Fatty liver and meal size

Hi there.

There is an earlier topic about this but its very general and doesn't go into much detail about experiences of actually undertaking the Whole30 program if you have a fatty liver. I've read the books and getting organised to start. I had an ultrasound recently that showed a fatty liver. While I wait for drs advice, I did some research and while it looks like Whole30 would be an excellent nutrition plan to follow I also read that large meals can be hard on the liver when its not at its best. The three meals seem rather large? Anyone with any experiences of this nature?

"Poor Nutrition and Starvation – Not eating a healthy diet or enough food in general can cause you to develop liver disease. So, even if you are conscientious now about observing healthy eating habits, if you binge dieted in the past or were anorexic and/or bulimic, you might develop Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease later in life.

If you went on a fast or crash diet recently, your body’s “starvation mode” can trigger the disease as well, since your liver thinks a famine is happening, and accumulates more fat when you don’t eat enough."

"Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) the fat that accumulates can cause inflammation and scarring in the liver. This more serious form of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is sometimes called nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. In its most severe form, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can progress to liver failure. Among people with eating disorders, prolonged fasting and excessive caloric intake, such as during binge eating, can lead to nonalcoholic steatosis.

Fifty-four percent of patients with binge eating disorder had a greater than 85% risk of NAFLD. The FLI and GGT were significant lower after the patients completed treatment. Four of the 8 subscales of the EDI, drive for thinness, interoceptive awareness, bulimia, and ineffectiveness, improved after multidisciplinary treatment.

The association between NAFLD and eating disorders was clear, and that an interdisciplinary treatment approach reduced the risk of NAFLD in their patient group. They also stressed that while therapy did reduce the risks, patients with eating disorders should be regularly monitored well after treatment ends."

Like This

MeadowLily's PhotoMeadowLily

13 Jun 2015

Archived