Bethany's Latest 30

Bethany Gingerich

Day -1

OK, it's been awhile, but I've done a few Whole30s before, with spectacular results, and I'm excited to do another one!  Previous successes have included eliminating artificial sweeteners permanently, learning to drink my beloved coffee black, and discovering the effects of grains, sugar and dairy on my body:  not so good!  Also learning I can live without my delicious red wine!  At least for a month!  

Starting this one Monday, August 17.  So tomorrow I need to get some grocery shopping done and get my mindset right!  I know how good this is for me and I'm ready to go.  Ready for that sweet sleep, lack of anxiety, and all-around good feeling I get from this awesome plan!  

I like to set a fitness/workout goal in addition to the eating plan of my Whole30, so this one is:  Either yoga or a CrossFit class each of the 30 days!  There may be a few weekend days where, due to work, I can't make a class, so if that happens, I have a preplanned workout I do at home that day.

Other goals:  

Avoid eating out.  I have never gone 30 days without eating out before (in my adult life).  I feel like that is doable this time. I work close to home, and eating out is such a pain anyway on this plan, not to mention expensive, so I just want to avoid it.

Food plan for the first day:  Get some chicken breasts and prepare them so I have a protein source all the time,  and have that and poached eggs and veggies for breakfast/lunch the first day.  For dinner the first day, I'm going to make the pork roast recipe from Well Fed.  (Maybe Well Fed 2? One of those.) And veggies.  Need to hit the farmer's market for a nice veggie stash. It's so nice doing this for NOT the first time!  

Hopefully some others are starting Monday too!  Always a new challenge each time, so we can keep each other going! :)

Day 1 is here!  Just woke up (I'm in Hawaii, so way behind many of you)!

Considering I got off work at 10:45 last night, I feel pretty prepared.  Pork roast just went in the slow cooker and will be awesome for dinner tonight and leftovers later.  Need to boil eggs and hit the farmer's market, and I got some chicken breasts to prepare to keep in the fridge for easy grabbing.  

I definitely don't track every bite, but I do like to make note of things I had that were particularly good so I can remember them, because otherwise I forget and never make them again!  I'm also challenging myself to either do yoga or CrossFit every day of this 30, so I'll be recording my exercise here too.

Ready to go!  I need to browse around and see who else is starting today!  

Day 4 already!  So far so good. I've eaten a lot of good stuff:  pork roast from Well Fed, the curry chicken recipe from Well Fed, steak, and other goodies.  Having a little trouble getting enough fat. I need to find some good avocados today.  

Fitness so far:  CrossFit Monday, yoga Tuesday, Crossfit yesterday, and tonight will be yoga.  

I always have a "hangover" on day 4-5ish, and definitely feeling it today.   A little sleepy and foggy, but nothing I can't handle.  

BTW, my boyfriend is loosely following the plan with me, and he's lost 6 lbs! LOL!  Guys!  I do feel leaner though, but probably not by 6 lbs!  I don't weight myself even normally, so staying off the scale is no problem for me.

Day 6!  Heading to hot yoga soon.  I still feel a little cloudy this morning, but I'm sleeping great.  Dreamed I went out for nachos and beer last night!  Not doing that, but it would be fun!   :)  I have a full day off with the bf today, which doesn't happen super often, and we're going to the beach.  Going to marinade some wings for dinner, and tomorrow I'm making the Well Fed pork roast again, since we destroyed the last one in about 2 days, ha!

Last night we had this:

http://thedomesticman.com/2013/09/24/karniyarik-turkish-stuffed-eggplant/

And it was absolutely delicious! I ate an embarrassing amount, after coming home starving from work. I work at a restaurant at night right now and this is my first W30 where that is the case, and it presents its own set of challenges, to say the least.  

OK!  Happy Saturday!!

CrossFit today!  Felt great, which for me in the morning is a victory!  The food thing has been great the last few days.  That stuffed eggplant was so delicious that I was desperately craving it again yesterday, so we changed it up a little and made it again, and I just finished the leftovers for breakfast! TRY that recipe, anyone reading this! I had better luck slicing the eggplants in cross sections and just putting the meat mixture over that and baking it.  More bang for the buck out of the eggplants.  And I added more jalapeños, because SPICE.  

So that is one week officially down on the workout front.  I've just alternated Crossfit, yoga, all week.  Feeling good about that.  Gotta finish up today before I can check off a full week of W30.  Not bad!  Got my lunch packed and dinner planned.  Working all day, which makes this easier for me for some reason.

Happy Day Whatever You're On! :)

End of Day 7....craving a glass of wine, or SOMETHING, ha!  It's like I want something that's not allowed, whatever that may be!  But I'm proud to have come this far.  My work schedule is completely different than it was on my previous W30s.  I work at a restaurant too, which was not the case before.  I really have to be aware of making sure I'm fed and satisfied before going to work.  There is naughty food lying around the entire time.  As long as I'm full and content, I don't want it.  

Anyway, just popping in to celebrate the end of the first week!  Tomorrow will be either CrossFit (if the beau wants to go) or yoga.

Archived