Carla's Reintro log

DivaCarla

The Plan.

I am posting my reintro plan here for personal accountability, and if questions come up. This phase is so important that I want witnesses! Reserve the right to rearrange the re-intro. So far, it looks like this:

Day 31 Locally made plain whole milk yogurt (water buffalo, not cow), and maybe regular butter, not ghee. QUESTION: wise to intro cheese the same day or go slower?

Day 34 Wine

Day 37 White or jasmine rice (brown feels harsh will try that later)

Day 40 Cheese in my eggs

Day 43 Ham and bacon (sugar cured) Even local bacon is sugar cured.

Day 47 I may add a grain free chocolate cake, which can be dairy free too if necessary. This is the dessert/treat food group!

Before I head to Arizona, I need to test out beans and corn, so I will know whether or not to eat or avoid southwestern cuisine

Day 49 Pinto beans, soaked 3 times and slow cooked

Day 52 Tortilla chips with my compliant guacamole

Wow, that takes me right up to my flight out West. 

Rice and maybe limited corn are the only grains I want to test. I know grain is a problem: gluten, oats, even buckwheat, and alternative flours. Soy is OUT. Nightshades are very limited. 

Day 31 introduced whole milk local yogurt. So far so good. I had half a cup with 1 T homemade applesauce stirred in at breakfast. With my usual eggs and greens breakfast, it filled me right up. Satiety with a rocket. I could only eat half. (This is a NEW me. If I like food, I won't stop till it is gone.)

I finished it at lunch: same fullness effect. Had one T plain on my plate with curried chicken at dinner at 7:30.

I then worked on a project till 3 am and did not need to eat even though I was up so late. I know it is not good, but sometimes, it happens. 

No gastro effects, and so far no other aches or pains. A bit of itching here and there. I don't think it is yogurt, as the curry had a touch of nightshade in the mix. I will use the spices and a T of tomato sauce for flavor. I am familiar with this reaction. It passes.If it does not, I will suspect yogurt, re-intro again later, and also watch when I add cheese a few days from now. 

2 days compliant in progress now. 

Note on Yogurt reintro. I feel no adverse affects of yogurt. I feel great after eating yogurt on Wednesday. Because I noticed how full it made me feel with just a small amount, I'll use it as a condiment, a fermented nutrient, and an ingredient in other recipes, like curry, middle eastern cuisine, and in place of sour cream. Since snacks and desserts are no longer concepts for me, I won't be using it that way like I used to. Yogurt bodes well for a dairy tolerance. I will keep watching as I add cheese next week. 

Update. I spoke too soon on yogurt. I had new constellation of pimples about 36 hours after yogurt. They seemed different in quality from the nightshade skin breakouts. I am introducing cheese this week. I'll watch for more signs of dairy trouble. 

The Wine Reintro went well. I had a very satisfying, flavorful Old Vine Zinfandel with a grass fed steak. I had a glass and a half of wine. It tasted really good. Then I was done. The rest of the bottle is still here. I have not been tempted to drink it. I had a thought that this wine would be great with chocolate. The thought passed without effort. I have had a chocolate bar in the drawer since before Whole 30 began. Not even a temptation. 

None of the components of wine: alcohol, sugars, sulfites, tannins, or any other grape constituents seems to have an immediate effect. So I'll put wine on my enjoy a good glass when it's worth it list. I am sure I would see some effects if I returned to a glass most nights with dinner. Brakes would come off, metabolic effects show up... I'll keep an eye on it. 

Today we are introducing bacon and ham. We didn't bother to get compliant versions, just put the stuff we had on hand in the freezer for a month. Today is the day we eat it. The main thing I guess is added sugar and nitrates. We got a high end bacon but it still has nitrates and sugar curing. Don't know what's in the ham. Too early to tell if any ill effects. 

On another note, post Whole 30 I am still struggling with constipation. Doing Epsom Salt, flax seed, following all the contradictory vegetable suggestions. I am feeding my gut microbes with fermented vegetables. I am walking, yoga moving, squatting, massaging. , Since the problem has been consistent throughout Whole 30 I can't blame yogurt or any re-entry food.  

Going from effortless "I am so thankful my bowels work perfectly" to working my butt off to make my bowels work is not sustainable. 

I am starting to suspect that a renovation of my gut biome on a grain-free diet may be the culprit. If that is the case, do I just need more time on the grain aspect of Whole 30?

Update. I spoke too soon on yogurt. I had new constellation of pimples about 36 hours after yogurt. They seemed different in quality from the nightshade skin breakouts. I am introducing cheese this week. I'll watch for more signs of dairy trouble. 

The Wine Reintro went well. I had a very satisfying, flavorful Old Vine Zinfandel with a grass fed steak. I had a glass and a half of wine. It tasted really good. Then I was done. The rest of the bottle is still here. I have not been tempted to drink it. I had a thought that this wine would be great with chocolate. The thought passed without effort. I have had a chocolate bar in the drawer since before Whole 30 began. Not even a temptation. 

None of the components of wine: alcohol, sugars, sulfites, tannins, or any other grape constituents seems to have an immediate effect. So I'll put wine on my enjoy a good glass when it's worth it list. I am sure I would see some effects if I returned to a glass most nights with dinner. Brakes would come off, metabolic effects show up... I'll keep an eye on it. 

Today we are introducing bacon and ham. We didn't bother to get compliant versions, just put the stuff we had on hand in the freezer for a month. Today is the day we eat it. The main thing I guess is added sugar and nitrates. We got a high end bacon but it still has nitrates and sugar curing. Don't know what's in the ham. Too early to tell if any ill effects. 

On another note, post Whole 30 I am still struggling with constipation. 4 days without a bowel movement. Puh-leeze!

Doing Epsom Salt, flax seed, following all the contradictory vegetable suggestions. I am feeding my gut microbes with fermented vegetables. I am walking, yoga moving, squatting, massaging. , Since the problem has been consistent throughout Whole 30 I can't blame yogurt or any re-entry food.  

Going from effortless "I am so thankful my bowels work perfectly" to working my butt off to make my bowels work is not sustainable. 

I am starting to suspect that a renovation of my gut biome on a grain-free diet may be the culprit. If that is the case, do I just need more time on the grain aspect of Whole 30?

Archived