GK's Post Whole 30 Log

Georgia Kaye

Day 31

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Well, it's day 31. 

Of course the first thing I did was jump on the scale.  I'm a very slow loser, and at the beginning of my Whole 30 I expected I'd lose about five pounds, and I was right:  5.2.  When I consider that I didn't exercise regularly until the last two days, and was never hungry the entire time, I guess that's a pretty good result.  I'm considering continuing for another two days, until Friday, when we have big plans which will definitely involve at least one restaurant meal with wine.

For breakfast I made hash browns with prosciutto, heated up some of the leftover roasted veggies from last night, and topped them with three eggs.  Compliant so far.  However, when I opened the fridge, I saw the leftover chicken and remembered my plan for chicken marsala for this evening's dinner, and will probably go ahead and have that.  Dinner will be compliant otherwise;  the chicken will contain half a cup of marsala, and about a tablespoon each of whole butter and flour to thicken the sauce.  I realize this isn't a proper reintroduction, but since my Whole 30 didn't really solve any of my digestive issues, I don't think that they're actually related to the foods I eliminated.  That's a bit disappointing, but now that I know those foods aren't particularly good for me anyway, I'll minimize their role in my day-to-day diet, whether I'm doing a true Whole 30 or not.

And even before lunch, the plan changed.  Hubby wants to go to the movies this afternoon, and the way the timing is, we'll be eating dinner out.  I'll probably have a glass of wine and the most compliant meal I can find.

I postponed my walk a little this morning as the wind chill was below 20.  It was all the way up to 24 when I went out.

I'm sticking with my tuna ceviche for lunch.  It's still delicious, it's filling, and there's no reason to have anything else.

I'm wondering if the smell of movie popcorn will be delicious or nauseating.  Either way, I won't have any;  I'll still be full from lunch.

The movie popcorn didn't affect me one way or the other; I definitely had no desire for it.  After the move we went to a favorite restaurant for dinner, and I had a martini, which was excellent.  I found a salmon entree on the menu that looked pretty good, the fish was served on a butternut squash puree, and topped with spiralized pears and toasted walnuts.  It was quite good, but would have benefited from a green veggie of some sort.  I could have ordered a salad, but I knew that would have been way too much food for me.  I had a glass of red wine with that, and shared a scoop of their homemade ice cream with my husband for dessert.

I woke up around 1:00 AM with a raging headache, went back to sleep and woke up again at 3:30, when I got up and took some advil.  It's still lingering.  Of course, since I didn't reintroduce as I should have, it could be the wine or the dairy;  I don't know which.

I'll likely not post every day from this point on, especially since I'm not following a proper reintroduction protocol.  I do want to record what I eat and drink, just for future reference.

Thursday, February 11:

1:         Hash browns w/ prosciutto, 3 eggs.

PWO: Spoon of almond butter

2:         Tuna ceviche on a pile of greens

3:         Chicken marsala (non-compliant ingredients:  marsala wine, butter, flour),   cauliflower/potato mash, roasted broccoli.

I wasn't planning on having wine with my dinner, but because of last night's headache, I decided to have a glass to see if that's what caused it.  I've never gotten a headache from one glass of wine in the past, so I'm sure it's something else, but without the ice cream this should be a good test.

Three cups of black coffee, one glass of kombucha, cup of green tea, at least 2 quarts of water.

Home gym workout:  three sets each of three exercises.

Walking:  2.29 miles in 37 minutes.  Pace:  16.15 per mile

Friday, February 12:

No headache from the wine.  Yay!

1:         Three eggs scrambled with leftover roasted veggies.

2:         Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, glass of wine, tres leches cake (restaurant meal).

3:         Half of a BBQ chicken flatbread, glass of wine

No workout or walk today, as we're hitting the road for most of the day to pick up our new car.  Whoop!!  The weather turned out to be bad, with sleet, snow, and freezing rain, so we stayed overnight at the location where we picked up the car and drove home on Saturday morning.

Saturday, February 13:

1.         Three egg omelet with ham, veggies, and cheese.  A few potato wedges.  (in hotel restaurant)

2.         Leftover chicken marsala, cauliflower/potato mash, roasted broccoli

3.         Pan-sauteed shrimp with a little white wine and butter sauce, green beans, herbed couscous with pine nuts.  Glass of wine.

Sunday, February 14:

Happy Valentines Day!

My husband and I met on this day, many years ago, so we celebrate Valentines day more than most.  It was a very indulgent day that included lots of cocktails, food, and wine.  I will not post my food log today.  Get over it.

Monday, February 15....back to normal.

Freezing rain has the roads that I walk on covered with ice, so there will be no morning walk.  We did our morning home gym workout.

Three cups of black coffee, cup of green tea, two plus quarts of water.

1:         Two slices of leftover frittata.  Pasta, sour cream, and cheese are non-compliant     ingredients.

2:         Tuna ceviche on a bed of greens.

3:         Pan-sauteed chicken breast (flour) topped with mushrooms, onions, and bell           peppers, roasted broccoli.

Water, coffee, kombucha, tea.

Tuesday, February 16

1:         One slice of leftover frittata, one egg scrambled with leftover mushrooms, onions,  and bell peppers.

2:         Tuna ceviche, greens.

3.         Chicken and apple sausages, cabbage, roasted broccoli.

Water, coffee, kombucha, tea.

While I was eating my breakfast, a friend called with some upsetting news about her health, and I completely lost my appetite.  I set the plate aside and finished it about an hour later.  I didn't want it, but ate it anyway.

Wednesday, February 17

1:         Chicken and apple sausages, one egg, roasted broccoli

2:         Tuna ceviche and greens

3:         Corvina Veracruz, roasted cauliflower with tahini/yogurt sauce, baked sweet potato topped with clarified butter.

We're leaving tomorrow for our ten-day road trip to Key West, so I'll not be posting my menus until we return, at which point I'll be starting my second Whole 30.

One last post before we leave:

Thursday, February 18, 2016

I decided to clean out the fridge for breakfast before we left, and had three eggs, leftover cauliflower, leftover broccoli, and the leftover sauce from last night's fish.  Oh, and half an avocado.  Also, to correct my post yesterday, the cauliflower sauce is only tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and hot sauce, so totally compliant.  I need to remember that for my next W30.

I weighed myself this morning to get a feel for what damage I do on the trip, and I've already gained back two of the pounds I lost.  

• 2 weeks later...

February 28, 2016

We returned home from our road trip yesterday.  I made some good choices while on vacation, and very many more indulgent ones, but I had a great time and am not unhappy with anything I did.  I jumped on the scale this morning, after having had two cups of coffee and a light breakfast, and am only up two pounds from the end of my Whole 30, so didn't actually gain any weight on the trip.  We walked about three miles each day while we were in Key West, so that helped, I'm sure.

I'll be back starting my second Whole 30 tomorrow, so will be posting my log back in the regular log forum.

Archived