Anyone start June 14th? Looking for some support

HockeyChick

I started off really well this past week but am now looking for some support in times of need. I haven't told any of my family or friends as I am not quite ready :ph34r:  (over the past years I've always been on some form of special diet that I might have lost credibility now!!) 

Has anyone started on the 14th like me? 

I started 11 June, so we're just a few days apart. I'd be glad to offer some support! My husband (who isn't joining me) knows what I'm doing, but I haven't mentioned it to others as I'd rather not make a big deal of it. How's it going for you?

Cool, thanks! So far so good! Haven't had any of the sugar cravings or headaches that others are complaining of....although to be fair I did do a 28 day sugar/dairy-free stint back in March and have been eating Paleo treats since (honey/maple syrup).  Yesterday, day 6, was the only rough day where I woke up exhausted-too tired to even talk. Today is much better. 

How about you?

Yeah, I haven't had any cravings and was finding that I was feeling pretty good. Unfortunately, I had a setback today that was the result of mindless stupidity: I drank an Emergen-C without even thinking about it, and only realised what I had done sometime later! So, I finished the day with my the compliant dinner that I had planned to make, but will start my counting over tomorrow.

On the whole, I think I've been feeling really good, so I'm actually looking forward to starting over tomorrow! Congratulations on reaching the end of your first week!

I started on the 14th as well.  Like you I haven't had any huge sugar cravings.  I did have a caffeine headache the first 2 days.  Prior to starting I drank about 6 cups of coffee with cream a day.  don't like black coffee so I stopped drinking it altogether.  Today was my most challenging day so far.  I took my niece and nephew to see the new movie Inside Out.  I love movie theatre popcorn with extra butter.  Of course I usually eat so much that I feel like crap afer the movie.  I was so worried that I was going to give in and eat just one piece and then my resolve would be over and I would gobble it all down.  I brought a bottle of water and some carrot sticks. I made it through without caving.

I understand you not wanting to tell anyone because I too have tried and failed many different diets in the past.  However, I did not let it stop me from telling everyone, my family, work, friends.  I tell them its not a diet but that I feel so unhealthy and just want to be healthy.  And every day I tell people at least one thing that is better each day like my energy level or sleeping better.  for me I just try to remember I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm doing this for me and I know I am going to feel so much better in 30 days.  I have never been this motivated with any of the other diet attempts as I have been with this plan.

I hope that you stay motivated and find someone to share with even if you don't want to tell everyone just yet!

Boadicea- it sounds like you have the right attitude! It's amazing how we are on autopilot pre-W30 and just grab anything and that can carry through when you start the W30. Similarly, I did that the other day with a product but it ended up being compliant. I hope you have a great start :) 

VIP1964 - you make a good point and I am realizing that I shouldn't be embarrassed or overly concerned about what people think of me. This is one hurdle that I need to get over. It has been with me for a long time. In the meantime, I do have one supporter: my husband. I did tell him and he is super supportive. He knows how I've been feeling over the past few years so he understands the purpose of me wanting to do it firsthand (I am hoping no more mood swings and crazy bouts of anxiety are to come!)

Thanks for the support! Bring on Day 9!!

Good job making it through the film, vlp1964! The smell of the movie popcorn is usually so overwhelming, I feel like I have eaten some just by walking through the theatre. I'm not an every day coffee or tea drinker, but I prefer it with milk, so I also find it easier to just pass and to have something else. Congratulations on getting past the caffein headaches!

So I'm back on track today and feeling great!

Just checking back in to see how it's going.  Still sticking with it and on track?  I am working on Day 11 and energy level is really starting to kick in and I have completely stopped taking my heartburn medicine for 5 days now.  Doctor had said I would have to take it the rest of my life.  It's simply amazing how changing your food habit can cure so many ailments.

Hope you are doing well!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my Gosh, I just came across this post. I am new to blogging so don't know how to check new messages!

It is almost 2 weeks since you wrote that message and I am doing well. I've survived through dinners at friends' houses, family dinners, a wedding anniversary party in a hall and (hopefully) a camping trip this weekend. Cooking at home is a no-brainer for me as my husband and I would always cook healthy meals. For me the biggest challenge has been eating out but thankfully I am now equipped with a go-to meal whenever we eat at restaurants. 

Otherwise, my energy levels aren't that great- to my dismay... I am still feeling low energy so I am going to get that checked out. There are some competing factors as well that might explain that so I am not too worried-plus I think it might take a bit longer for my energy levels to get back up since I was fueling my body with cortisol and sugar for the longest time!  -_-

How are you doing boadicea? 

Doing reall good HockeyChick.  Happy for you that you are able to eat out at friends and events and stick with it.  I have only gone to a restaurant once.  I myself stuck with it by having a salad and bringing compliant salad dressing from home.  But it wasnt easy sitting at the table when they brought the other's in my party the best smelling onion rings for an appetizer.  Probably not going to try that again for a while.  Hope you have a great time during your camping trip.  Bring lots of vegy's to munch on!

No worries, HockeyChick; glad things are going well! I haven't had to make many changes for home cooking either; mostly those are simply changes to eliminate something (like beans) from my repertoire, and I have to remind myself not to taste the dishes I'm making just for my husband, who isn't participating. I've also found that eating out is not much of a problem as one can generally find something plain.

I've found that my energy levels are just a wee bit mercurial, but that may have more to do with the summer heat than with food. I've also begun thinking about re-entry into the wider world of food, and that's brought my thinking around to various aspects of my relationship with food.

Glad you're still with us!

Archived