Starting my first Whole 30!

Mitso874

I just joined and started my Whole30 yesterday. I have Celiac disease and was starting to go overboard on overly processed, sugar loaded gluten free foods (like breads, pies, cookies, etc). I have a pretty strong sugar addiction so the last day and a half has been pretty hard for me. The hardest part is not being able to have sugar or milk in my morning tea... Black tea is very comforting to me but I can't stand it without milk and sugar. I'm in the process of trying it with different "milks" to see if anything works for me. Aside from that, I'm very excited to work towards improving my health! Hopefully it'll help me have more energy so I can get more workouts in and lose some inches as well as gain more muscle! :-)

So currently I have the following issues that I hope the whole 30 may helps a little:
bloating

sugar addiction

joint pain

fatigue

sleeping badly (waking up a lot and not feeling rested in the morning)
brain fog

fat that just wont go away

Let's see what happens!!! :-)

Let's see what happens!!! :-)

Hi Mitso874, We've started another thread for 01-12-1016 if you care to join us. I would be curious to know how your experience goes. My 24 yo daughter is a celiac, so I'm familiar with your plight, and would like to see how your body reacts to this diet. My daughter did W30 over the summer had a pretty good experience. I did this one year ago and had some good results: you mention joint pain. Last year when I did W30 I was suffering from Plantar Fasciitis - a running ailment - and the diet mostly relieved the pain, and I was actively training for a marathon at the time of the diet. As far as Sleeping badly, that may or may not improve for you. I do not sleep well on this diet, but I think part of that comes from my body and mind being clear and awake. You may want to try a bedtime tea or supplement to help with that. Sugar addiction is probably the most difficult thing to break on W30, especially if you were a heavy user prior to the plan. The best fix, but be sure not to over indulge, are dates and bananas. Sugar is actually a sleep aid for me, so I'll eat a banana before bed. The downside is that I'm likely to feel groggy in the morning for it. See what works for you. Brain fog may come and go for you as your body adjusts, but ultimately I believe eating clean will lift your fog once you've put in a couple weeks. Oh, and the fat will go away like you've never seen before. You may not see a big change on the scale, but you will see a change in the mirror - so I encourage you to take before photos if you haven't already. I didn't take photos the last time because I am not overweight, but I wished I had when done because my body composition was noticeably different when done - - I lost 9 pounds; my wife lost 6, but her body composition suggested greater weight loss. Good luck to you, and come on over to the thread: 01-16-2016 Start Date  ~dfox

Thanks! I will search for the thread now! It'll be great to have some people who started with me. :-) I'm glad to hear you and your Celiac daughter did well on this diet, I'm a little skeptical (I'm always skeptical about  pretty much everything before I try it) but very hopeful!  I'm glad you mentioned that some of your pain from Plantar Fasciitis went away, that gives me hope as I am also trying to train for a run (just a half marathon, not a full). My joints have been making it hard to train so I haven't run more than a few miles straight in almost a year :-( But I also have nerve entrapment issues with my heels/ankles so that has been slowing me down too.
I do have some photos I took a couple months ago before I started working out more, not much has changed since then so I plan to use those as my before photos. I'm not overweight by any means, but I have been noticeably gaining weight and exercise is no longer enough for me to maintain my weight. everyone in my family were very thin and fit when they were younger, but about 30 (my age) they started gaining weight and couldn't stop no matter what they did. Now most of my family is over weight or morbidly obese. I just don't want to get to that point so this is an attempt to improve my future! :-)
Thank you for responding and I look forward to chatting with you and other 1-12-2016 starters! :-)

Archived