tunibell's Whole30 Lifestyle Log

tunibell

Day 33 - The New Start Line

About me: I am a 41-year old mother of two looking to improve my health and avoid the family legacy of obesity and diabetes. I have psoriasis (historically very mild and currently in total remission) and celiac disease, both of which put me at increased risk for further autoimmune issues. I have extensive environmental allergies (for which I will soon be receiving allergy shots) and a history of annoying sinus issues.

I completed my first Whole30 in January, which brought me significantly closer to my goals. I am also participating in the Whole Life Challenge, which runs from January 16-March 11. It's basically the same program, but legumes are allowed, and there is room for the occasional indulgence. That's the framework I will be following until the WLC concludes.

Here's my new starting line quantitative data:

Post-Whole30 Starting Measurements

Weight: 129.4 (-5.3)

Upper Arm: 11.5" (-.5")

Bust: 37" (-2.5")

Abdomen: 31" (-2.5")

Natural Waist: 29" (-2.0")

Hips: 37" (-1.5")

Upper Thighs: 22"/L, 22.5"/R (-1.0"/-1.0")

I've been thinking a lot about it over the past two days, and I've decided that I'm not yet ready to establish any finish line goals. I think that will be an evolving process. I do, however, really like the idea of proceeding one month at a time. At the beginning of my January Whole30, I did a SWOT analysis and found the exercise really useful. So here we go again, for Month 2:

Strengths

• ​I've been living this lifestyle for over 30 days, and I've got some forward momentum going.
  • I've seen encouraging results, both scale and non-scale, that will keep me on track.
  • I have a strong support network.

Weaknesses

• ​I struggle with patience. I was actually a little disappointed that I "only" lost 5.3 lbs during my Whole30.

Opportunities

• Now that I am comfortable with the program basics, how can I augment it for greater success. Hint: I'm thinking vegetable intake goals.
  • The scale and a measuring tape are now available to me whenever I chose. How can I use this feedback to keep me moving forward?
  • Building successful, sustainable change involves focusing on bright spots and replicating them...which of my most successful "non-scale victories" can I build upon?

Threats

• Valentine's Day
  • Possible mini-travel over February break means increased meal-planning difficulties.
  • Slower loss rates and plateaus. Experience has taught me that the most dramatic results generally come at the beginning of a weight loss program. 

Here are my If/Thens...

If I find my patience waning...I will meditate for at least 5 minutes on all of my successes so far. 

If I travel this month...I will research and plan my meals ahead of time.

If I do something special for Valentine's Day...I will stay within my WLC indulgence points.

With this information, here is my plan for February:

1. I will continue with most of the Whole30 guidelines, but I will allow myself indulgences as my WLC points permit. I may or may not re-introduce legumes, and I will establish some sort of metric for vegetable intake (TBD).
  2. I will continue to run three times a week, bike twice a week, and lift weights four times a week. I will fit in Pilates and yoga when I can.
  3. I will continue to take excellent care of myself by doing the following: getting 8 hours of sleep per night, waking up early for me/alone time, taking care of my appearance (hair cuts, skin care, dental care, etc)
  4. I will continue to reward and support myself in non-food/drink ways: massages, meditation classes, new clothes, etc.
  5. I will set my numerical target for the month at...(thoroughly explored in next post)

Day 33 (cont) - Working Toward a Numerical Goal

Here's the question: what is a sensible weight target for me?

Thanks to technology (and frequent doctor appointments) I have over five years of data on my weight, which has ranged from 117-147.

Generally speaking, my home-scale weight (the one I consider "official") is about 5 lbs less, since I'm generally taking it naked and first thing in the morning. Therefore, my weight has ranged from 112-142 over a five-year period.

Basic weight charts generally use your height and sex to calculate weight ranges that are considered healthy. Here's where things get interesting...during this time period, I was also measured, and my height ranged from 5'.025" to 5'1". A nice reminder that posture matters. 

More sophisticated weight charts factor in your frame size using your wrist measurement. Here's what I get:

My wrist measurement (circumference just above the wrist bone) is 14.4 cm. According to this site, I have a medium frame. Factoring in my height range and my frame size, various charts put my healthy weight range as 113-129.

My weight on my scale this morning was 129.5. My next big goal is to get to a home-scale number that my doctor's scale would consider healthy: 124. I am choosing this number because it puts my home weight a safe margin away from the top of the healthy range. 

Do I think I can lose 5.5 lbs this month? Probably not. I think this goal might be more of a 6 week goal, which would make it my end goal for the WLC. I'm going to set February's target as two-thirds of this number, and say that I would like to lose 3.7 lbs this month. My February target is 125.8.

Day 37 - Thinking (and Drinking) Ahead

It's Saturday, and I'm gearing up to run 5 miles this morning. Usually, I do my long run on Sundays, but I *might* decide to have a glass of wine tonight, so I am preemptively protecting my right to sleep in tomorrow morning.

I've been checking in with the scale semi-daily, and seeing it bounce around in its usual way...yesterday I was 128.5, today 129. I'm not attaching any significance to a particular number, and I in no imagine that the difference is because of a "good" day or a "bad day." Weight fluctuates, and there are so many factors involved. 

If I do decide to have a glass of wine tonight, I am establishing a new rule for drinking: one full glass of water before, one full glass of water afterward. 

I am now solidly and comfortably into a size 6. I think my ultimate goal is to fit into a size 4, but we'll see. 

Day 40 - Sputtering Engine

I had my glass of wine on Saturday, preceded and followed by lots of water. It was delicious, but my sleep definitely suffered, and I was reminded of all the benefits of cutting way back on alcohol. I'm not planning on drinking again until Valentine's day (I've got a really great bottle of sparkling rose in the fridge and Monday is a holiday!)

My weight loss has stalled a bit, and this morning I'm feeling a little downcast about that. I don't mind the fluctuation, but I'd love to be seeing a new range. This might mean I take a scale break, or it might mean I need to tweak a few things here and there diet-wise. I'm thinking no nuts, dried fruit, or scale until Sunday morning (the mid-point of the month).

Day 47 - Regrouping

On Sunday, I had my body composition analyzed by hydrostatic means. Very interesting. I clocked in at 129 lbs and 30.25% body fat. The analyst that I worked with felt that, given my height and curvy [read: comically large breasted] body type, I should be aiming for a ceiling of 28% body fat, which would be 125 lbs, right in line with my current short-term goal. My goal weight for "ideal body fat" of 22% would be 115.3.

The scale is still stuck, as it has been for two weeks, on 129, give or take a pound in either direction. Instead of getting discouraged, I'm thinking very strategically about what I can do to sustainably (key word there) get the ball rolling again. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Continue with the no nuts, no dried fruit policy. Sadly, this change yielded little in the way of results last week, but perhaps I have not given the strategy enough time.

2. Add more low-impact activity. I've decided to swap out my two 30 minute biking sessions, which I loathe, for lots of walking or hiking, which I enjoy. 

3. Easy on the olive oil.  I've been pouring this puppy with a heavy hand. Time to trade some of it in for less processed, whole-food sources of fat.

4. Take probiotics and digestive enzymes. While I've been great about taking my fish oil, zinc, and Vitamin D every night, I've been less good at remembering to take these two, which are important given my celiac-compromised intestinal track. I want to make it easier for my body to get what it needs from my food. Timing has been my big issue for the probiotic. I think I need to add it to my nightly regimen (even though it comes from the fridge, and not a bedside pill box like the others). The enzymes can sit at my seat at our table.

5. Something green at every meal.

6. Focus more on strength training. I want to really improve my basics. (Excellent post on that here).

The chances of me getting to 125.8 by February 29th are remote, but not impossible. Let's do this!

Day 52 - Closing Out February Strong

Thanks, ThyPeace!

I just returned from a 4-day mini vacation. I used up all 7 of my banked "indulgence" points, and I'm very proud of how I used them. I ate clean the vast majority of the time (no small feat when on vacation) and used them only for wine and special treats (GF tiramisu!!!)

I clocked in this morning at 128.1, which is the lowest number I've seen so far. While I doubt I can shave off 2.3 lbs this week in order to reach my February goal, I think I can put a dent in that number if I follow my guidelines above and making sure that this week's menus include lots of salads and soups. 

Onward!

Keep it up!  You're doing a great job.  Just keep going -- every decision in the moment adds up to getting you there, and the most important part is just to get yourself into the right environment.  You're doing a great job of that!

ThyPeace, to exercise, first get out of bed...

Day 59 - A Stone Cold Bummer of a Month

End of February

Weight: 130.3 (.9)

Upper Arm: 11.5" (0")

Bust: 37" (0")

Abdomen: 31" (0")

Natural Waist: 29" (0")

Hips: 37" (0")

Upper Thighs: 22"/L, 22.5"/R (0"/0")

I'm ending the month in roughly the same place as I started it. That's frustrating. Also, during yesterday's run, I felt a flare up of the plantar fasciitis that plagued me last year and totally derailed my running. I'm feeling very disappointed, and I think I'm just going to sit with that feeling today. 

Archived