Producing More Milk as a low producer

Anyone’s milk supply increase from low production to normal production during whole 30?   My diet was whole 30 for the last several months of my pregnancy and regular paleo in the beginning (I’ve eaten a paleo diet for almost 5 years). I had a hard time gaining weight during pregnancy though.  The last month I actually had to add some paleo bread and baked goods because I could not tolerate starches- potato, poi, ect.  That is such a slippery slope. My milk never came in after baby was born.  I only produced a few ounces a day.  I think I might the only person who actually tried gained weight post baby in hopes a little extra might help my supply- LOL. Against better judgement I ate the oatmeal and drank the Guinness along with trying all the things supplements- moringa, goats rue, extra pumping, at breast supplementation, ect. . Domperidone has helped me increase to about 6-8 oz. a day. I’m back to regular paleo- the oats gave me gas and the Guinness made me break out. I know I need to tighten up my diet and I am looking forward to this whole 30 starting on the 15th. Luckily I can eat starch again- Yeah! I’d love to hear people’s positive experiences to give me a little boost. 

I want to say yes, my supply increased, but it did not for me.  But, I have not done a Whole 30 with a teeny tiny baby.  If your baby is under three or four months and your supply is still regulating, then I think you have a great chance of increasing your supply.  Just eat.  And eat lots.  Don't be afraid of a little fruit, but also make sure you get a good amount of protein.  I usually eat a serving size to rival my husband's at most meals.  And fat.  Eat all the fat.  Get a can of coconut cream from Trader Joe's and aim to eat half of it a day. 

Although smoothies are not recommended on Whole 30, I added a morning on upon waking to make sure I get enough calories/fat.  I posted the recipe before (it's NOT tasty), and I really think it helps.  Plus, I don't have time to prepare a hot breakfast until I get to work.  I use about half a frozen banana, 1 T of brewer's yeast, 2 T ground flaxseed, 2T nutbutter of whatever sort I have (usually almond or cashew), 1 t of moringa and 1-2 T of cocoa powder.  Add coconut or almond milk and blend.  A few hours later, I eat a second breakfast and then I eat lunch and dinner (and occasionally a snack if I need it).  As I said, this is not recommended on Whole 30, but the hard core peeps can call what I am doing a modified Whole 30 if need be.  I am not replicating a milkshake, etc. -- just trying to add in calories/fat under the semi-relaxed rules for a nursing mother.

If you are looking for tips to increase milk production, I have a ton.  Just ask.  I missed my calling as a lactation consultant.  :)

Thanks for your reply.  Baby is about 31/2 months, so maybe there is hope!  I have been thinking about adding a smoothie as well. Sometimes it is hard to make and eat a meal with a little one.  Getting nutrition no handed through a straw is a times a lifesaver! I actually have some beef protein powder, so I was trying to make a meal similar to whole30- beef protein, coco oil, lime, red pepper, spinach, and 1 small orange. Definitely doesn’t sound like a dreamy milkshake- but would get the job done for some quick and easy nutrition. 

Add some moringa and flaxseed to that smoothie -- I bet you would hardly taste it!  :)

I hope you have great success with your milk making.  Eat TONS of fat.  I was so surprised when I started and my milk had LESS of a fatty layer on top despite all the fat I was eating.  I guess it means I'm fat adapted, but I am always trying to eat more so my nursling gets lots, too!  ;)

Archived