June 29 Starting Date Post W30 Log

Bronwyn

I figured I would start a Post-W30 log for the lovely women in the June 29 start date thread where we can chat about reintroductions, how we're doing, etc.

They were such a great joy and help during the past 30 days, I want to continue that beyond.

Hi everyone :)

I made my first reintroduction last night, 4 oz of organic red wine with a grilled pork chop and cabbage apple slaw.  Boy, it did not go as well as I had hoped for. I immediately felt cloudy, light-headed, and 30 minutes later... completely exhausted. I fell asleep in my clothes and makeup around 8 p.m. for a "nap" and woke up today at 6, if that's any indication of how well it went for me. Yikes!

My fiance had a glass of white wine and other than feeling a little woozy had no other visible side effects. I almost wonder if it's red wine, since it contains a higher level of tannins than white wine? I won't be reintroducing that for a little while.

I now know that wine is "special occasions only". Maybe next time I won't choose a red.

I introduced flour yesterday. I had 1 and a half pancakes in the morning and maybe like 10 mins later I felt gassy achy and bloated. It was terrible. I was afraid to try anything else with flour.

Bronwyn I'm a little afraid to reintroduce alcohol! Just cause I know my tolerance is so low. But I'm waiting for a real hot day to drink a beer.

Okay, so I had the wine last night and not only did it give me a headache...it actually didn't taste that great.  So, I had that with a veal chop, some spinach with mushrooms and artichokes.  Very good.  

This morning I did not eat breakfast right away because I went out paddle boarding on the lake (Lake Michigan) with some gal pals at 5:45am!  My first time and I did not fall in the lake!  I thought it was an intro to paddle boarding class but it turned out to be an actual exercise on your board in the water class...I just laughed and said I would just practice standing up and kneeling down while everyone else did their workout.  I actually did manage a couple of planks though.  Fun and a beautiful morning.  

Being able to do these kinds of activities at 55 and as I get older is my motivation for staying (kind of) fit.  It's also a good Whole 9 motivator.  Spinach and eggs for breakfast.  It's nice to be on the other side of the whole 30.  Off to start my day!

Paddle boarding sounds so lovely! Was it very difficult? It's something that's been on the ol' bucket list for a while.

Sorry to hear about both of your reactions :( Another reaction to the wine I am noticing today is that my nose is much drippier today and I experienced a bit of burping / acid reflux.

I am really not looking forward to reintroducing gluten and dairy, but because of the trip I'm taking I feel like I "have to". Just so I know what to expect if I choose to eat something with either of those things, or if I experience cross-contamination. Better to get sick at home than on vacation, I guess?

On Saturday, I am reintroducing legumes. Planning on trying peanut butter, and possibly beans. Fingers crossed!

Hi all, I have paddle boarded. My biggest challenge is getting the courage to go from kneeling to standing. The first time, I was visiting family in So Cal, and we were out for about two hours. By my reckoning, I stood 5 times and knelt for at least an hour and a half. I fell in once, but my hip flexors got worked so hard that I climbed stairs like a crab for several days. But I really like it, it just is too much of a faff to wetsuit up to do it here in England. That said, when my dog Ralph was younger, I used to wetsuit up and throw myself into a quarry so he could rescue me.

Am babbling because I haven't reintroduced anything yet, was thinking I could try wine or non-gluten grains tomorrow so that any fallout would happen on the weekend. But I may chicken out.

I am not reintroducing dairy, or wheat as I know they hurt me.

Am exhausted, but a misplaced black coffee late afternoon is messing me up. Today was high pressured but felt better able to cope ..

Cheers to all and to all a good night!

Hi all! Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

I introduced a little bit of dairy today. I spent a cool 6 hours with my fiance in the hospital after he got hit by a car on his bike. He is okay and escaped mostly unscathed, thankfully! Just incredibly sore. When we got out, we had a little bit of ice cream from McDonald's. I found that it was way too sweet and only ate about a quarter of it. Something I never, ever would have done pre-W30. 

I also had a half slice of Havarti cheese. I noticed that the wet cough and stuffy nose came back soon after, a bit of bloating, and I was burping like crazy. I wonder if goat's milk cheese will do the same to me, but I'm not really in a rush to introduce it just yet. 

I am not sure I'm going to bother introducing gluten because I know it makes me feel rotten. Planning on introducing non-gluten grains next week, though. 

I spent a cool 6 hours with my fiance in the hospital after he got hit by a car on his bike. He is okay and escaped mostly unscathed, thankfully! Just incredibly sore.

So scary, I am so glad that he wasn't hurt worse. I hope the recovery is swift.

Interesting about the newfound ability to reject food that isn't tasty, I have some of those new muscles myself. Whereas prior to last month, I was a finisher -

Anyway, reintroduced non gluten grains, wanted to start with m1 but my oats were not gluten free. So had corn at lunch and at dinner. It was a crazy day, my godson had asked to host a barbecue at mine near the pool with several of his friends camping in the garden. It was not til Friday night that I got told how many and that I was expected to attend. So Saturday was mad with panicked shopping and clearing. They were in charge of the cooking, but I assumed a late afternoon start. In fact people started arriving at 1. Thank goodness, our weather co-operated with a lovely day.

I had to chase out to visit a friend's Mum who had fallen in her nursing home so I could report ( they are away) and by the time I got back the quinoa salad I had planned was a non-starter as the kitchen was a no go area. It was fun to hang with the kids and I went to stay with a friend so they could party on.

So will probably do another, more scopey reintro of non gluten grains after my 3 days of clean.

Hope you all have a lovely Sunday

Thanks McNix! He's doing much better. It definitely could have been a lot worse. Is definitely putting some things into perspective for me. I am sorry to hear about your friend's Mom falling. Hope she's feeling much better.

I haven't introduced anything else over the weekend. Taking it slow. I did make two "SWYPO" foods: coconut milk popsicles because it is hot as heck right now, and a fried chicken sandwich from Paleo Takeout. They were paleo compliant (grain free, dairy free, legume free), but not strict Whole 30. Still maintaining that balance of protein, fat, and veggies though. Sugar dragon is still under control! 

Going to try non-gluten grains at some point during the week. I have my eyes on an overnight oats recipe that looks incredible. Maybe a nice Saturday morning breakfast or lunch. I am going to go light on the maple syrup though. I find it to be incredibly sweet now that my taste buds have adjusted. http://ohsheglows.com/2015/07/30/coconut-cardamom-vegan-overnight-oat-parfait-with-blueberry-chia-seed-jam/

Hope you're all doing great! 

I have just gotten over my non gluten grains reinto on Saturday, it left me bloated and flatulent. Returning to w30 was like finding shelter on a stormy day.

I did some boxing this morning and my trainer was impressed with my improved speed and stamina. So that was nice to hear. I was a bit draggy today, I did sleep long enough but it was broken letting Ralph (the dog) in and out and in and out as he wouldnot settle.

It did occur to me that during the first w30, I had weeks where I struggled to get the optimum sleep. Gonna work on that during my very slow roll.

Bronwyn, that breakfast looks amazing!

It does, doesn't it! I have yet to try it, but thinking that Saturday is a non-gluten grains day. I am thinking Corn tortillas, buckwheat, and those lovely looking overnight oats. There is a quirky little area in Toronto called Kensington Market I am going to on Saturday for lunch at this place called "Hibiscus". Gluten free / vegetarian buckwheat crepes that look to die for. 

Planning on doing another W30 after vacation! :)

I tried a smoothie this morning with my usual protein powder because I was in a rush:

• 1 scoop of Vega One Vanilla protein powder (it's very clean, dairy free, but has pea protein and stevia)
  • 1 generous handful of spinach
  • 1 cup of homemade cashew milk
  • 1/2 an avocado
  • cinnamon
  • 1/2 tbsp of cacao
  • 1 cup of frozen berries

I was worried it would make me exhausted, but honestly, it kept me full from 8:30 until 1:00 when I ate lunch. No bloating, no crash, nothing. I had a solid bike ride to work and didn't feel heavy or tired at all. Feeling a bit impressed, because I was anticipating the worst. I will not be drinking smoothies 5 days a week any more, but I think once a week would be perfect for me. Smoothie Fridays, maybe? Who knows.

The smoothie sounds great, I have hemp powder with no sugar, and have been wanting to use it for pre training session which happen from 7-8:30 twice each week. Guess that it is part of figuring out how to ride my own bike. My smoothie history is pretty good as they always held me til lunchtime.

Tomorrow I will be having non gluten grains, still haven't added back wine. Will work up to that.

Did a bit of off-roading this weekend: Tried sushi one day and GF pizza the previous day. Both didn't go so well. The rice made me incredibly moody and it felt like I was burping up acid, a lot. The cheese on the pizza made my stomach hurt. I haven't really been "regular" since. I haven't noticed any changes in my complexion, which I was worried about. 

Back to Whole30 for the next week before my trip, I think. I've made a great meal plan for the week ahead, and groceries are done! 

Bronwyn, have you noticed how nice it is to feel really good? I have, the glutin free grains left me with a headache and lots of gas. Haven't tried dairy, as before 29 june I had lots of vague aches, and catarrh and gas and I dont have them now. Will try wine next but will w30 until next weekend.

I have been pressed for time and my menus are getting a bit ' samey' so if you find anything really tasty, let me know. I like my salads but need to fuss a bit more. Have tried a few of nom nom paleo's recipes. And this is the Week I make mayo.

Xx

I really have! Trying the foods that I thought didn't really effect me so much and having such negative effects really freaked me out. It's Monday morning and my stomach is still gurgling from the weekend. Planning on having a night out on Friday and trying some sparkling wine. Fingers crossed!

In terms of good eats, I love Diane Sanfillipo's recipes (www.balancedbites.com). They are simple and flavourful. I am making her chicken wings tonight (http://balancedbites.com/2014/05/easy-recipe-chicken-wings-two-ways-plus-5-additional-recipes.html) with a bit of salad. I got her book "Practical Paleo" from Amazon and it was a great buy.

Other sites I like:

Good luck with your mayo! :)

Mayo tomorrow, I had a ripe avocado that was ready so lunch was mashed avocado, lime juice and a tablespoon of coconut milk, salt and pepper into which I threw some shrimp. Ate them on whole little gem leaves, and chopped tomatoes.

I see I am still using old terms for m1,2, and 3! That said, I am way more flexible about what goes on the plate at m1 than I was before June 29th. Before then it was protein shake, with banana and blueberry and protein powder and unsweetened almond milk. Now I have protein and veggie bonanzas .

I found some paleo wraps made entirely out of cocnut. They are very dear but in an emergency for portability they are really lovely. We don't get the variety of special paleo products here but I have a super easy time getting ahold of organic meat, and no pesticide veggies. And as they say, it starts with food....xx

A few more compliant content days under my belt and some slow cooker pork, apple, leek and onion going into the freezer in meal size bags is telling me what I already knew, I dont really want to reintroduce much. Am going to tweak portion sizes, as I think that when I am in a hurry I grab a fist sized sweet potato - nuke it for 3 mins and grab some portable protein such as a couple of roasted skinless chicken thighs and roll. No savouring, no silverware. Wrong, wrong, wrong! But somedays necessary.

Cant really figure it out, but as a lifelong fat person carving out midday meal times is incredibly difficult, as if the need to feed is embarrassing...

What is worse is I am retired and reasonably in charge of my schedule. I gym in the mornings mostly, then do various volunteer activities. Monday is a full day at an advice bureau, tues-fri afternoons are spent helping vulnerable people in various ways. And of course there is Ralph the dog with his own demands...

I am going to reread ISWF and see if I can adhere to the ethos, as well as the food lists before trying to add anything else in.

• 2 weeks later...

The pork, apple, leek and onion meal sounds absolutely delicious. Do you have a recipe? I have been MIA for a few weeks on my vacation. It went okay. I managed to have a few compliant meals and stayed in an apartment with a fridge so i was able to make a lot of breakfasts (eggs, spinach, salsa, guacamole). I ate at a few lovely farm-to-table restaurants that I can highly recommend to anyone living or visitng the Halifax area (Brooklyn Warehouse, Chives Bistro, Agricola Street Brasserie). Halifax has a lot of vegan restaurants (The Wild Leek, En Vie, Heartwood, Fruition) so I was able to stock up on my veggies for some meals at the very least. 

I had a very hard time avoiding dairy so I ended up buying Lactaid pills to ease the digestive distress I was experiencing (burping, soooo much burping). I went a bit overboard on the sugar, cocktails, and gluten, and I really am not feeling my best. But you know what? I rarely vacation, and most things (at the time) seemed worth it. That said, I am starting a second round of Whole30 tomorrow with my fiance again. 

I was honestly expecting vacation to be really relaxing, but I think after a week I need a vacation from my vacation. It's really hard to stay compliant 24-7 when you are on the go all day, eating most of your meals at restaurants. In the grand scheme of things, one week of iffy eating isn't going to get me down. I did what I could, and I am moving forward. I don't consider this a failure, but a lesson going forward.

I felt a bit crappy near the end. Really bloated, foggy headed, and like general garbage. I got ill on the plane home, and have been having acid reflux since. Knowing that I could go back to Whole30 as soon as I returned home was the light at the end of the tunnel. I have my first seven days of meals all planned out for next week, and I could not be more excited to get back on track! 

I tried a second round a day after returning for vacation and consciously decided to stop 7 days in. I think less than a month between a strict Whole30 is too much for me. I noticed that the 7 days of strict W30 eating got me right back on track, so I feel good to "ride my own bike" right now. You know, I like a little bit of pure maple syrup now and again on the weekends. So sue me! :P

NSV's. Clothes are loose. I fit in my faux leather jacket I haven't been able to wear in 3 years and nearly cried. I really feel like myself again.

How are you doing, McNix?

Hi Bronwyn,

Great to hear from you, and I love the NSV's. I have settled into a reasonable routine, sticking to compliant foods for everyday. My weight is stuck but I feel well. I have tried non- gluten grains and been okay. But I have only had them twice since the end of the w30. I had a glass of red last Saturday night with dinner, it was nice, and no ill effects.

I have varied my workouts, trying to step up the intensity as my weight is not really budging. I look leaner and my jeans fit better. I was hoping for a kickstart to my thyroid, but think I will have to take thyroid to get it. One of my sisters has Hashi's and is medicated in the US, but here they say I am borderline.

I do feel better and my big cheats have been trying some of the swypo foods. Not so bad- I dont find them amazing ( except for frozen blueberries with Coconut Milk) as a very occasional desert. In the UK it is tough to find much in the way of specialty foods, but the upside is that we have more low miles - fresh from the fields stuff available with a short bike ride.

Nancy

• 1 month later...

Archived