Started June 6th - on day 4

wholejen

Hi, I started June 6th and so am on day 4. So far, so good. I'm cooking more than before. I'm a single parent and haven't included my kids in this yet -- trying to use up all the non-compliant food in the house on them first! I couldn't afford to just get rid of it.  So because of this, my biggest challenges are when I'm cooking in the kitchen, and I'm used to nibbling on everything -- or eating chips and salsa while I cook.  My cravings are not bad, even though I really miss putting food in my mouth whenever I want. haha! I feel really good -- no cramps and gas like before -- and I just feel really "even" during the day...no dips in blood sugar, etc. My food with no brakes is peanut butter. There is none in the house right now and I'm keeping it that way!

Hey Jen! I started mine on June 6 too! I'm glad I started the commitment on a weekend when I had a generous amount of time to spend cooking my first few meals and being relaxed about the W30, because with the long nights I've had since Monday it definitely would have been tough to start on a weekday and feel like this was possible! But I'm already starting to experience an easier time waking up each day, so I'm using the morning more to prep which I never ever would have done before (I've been the person who hits 'snooze' 7 times before waking up at the last possible minute).

I haven't had bad cravings either, but I'm like you in that I'm so used to mindless feeding, that there have been a few times where just impulsively I almost started driving to a fast-foot place or stopping to grab a piece of candy from a co-worker's candy dish, and then had to stop myself and remind my brain, "Wait, you're doing a Whole30!". But as the days have gone on I feel better and better about the length of time in between my meals, and am less anxious when preparing food (as in, less anxious for it to ALL BE IN MY MOUTH, NOW). I've tried to be disciplined and not eat until the entire meal is ready. And sitting down in one place to enjoy it sans distractions is a new thing for me too. But all good things! And I haven't bought any nut butters yet for the same reason - anything that I can mindlessly eat with a spoon is probably not a good idea for me right now!

Anyhow, maybe TMI for one post, but I just wanted to give some support for someone who is on the same schedule as me! I have a feeling that after this first week, it's week 2 that will be hardest for me.

Archived