Day 1- 

Breakfast- 2 eggs scrambled with chicken fillets and asparagus, all cooked with a bit of ghee. 

Lunch- Pork hash (modified recipe from Whole30 Recipes on Instagram). Minced pork, sweet potato, kale, onion, asparagus, red pepper cooked in coconut oil with chili flakes, marjoram and sage. 

Dinner- chicken breast fillets with roasted carrots and parsnips, and sweet potato mash. 

Thoughts- this was a great, tasty and easy day, though I was home today to do the prep and cooking. But now breakfast and lunch for tomorrow are both already made, and my veggies are cut and prepped for the next few days to make cooking quicker. 

Day 2

Breakfast- a smaller portion of yesterday's pork hash, topped with a fried egg

Snack- Apple

Lunch- chicken fillets, steamed broccoli and SP mash

Snack- 1 serving pistachios

Dinner- small bit of beef (japanese style slices), roasted pumpkin squash, carrots and parsnips. 

Today I can see how my routines, working in a primary school, mean that I snack a bit mindlessly. I definitely needed my morning snack, but my afternoon snack was totally habit. I'm going to aim to not have it tomorrow. I'm still liking that I'm food-smart prepped and want to keep this up. I made a list of what needs to be done each day to make the next day easier. Today I chopped all my veg for tomorrow, as well as took the meat out of the freezer so it's ready to be cooked when I get home from work. Throwing dinner together tomorrow won't take more than 20 minutes. 

I didn't crave anything yet, but I did spend a bit of the day thinking about the possibility of craving. A student brought in lovely treats from the Ukraine and I had to accept them (all lovely chocolates) then I ran out of school. I'll put them on the staff room table tomorrow to get them out of my reach. Still feeling poorly so I won't be back to the gym until Thursday at the earliest. 

Day 3

Still feeling strong and capable. No adverse affects yet, worried that there's so much sugar in my body from Christmas that it'll take a week before it's out. Will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes after I get back to the gym. I'm very active, and only wasn't there this week due to a nasty head cold. But now I wonder if the amount of food I've got ready will be enough and will get me through the day after an intense workout. 

Breakfast- chia seed pudding with coconut milk, a small banana and 10 almonds

Snack- Apple, almonds and a small box of raisins

Lunch- leftover beef and veg from last night plus a chunk of cucumber

Dinner- small pork chop with mashed sweet potato and wilted purple cabbage (cooked with ACV, compliant lardons and white onions)

Day 4! 

I'm super happy today and had a lot of energy! Made it back to workout and finished a filthy fifties. Won't lie, I feel apprehensive about heading into the weekend with the lack of structure they bring, and going to the concert Saturday night. Should be fine though, I've got some good meals planned that will be delicious. 

Breakfast- minced beef with asparagus, red pepper, onions, and kale

Snack- banana

Lunch- left over dinner from last night

Dinner- coconut crusted tuna with a fresh garden salad (romaine, peppers, cucumber, carrots) topped with a few raisins, almonds, fresh lemon juice and olive oil

Day 5. Made it! 

Finally had the headache and tiredness today. Made it through the first little hurdle, missing my usual Friday lunch with my work team at the Vietnamese place. Treated myself to an evening massage, which was heavenly and made me feel a little less lonely for staying in alone on a Friday evening. I'm happy to note that the past two days my afternoon snack has gone by the wayside. Will re-evaluate the morning snack next week, but I feel like it's necessary after the intense workouts. 

Breakfast- left over tuna and salad (got strange looks from people, explained that there's no such thing as breakfast food, but always such thing as healthy food). 

Snack-grapes

Lunch- left over salad and minced beef from yesterday

Dinner- mini potatoes, roasted and chicken breast with a coconut and almond crust (nuggets). Delish! 

Day 6- first tests. 

Had the Bryan Adams concert tonight, danced around all day, listening to good music, being generally happy it was Saturday but noticed that these feelings trigger, or are associated with, wanting a glass of wine. I was supposed to go out for dinner before the concert but I knew there is no real way in HK of assuring compliancy at a restaurant so I cooked for the girls instead. It was nice. I'm feeling lonely though, and it's only a week in, missing brunch, missing lunch, having no social life. I'm single and this makes me a hermit. Also messed up on my food today, need to be weekend warrior ready. 

Breakfast- 2 eggs scrambled with roasted potatoes/onions and a grapefruit

Lunch- missed it really, ate a banana

Dinner- sweet potato fries with pumpkin seeds and paprika, coconut/almond chicken pieces and steamed asparagus/broccoli with lemon juice. 

Hi Nikimac79!  Cooking for your friends was a GREAT way to avoid a slip!!!  NICE WORK!! 

I am new to the forum and though I have done elimination diets in the past I am new to Whole30 too!!  I look forward to following your success and hope that we can help each other along this path to better health! :)

Day 7

Had cravings today. Nothing insane but I did give into the sugar dragon (but with compliant food). Feeling good and ready for next week, did a TON of food prep today. Also tried on most of my clothes today, happily seeing results in tightness already. Was enough of a boost to keep me going. I don't drink enough water on the weekends. At work it's so much easier as the water cooler is there and you pass it 20 times a day. More water is the goal for next weekend. 

Breakfast- 2 fried eggs and pan fried avocado

Snack- banana and a date bar (my acquiescence to the Sugar Dragon)

Lunch- homemade chicken, kale and root vegetable soup

Dinner- roasted mini potatoes with orange sauce chicken and cashews (W30 compliant recipe I tried from online)

1 hour ago, KDiDom said:

Hi Nikimac79!  Cooking for your friends was a GREAT way to avoid a slip!!!  NICE WORK!! 

I am new to the forum and though I have done elimination diets in the past I am new to Whole30 too!!  I look forward to following your success and hope that we can help each other along this path to better health! :)

Hi KDiDom, welcome. How are you finding it so far? 

Day 8

Felt smugly happy about being able to pass up on the handmade german chocolates and actual Scottish shortbread cookies during the staff meeting but they then triggered a sugar craving that's not lasted 3 minutes, it's lasted 3 hours! and still going strong. Tired of justifying what and when I'm eating. People need to back off my food! Lol. Definitely think this is delayed reaction "kill all the things". I still annoyingly ate the grapefruit at snack time when I wasn't actually hungry, but I panicked that I'd be too hungry by the time lunch came. I need to just trust my body and stop putting food in it just because it's food o'clock. I also think I need to reduce the amount of salt I'm using in my cooking. 

Breakfast- chicken soup leftovers

Snack- grapefruit and a date bar

Lunch- 2 scrambled eggs, an avocado, 2 mandarin oranges, a few chicken chunks and 1/2 a red pepper (swapped my meals)

Dinner-leftover orange chicken, cashews and potatoes.

Day 9

Good day today- still had to blast past the chocolates, the remainder of which sat on the staff table until lunchtime before all were gone. It's a bit easier as it's not gone forever, but gone for now until I control the chocolate, rather than the chocolate controlling me. Have a big test ahead of me the next two days as I'm out all evening both evenings, trying to get my food organized and ready now so there are no excuses. 

Breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs, avocado, red pepper and cucumber

Snack-apple, raisins, coconut lara bar

Lunch- leftover soup, 1 mandarin orange

Dinner- cottage pie with beef, carrots and sweet potato topping, 2 slices of prosciutto

Day 10

Tougher today, skipped out on Tess's baby show and a chance to see all of my old friends simply because I don't yet have the strategies to get through a social event. Second the wine at the hairdressers. Made it though :) Also, note I made it through without my mid-day snack, only snacked afternoon b/c of necessity before seeing Brad.

Breakfast- 2x prosciutto egg cups and an avocado and a mandarin

Snacks- 2 mandarins and a lara bar (late afternoon snack as dinner was delayed from hair)

Lunch- shepherd's pie, cucumber and yellow pepper

Dinner- chicken thighs with bean sprout stirfry

Day 11

Stressful day at work and I picked up a cookie, sniffed it, then said, NO. I want this. People were really commenting on me today, from the white's of my eyes to my skin and my dress (which fits now, and didn't a week ago). Stay. The. Course. I'm even going out tomorrow night. One of my good friends has celiac disease, and if she can manage restaurants with no dairy and no gluten at risk of hospitalization, then surely I can make it out too. 

Breakfast- 2 egg/prosciutto cups, cucumber and red pepper

Lunch- Shepherd's pie and 2 mandarin oranges

Dinner- left over chicken and stirfry from yesterday. 

Day 15

This week is "China Week" at school, celebrating Chinese New year. There will be so much rice and so many dumplings and spring rolls and char siu bao around I need to be vigilant. 

Breakfast- 2 boiled eggs, devilled style, 2 ham slices, cucumber and yellow pepper slices

Lunch- mixed vegetables and pork

Dinner- green chicken curry, LOADED with veg, served with cauliflower rice. Surprisingly good, the "rice"

Day 16! Past the halfway point. Feeling a bit over it. But that's stupid as I've seen such good gains in the first half. Just need to rally to the end now. I do still get the thrill of being in charge of what I put in my body, and I love that the snacking is mainly gone. 

Breakfast- scrambled eggs, potatoes and ham

Lunch- leftover curry from dinner last night, 2 mandarin oranges

Dinner- 2 minced pork patties made with pine nuts, turmeric, basic and oregano, with steamed green beans and asparagus, almonds and raisins 

NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER! 

Archived