! I plan on adding alcohol back slowly and changing my overall consumption. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous here (CO), we've had a really rainy(snowy!) spring so it was much needed! Normally I would be enjoying cocktails in the sun with a book, but I substituted seltzer water with lemon and frozen blueberries and it was great! I had so much energy and was almost euphorically happy yesterday for some reason (day 4) and can't believe how much better I feel even after these few days, so encouraging. I hope you all are having a good time so far as well, we are one step closer to the end with every healthy meal!

How did everyone's first week go? I feel pretty good and can't wait to see how I feel at the end if I feel this good now.

If you are losing motivation at all I suggest watching Fed Up, it's on Netflix, and was very eye opening and discusses some of the things in It Starts With Food. Also Hungry for Change and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead if you like documentaries.

Oh, and Melissa Hartwig is in my town right now for the GoPro games! So cool, it would be awesome to run into her but is pretty unlikely. I am enjoying her Instagram of some of my favorite spots though!

I'm doing well with staying compliant, but I'm not doing well with the template. I can't stand eating vegetables for breakfast and lunch. I'm just not into it. I keep thinking back to a forum post I read where someone said "Why does food always have to taste good? Why can't people just eat for fuel?" Well, it's hard enough to give up nearly every food I love for 30 days, it's impossible to make myself eat food that I don't even find appetizing just because it's time to eat. So, I've been off template for a few days but staying compliant as far as ingredients and how they're used. I've probably had too much fruit, too, but oh well. At least it's not fermented and in a beautiful crystal glass.

I've had a crappyish day, I burned food in the microwave and filled my house with smoke, my kids are running rampant, and my house is messy and I feel too tired to clean everything. Today is Day 13 for me and all I want to do today is drink wine and eat bread. Ugh!

How are you guys doing?

Good afternoon everyone!!!

May I be part of the "virtual toasting" after we complete the first go-round?  Mmmmmm...vodka tonic...truth be told I love beer and clamato.  But I am not missing it.  This is a good thing.

Today is Day 9 for me!!!  I had breakfast with a friend this morning who said "Michelle, I can really tell you have lost a lot of weight!  What are you doing?"  I told her about the Whole30.  So nice to hear as I have not stepped on that scale and refuse to do so.  I have been a slave to that darn thing for too long!!!

I agree with LisaPT that one of the most important things is to prepare, prepare, prepare.  Soon I will be planning/making my meals for the week.  I made "The Perfect Burger" from the Whole30 recipe book.  DELICIOUS!!  Everything that I have made from that book is DELICIOUS!!  Nomzie!!!

On Wednesday, I will be celebrating my first "cakeless" birthday, then CORNMUFFIN on the 18th.  In the "spirit of cakelessness" I look forward to wishing each other a HAPPY, HEALTHY, NO LONGER BEING CONTROLLED BY UNHEALTHY FOOD AND BY DAILY WEIGH-INS, BIRTHDAY to both of us!!

We can do this, my friends!!  I look forward to our continued journey in this together!! 

Cheers!!

Michelle :)

I had to fight the urge to say "screw it" for dinner tonight and just go out to eat. I mean like almost a physical battle to not grab the keys and go. Instead, my husband went to the store to get stuff to make buffalo chicken wings. He doesn't seem to be suffering through this thing like I am! I'm so desperate to eat a giant flavorful meal that I don't have to prep and cook and clean up after! Argh! I want tortillas and salsa and cheese and chips! I want tacos al carbon!

We've made it through a birthday (my husband's) without cake and a trip to Pike Place Market without cheating. We made it through a family lunch cookout on the river today without cheating. When we got home, tired and full of sun at 5pm, it seemed like an impossible task to create a Whole30 compliant meal. Buuuut, the fire is going on the grill and we are making it happen.

I have to say I really hate food prep. I hate leftovers (except spaghetti a la amalfitano which I will eat for DAYS), I hate reheating stuff, it's just never as good the next day. And I hate cooking. I like baking, but I can't do that. Haha. 

This is not my day! I'm trying so hard not to fall off the wagon tonight but I've seriously had it with this week and I want to melt into the couch with a full tummy, a glass of wine and The Tudors!

Guys... my husband and I failed! We were SO miserable doing this. Grumpy, snapping at each other, I was desperate for food when he was working, too tired to make condiments from scratch so we could make these recipes. Ugh. Fail fail fail. But, we made it two weeks and I lost 6lbs (water weight, I'm sure, but my pants do fit better!). I'm 8.6 pounds away from being at my lightest adult weight yet. We learned a lot doing this and picked up some really good habits. I want to incorporate it into my regular routine (this also making it easier to feed my kids who have rebelled against this whole food deal) and continue to work towards clean, healthy meals with some of my favorites thrown in for my own sanity. I recently amped up my workout routine as I train for a Ragnar relay (I'm running a total of 17.7 miles in 36 hours) plus doing CrossFit on top of it and I'm not finding the energy I need in the afternoon. I'm crashing hard on the couch, falling asleep, dragging. I'm also feeling light-headed constantly (from my heart condition, I suppose) which I am usually able to combat with exercise. I'm simply not getting enough for my heavy workload. If it's possible, my husband was more miserable than I was and he didn't feel any different.

I must clarify that before we started Whole30, we weren't eating poorly. I was on a 1200 calorie diet for a two months and filling most of my meals with veggies and fruits anyway. He was eating even better than I was, except for his coffee creamer. We didn't go from a fast-food diet to Whole30. We went from basically a 80/20 Paleo diet and me a 1200 calorie diet to Whole30. 

I really want to keep checking in here and supporting you guys (if you'll still have me!) and continue to give and get support for healthy recipes and daily struggles. I don't plan on abandoning this. I'm just going to adjust it fit my lifestyle better, especially until Ragnar in the middle of July.

Stick with it, you guys are doing awesome.

Archived