My first-ever Whole30 starts today!

JaneyD

Hi everyone! I just started my first-ever Whole30 today, and am pleasantly surprised to discover that I'm more excited than nervous, more motivated than bummed. It's definitely helped that I discovered these forums first, so many thanks for this supportive community!

I decided to take the leap because I generally feel like crud and the conventional medical community doesn't have any answers. As someone with celiac, I've been down this road before -- lots of vague symptoms that no one could explain, that suddenly cleared up once I was (finally) diagnosed and went gluten-free. I've been considering an elimination diet for a long time, but could never pull the trigger. Thanks to a family member who announced she was going Whole30 this month, I decided to fish or cut bait. :-)

Currently enjoying my first coffee with home-made almond milk, a dash of coconut oil and some cinnamon. Huh -- I actually like it!

Looking forward to learning from, and sharing this journey with, you all!

Hi! I've been gluten-free for years too, though was never formally diagnosed with celiac (my doctor said a "significant number" of her patients felt better without gluten in their diet and she saw no reason to test...just avoid it if it makes you feel bad). I've also been "wary of dairy" for a few years since dairy was a prime trigger for gall bladder pain in the months before I lost my gallbladder. I have always wanted to try a proper "elimination diet" so on Day 3 of the Whole 30 I'm pretty excited to get through the month and start testing foods.

That's a neat idea about adding a little coconut oil to coffee. Have you tried powder collagen in coffee? It also changes the mouth-feel to a creamier texture.

Hi Aly! Sorry for the late response; I've been mostly offline, prepping, cooking, eating, cleaning up, and starting all over again ... lol!

After going through an expensive genetic test and two endoscopies to officially confirm my diagnosis, I completely appreciate (and agree with!) your doctor's non-aggressive approach. So glad you feel better without gluten! Until now, I've never tried giving up dairy (especially cheese) because I love it so much, but have heard enough anecdotes of people with celiac who develop lactose issues that it wouldn't surprise me if I'm sensitive to it as well. I guess I'll know when I try re-introducing. Honestly, I thought I was going to miss wine the most, but so far it's cheese!

I have not tried powdered collagen, but will look for some tomorrow -- thanks for the idea!

Going on Day 5 and so far, so good!

Archived