Nicole's Whole30 Round 1

eatspinraverepeat

Day 21-22

I am behind on logging.

These days were very similar to everything I have been eating for the past 3 weeks, but I did add some raisins/coconut flakes to my dinners.

I have been having headaches in the morning, which I believe are hormonal, but it makes it tough.

I am very much looking forward to having a bit more leeway after re-intro. I miss eating snacks in the afternoon.

Day 23 going strong!

Day 23

Taking it easy again and skipping my morning workouts

Meal 1: 2 eggs in ghee + spinach + sweet potato + 1/4 large avocado + 1 medium gala apple + coffee

Meal 2: Salsa Verde Chicken + Yellow Cauliflower Rice + Banana + Sugar Snap Peas + Carrots + La Croix Water

Meal 3: Mango + Ground Turkey + Zucchini Noodles + Mushrooms sauteed in ghee with garlic powder and salt/pepper + Banana + Coconut Flakes + Coconut Oil

I feel stuffed after dinner, so I need to figure out how to not go into my third meal absolutely starving. I felt ravenous when I got home! My goal for tomorrow is to not eat anything until everything is plated.

Onto Day 24!

Day 24

Meal 1: 2 eggs (in 1tsp coconut oil) + ground turkey + 4 handfuls spinach + 1/4 large avocado + 2 cups black coffee

I excluded my normal sweet potato or alternative carb here and did just fine. Made it all the way to 12 without feeling an inkling of hunger. I should note that I did not work out this morning.

This is my third day skipping my normal morning workout and my second day of limiting exercise to lunchtime/afternoon walks.

I am actually feeling better each day, so I believe I have been a victim of overtraining. I will be back to exercising tomorrow and will track how I feel.

Meal 2: CHIPOTLE --> Carnitas + romaine + guacamole + pico de gallo salsa (confirmed ingredients with the person who made the pico de gallo this morning)

Meal 3: Roasted brussel sprouts (roasted in olive oil with garlic) + chicken apple sausage + two handfuls cherry tomatoes + stone ground mustard (compliant)

This was a pretty yummy dinner. I really had to stop myself from eating all of the brussel sprouts. They were delicious. But I decided to give myself a break and see if I was hungry later...two hours after dinner...I'm not. I'm glad I made myself think on that!

I am feeling like this is second nature at this point, even if sometimes I struggle here and there with old emotional eating baggage. I am currently game-planning how I will take the lessons from Whole30 into my post-Whole30 life. I really want to maintain the awareness regarding when I feel a pull for food when in fact that is not what I need at all. It has always been a struggle for me. I also want to work on reminding myself that meals out do not have to be indulgent; I don't need to eat everything on my plate; I can make healthy choices at restaurants. I had that mentality for the longest time, where I really made healthy choices regardless, and then somewhere in time I transitioned to this idea that when I went out I was "treating myself"...and then I just ended up "treating myself" all the time. Recipe for disaster (and weight gain!). I will just have to keep reminding myself that I am taking care of my long-term health.

Calories in calories out is true in terms of weight loss; however, the quality has a huge impact on how I feel and I need to remember that when I make choices about food.

Anyways, enough musings! Onto Day 25!

Day 25

So exciting to be approaching the end here.

Meal 1: 2 eggs in coconut oil + 3 handfuls spinach + 1/4 avocado + coconut flakes + coffee

Ran 4 miles a few hours after this.

Meal 2: (~5 hours after Meal 1) Cauliflower rice + salsa verde chicken + roasted brussel sprouts from last night with curry powder + handful of strawberries

Snack (pre-massage): 1 small gala apple + almond butter (this was a poor decision, I didn't really need it)

Meal 3: Zoodles + chicken breast + compliant marinara sauce + red bell pepper (raw) + 1/2 avocado

This was a really delicious dish. I also ate some coconut flakes and almond butter after this (I am now out of coconut flakes and will not be buying anymore). I am logging right now because I feel like my sugar dragon has gotten the best of me with the coconut flakes and I need to close out my meals for the day so I am not tempted to go back for more. I haven't resolved this bad habit so I think I will need to continue to eliminate this as an option for me for 30 days post-W30.

My skin is really oily, and I suspect it is due to the fats I have been eating. Perhaps too much ghee and coconut oil. I will make an effort to use avocado where ever possible as my fat source, or avocado oil and see how my skin fares in the next week.

Onto Day 26...we are almost there!

Day 26

I decided I'll try to do meal by meal updates through the end of this! It may help me minimize the urge to snack and also will allow me to expand more on my feelings with each meal.

Last night, I made a commitment to not eat any "pseudo treats" for 8 weeks, using a website called Stikk.com. There are options to bet money on it (donate it to charity, donate to a charity you dislike, send it to a friend, etc), but I went with the free option for now. Through Whole30, I know that I can keep myself accountable, so I think it is more of writing it down and cementing a start date that really matters. Looking forward to not having an option in regard to mixing up anything that might be technically compliant, but is not really good for me.

Meal 1: 2 eggs in 1/2 tsp coconut oil (cutting down on my oils this week) + 3 handfuls spinach + 1/4 large avocado + 50 grams chicken breast

I added extra protein in and avoided adding carbs with this meal to see how I fare in terms of hunger before meal 2. This should be pretty hardy. This morning I need to get the rest of the food I want to meal prep today and plan my spin class for tomorrow.

Meal 2: (the extra protein helped me keep on until noon) SV chicken + cauliflower rice + 1 small gala apple + leftover roasted brussel sprouts

Snack (had to because I had to wait for my friend to come over to make dinner): 1 small gala apple + ~2 tbsp almond butter

Meal 3: Melissa's chicken hash + sweet potato medallions (thinly sliced, tossed in coconut oil, salt & pepper, and roasted) + la croix water

I successfully avoided most high carb foods today except at dinner. We'll see how my body feels tomorrow. I'm ramping up for participating in a leaning out challenge after this, so I am really pushing myself to be strict with my carb intake and cut down on fruit so that I can see a budge on the scale at the end of this week and get some extra motivation to continue leaning out.

Onto Day 27 (wow! Almost there!)

Day 27

Meal 1 (post-WO): 2 eggs in 1/2tsp coconut oil + 1/4 large avocado + marinara sauce + 3 handfuls spinach + 1/2 serving chicken breast + coffee

Made it a solid 5.5 hours before lunch

Meal 2: salsa verde chicken + yellow cauli rice + sugar snap peas + baby carrots + 1/2 cup cut up strawberries + lacroix water

Meal 3: Apple Cinnamon RX bar

3 mile run

Meal 4: Chicken hash + roasted green beans tossed in coconut oil + 2 tbsp almond butter

Very full. I could probably eat less tomorrow.

Can't believe we only have 3 days left after this!

Onto Day 28!

Double Post

Day 28

Meal 1: 2 eggs in 1/2tsp coconut oil + 1/4 large avocado +  3 handfuls spinach + serving of chicken hash + coffee

Meal 2: salsa verde chicken + yellow cauli rice + roasted green beans + 1/2 cup cut up strawberries + lacroix water

Meal 3: Blueberry Rx Bar

Taught spin class

Meal 4: Spinach salad with grilled chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, and avocado + olive oil (got at a restaurant)

Day 29

Meal 1: 2 eggs in 1/2tsp coconut oil + 1/4 large avocado +  3 handfuls spinach + 1/2 cup ground turkey + coffee

Meal 2: salsa verde chicken + yellow cauli rice + sugar snap peas + baby carrots + 1/2 cup cut up strawberries + lacroix water

Meal 3: Coconut Chocolate Rx Bar

2.5 mile run (with sprint sets)

Meal 4: Ground turkey + zoodles + sauteed mushrooms + raw red bell pepper (1/2) + banana + almond butter/ghee + roasted green beans

Thinking back, I should have made sweet potato, as I obviously had a need for extra carbs. I think the next time I want to reach for banana and/or almond butter around dinner, I will force myself to cut up a sweet potato instead. And if I don't want to go through that process...then I probably don't need anything!

Looking forward to Day 30 tomorrow. So happy to have made it!

Well I certainly made it! Proving to myself that I didn't actually need to eat...was just stressed out!

Meal 2: SV chicken on zoodles + 1/2 red bell pepper...followed by a birthday celebration at work, baby carrots, tomatoes, pineapple, apple, strawberries and berries + la croix water (my co-worker and I had a very positive influence on everyone due to our W30 leanings!)

Meal 3: SV chicken (1 serving) pre-workout

Meal 4: GT Guava Kombucha + remaining SV chicken (very little) + small roasted chicken breast (1/3 a full breast) + yellow cauliflower rice 

I worried I ate Meal 4 too late, but I do need the protein post teaching my spin class. I feel great on day 30 here and I will continue with relatively strict W30 until further notice. I love it, and I'm so happy I made it all the way through.

2 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Thank you! Did you make it too? How do you feel?

Yes, I finished the same day that you did. I'm very glad I've done it and could go on for 30 days! I lost 9 pounds and feel lighter, leaner and more energetic (didn't get the tiger blood though) my athletic performance got better too. I didn't crave any particular food but missed wine a lot, so I had some yesterday and ended up having more than I should have. Don't miss it so much now! I got used to eating that way will continue eating mostly whole30ish from now on. My bf's even thinking of doing it with me next time!

2 hours ago, Cheezochka said:

Yes, I finished the same day that you did. I'm very glad I've done it and could go on for 30 days! I lost 9 pounds and feel lighter, leaner and more energetic (didn't get the tiger blood though) my athletic performance got better too. I didn't crave any particular food but missed wine a lot, so I had some yesterday and ended up having more than I should have. Don't miss it so much now! I got used to eating that way will continue eating mostly whole30ish from now on. My bf's even thinking of doing it with me next time!

I'm glad you made it too! What amazing SVs and NSVs.

Funny enough, wine was the only thing that I really pined for at some points, even though I am not a big drinker. I have been watching Big Little Lies on HBO and it seems that every scene someone is drinking a glass of wine, and that always made me want a glass for myself. I haven't reintroduced anything yet, but wine will be my first test on Monday. I hope the rest of re-intro goes well for you!

Archived