Ellie's Whole30 log

EllieBellie

Day 1

This forum is great! Nice to be able to log this experience with others. I love my friends and family, but they do think I'm a little bonkers for not eating carbohydrates anymore ('not even whole grains?').

Yesterday went well, I think. I ate a lot, because I figured the most important thing for the next two weeks is to not fall off the wagon! That said, pure almond butter is expensive so I shouldn't eat it quite so quickly!

For brunch (Sundays are for lie ins!) I had a big veggie egg scramble (red onion, spinach, tomatoes, garlic) with a squeeze of fresh lime. Dinner was fresh tomato and chorizo sauce over spaghetti squash. I know we're not supposed to 'paleofy' our normal meals, but I figure spaghetti squash is naturally spaghetti-like! Snacks were carrot sticks, green apple with almond butter and blueberries.

I won't be logging all my meals (cooking for one means my weekly menus have a lot of repetition), but I will be logging the experience, the mental challenges, sharing fun new dishes etc.

I'm off to find a nice coffee place to while away the holiday with a good book.

Day 2

Similar kinda day. Proud of myself for cooking up meatballs (from the Nom Nom Paleo blog) and roasting a big batch of broccolini to take to work this week.

B- Egg wrap with spinach and tomatoes

L- Spaghetti squash and tomato

D- Meatballs (ground beef, carrot, red onion, garlic, parsley, egg), roast broccolini, fresh tomato sauce

S-blueberries, raw carrot, apple with almond butter (but less than yesterday!)

I was gonna go outside and explore on Memorial Day, but it was so humid that I went for a short walk and spent the rest of the day reading by the air con!

Day 3

Still gorging on almond butter a little too much, and now I'm too full! Think I'm gonna leave it out of my shopping basket next week!

Food was pretty similar to yesterday. Had leftover meatballs, broccoli and tomato sauce for lunch. Dinner I stuffed a bell pepper with tuna, black olives, lemon juice, parsley and lots of pepper. Nom.

So tomorrow the aim is to have my evening apple without almond butter. Boiling up eggs for emergency protein right now!

No craving pangs yet, but not a lot of stress either.

Day 4

I'm actually starting over tomorrow. I'm not entirely certain I cheated, so I don't feel too guilt ridden, but still - bummer. Breakfast was fine (boiled eggs, carrot sticks), dinner was fine (more tuna-pepper cups) and my snacking was under control (apple without almond butter - yay!). However, at lunch my workmates and I went for Indian food, and although it was nice and fresh and I tried as best I could, I'm pretty sure there must have been non-Whole30 compliant ingredients.

Y'see, in the UK most upscale, independent Indian restaurants cook curries in ghee and sweeten with coconut milk (at least in South Indian cooking, as this was) so I thought that if I went for the veg-and-meat options and eschew the rice, naan, peanut sauces and lentils I'd be fine. However, I'm certain my chicken and tomato curry was sweeter than coconut-based sauces usually are, and so I'm taking this as opportunity to refresh tomorrow and be even cleaner in my eating habits.

Besides, I want to eat this way most of time for the rest of my life, so what's another 4 days, eh?!

Take 2

Day 1

Much better! I even went out for lunch somewhere that only had sandwiches! I ordered a tuna sandwich with a side of coleslaw (no mayo), disposed of the bread and made an impromptu 'tuna salad'.

B - Small mountain of garlic-scrambled eggs on sautéed spinach

L - Tuna salad

D - Leftover meatballs and broccolini

I'm still overeating slightly on 'trigger' snacks, and polished off my green apples and almond butter. This week I'm gonna buy lots of raw veggies, cold cuts and raw nuts instead.

Day 2

Best day yet, I think.

B - Courgette/zucchini eggs fritters

L - Last of my meatballs and roasted broccolini

D - Went out to local cafe and had garden salad with grilled chicken (no dressing or croutons)

S - Too much coffee! Small handful of black olives and mint tea

Though I had to start over on the food, today marks the first week of keeping up with my other resolutions. I've been doing a small amount of exercise every day and feeling the results already! While I've not hit the 8 hour mark, I have been going to bed before 11pm on weeknights (I get up at 6am) and feel so much more alert during the day.

So, feeling good right now.

Day 3

I always eat loads during the weekend! Saturday is the day I buy all the foods.

B - Skipped. Got up late and wasn't hungry.

L- Massive salad of red cabbage, yellow pepper, carrot, radish, tomatoes, coriander(/cilantro) topped with grilled tuna steak and lemon/pepper/ginger dressing

D - Black olives, non-additive turkey breast and carrot (still full from lunch and snacks)

S - Too many blueberries and nuts!

Archived